Your Email Address:

First Name:

Finally Cured After 38 Years of Hell? LADIES PLEASE READ

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I can remember reading that the female contraceptive pill has been known to cure bad breath in certain people INCLUDING MEN who take it.

There could be so many ways in which hormones could cause this problem, ranging from very simple obvious ones such as gum inflammation, to TMAU, to the way in which the digestive system is affected etc.

I don't know if it's a coincidence of when we start becoming aware of a lot of things, but so many cases of BB do seem to start during puberty, and this is a time when hormonal changes happen. It's at a point in life when nearly all adults start to develop bodily odours too. No coincidence there.

Hopefulone, just incase it is all relating to inflammation of your gums, it might be worth getting yourself a waterpik. Put a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in the water and you'll completely remove that from the whole equation.

Virtuous Viking
Junior
Post by Virtuous Viking »

Halitosisux, based on some of your posts I've read, you seem to hold a strong view on TMAU being a leading cause of bb. Have you been tested, and if so, what did the process entail?
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

My gums are perfectly healthy. I had bleeding during my pregnancy (a little bit), which is very common, but hygenist/dentist took care of it. I also did laser gum cleaning thinking that might be causing bad breath. But my dentist is pretty sure, its nothing to do with gums as they are very healthy. I use waterpik almost everyday or sometimes few times a day since 2007. I mix hydrogen peroxide with water , sometimes some mouthwash in it. It does feel good. I use 3% hydrogen per oxide with water which is not a food grade. I am pretty sure my bb is at the extreme back of the tongue or from esophagus and not from my teeth gums.
I also started getting some odor from my nose - it might have been all the time, but I am observing all sympotms carefully now. I have acne and its increasing. This may be because of TMAU
Halitosisux - Any update on TMAU test would be appreciated.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

@Tibya

Did you have BB before your pregnancy? How old were you when it started?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi, no I've never been tested for TMAU, but in the early 90's, while desperating looking for the cause of my BB, I stumbled on TMAU in books and newspapers and began a correspondence with a doctor from St. Mary's hospital in London. I can't remember the name of the doctor, but after giving him my symptoms and history, he assured me that it was highly unlikely that I had TMAU.

Every human produces trimethylamine (TMA) in their gut which then gets absorbed into the bloodstream. And 1 in 100 humans have enough of this chemical in their bloodstream to start causing problems with odour.

Doctors always tell us it's extremely rare - and the primary form of TMAU is extremely rare - but the acquired forms are not.

The cause of TMAU is excessive amounts of (TMA) in the bloodstream. Then it depends on how much and in what proportions of that gets released in sweat, saliva, mucus, the lungs etc. It's different in each case.

There are lots of ways that excessive amounts of TMA can build up in the bloodstream. The primary cause is the body's inability or reduced ability to convert this very smelly chemical into it's non-odourous oxidized form (TMAO). The liver normally produces enzymes which do this, but for various genetic reasons this enzyme can be either less effective than normal, or even completely inaffective, so the TMA builds up.
Stress and hormonal changes are both factors which can vary the how effectively TMA can be dealt with in the bloodstream.

I don't know whether it's possible to test the amount of TMA on the actual breath or the concentration in the saliva and mucus. Considering all the shit we all get told about bad breath and how plausible it is for TMA to be the reason for it, you'd think there would be more known about such possibilities. I think this approach to diagnosis would be far more useful to bad breath sufferers than the usual type of testing for TMAU.
HopefulOne
Advanced

Post by HopefulOne »

I do own a water pik and have used it religiously with hydrogen peroxide. It helped somewhat but did not make my bad breath go away. I have also had extensive teeth cleanings and scalings yet my bad breath persisted. I do believe my gums were more inflammed during my cycle (supported by research) which did increase my bad breath during that time, but I still had a terrible taste and odor every single day. My oral hygiene was impeccable, so I always knew there was another cause. Chlorophyl did help to somewhat mask the odor, but my stomach could not take it....I was always naseous so I stopped taking it.

I do believe my bad breath was hormone related. Some kind of way, my hormones did not interact well with my body chemistry causing a foul taste in my mouth. Last night after brushing my teeth I ate a few pieces of sugary candy (always a deal breaker for me). My tongue was still pink this morning with just a hint of morning breath. The morning breath went away after a regular brushing (no flossing, no mouthwash).
HopefulOne
Advanced

Post by HopefulOne »

Tibya,

My adult step daughter also suffered from extreme adult acne....she also had terrible breath. There could be a hormonal connection. In addition, she suffered from excruciating migraine headaches. There are many studies linking bad breath and pregnancy...I believe the culprit is progesterone. The only problem with trying to regulate the hormones with birth control pills is the pills contain both estrogen and progesterone, but they may be worth a try. I don't remember how my breath was during my brief stint on the pill, but I do remember kissing my boyfriend all the time. After getting off the pill, my next boyfriend told me my breath always smelled bad.

I would never advocate for any woman to undergo a hysterectomy for bad breath...cause it is a MAJOR SURGERY. I did it for other reasons and lucked out. The lupron shot which temprarily shuts down the ovaries would probably be a better option, although many women experience terrible side effects. Research, Reseaarch, Research.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hydrogen peroxide will oxidize TMA into TMAO. So, if the cause of the odour and bad taste in your mouth was TMA in your case, as it was for Malory (forum member), then it would get rid of the odour for a short while, bearing in mind that hydrogen peroxide will also neutralize lots of other foul smelling chemicals produced by bacteria.
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

[quote="HopefulOne"]Tibya,

My adult step daughter also suffered from extreme adult acne....she also had terrible breath. There could be a hormonal connection. In addition, she suffered from excruciating migraine headaches.

I have had acne since my teens.
My acne has increased, small spots all over, but its not painful. I have seen a dermatogloist and she says its just hair follicle inflammation and very very common nothing serious.
I have bb since last 7-8 yrs. It increased with my 2nd pregnancy. But it was always there after my 1st child was born. I don't recollect whether I had bb during my 1st pregnancy. My migrane is under control in the sense that now I know what triggers it and I have maintained a diary to track the migrane symptoms. Most of the time its before my monthly periods or somewhere during this time.
I have had gestational diabetes, but its under control.
I am on prescription migrane medication. But I guess, migrane is more common in women and is bb.

I cannot smell my bb, nor can my husband and kids.
I read somewhere one should keep in door plants to get rid of allergies, and plants give oxygen and has chlorphyll ,so you breathe in fresh air. I do not go out much because bb, so may be these indoor plant may be a good idea. I am stressed because I do not have a job. This may be another cause.
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

Archimonde wrote:@Tibya

Did you have BB before your pregnancy? How old were you when it started?
As far as I recollect, I did not have BB before my pregancy. It started after my 1st child was born, and has increased a lot after my 2nd child.
hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

check on estrogen dominance because protesgerone usually not the problem.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

hali_grl wrote:check on estrogen dominance because protesgerone usually not the problem.
Estrogen levels can easily be lowered with drugs, male athletes and gym rats who take stereoids to increase testosterone also take a drug to reduce estrogen so they don't develop 'bitch tits' (i think that's the reason). I bet any gym has someone dealing such a drug.

But estrogen has been more researched than any other hormone, wouldn't we/science know about bb being a symptom of too much estrogen? I'm leaning toward progesterone as the culprit. This is all speculation of course.
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

Archimonde wrote:
hali_grl wrote:check on estrogen dominance because protesgerone usually not the problem.
But estrogen has been more researched than any other hormone, wouldn't we/science know about bb being a symptom of too much estrogen? I'm leaning toward progesterone as the culprit. This is all speculation of course.
Hey, I think estrogen maybe a related with bb. I know there is lot more research on estrogen, but then again bb/gum bleeding/periodental chances are very high and common during pregnancy when estrogen levels are v.high
Lets see
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Tibya wrote:
Hey, I think estrogen maybe a related with bb. I know there is lot more research on estrogen, but then again bb/gum bleeding/periodental chances are very high and common during pregnancy when estrogen levels are v.high
Lets see
Yeah, who knows?

But progesterone is also higher during pregnancy. And high level of progesterone is associated with GERD.

I found a thread on a forum about women complaining about developing GERD after taking a progesterone cream http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/i ... opic=19420

They were already estrogen dominant (very common) and had no problem until they started taking progesterone cream.

Too much progesterone seems like a pretty rare medical condition, i can't find on google if there is a drug that can lower it. If it's indeed such a rare medical condition, then it makes sense that doctors wouldn't know it can indirectly cause bb.
hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

google estrogen dominance I came across some very interesting info.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic