Your Email Address:

First Name:

Could This Be a Way To Measure Bad Breath From Gut / Blood?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Jenny

Could This Be a Way To Measure Bad Breath From Gut / Blood?

Post by Jenny »

This might be a very long shot or maybe not.

I've been researching ways to measure BB since most of us can't smell ourselves and therefore cannot gauge the effectiveness of the things we are trying. From research, these are pretty much the 2 machines available -

1) Halimeter (About $2000) - Measures Hydrogen Sulfide & Methyl Mercaptan.

2) OralChroma (About $6000) - Measures Hydrogen Sulfide, Methyl Mercaptan & Dimethyl Sulfide.

The OralChroma is said to be superior because unlike the Halimeter, it can measure "Dimethyl Sulfide" (this is said to be the BB that is bloodbourne/coming from the gut). This is what I would need because I'm 200% certain my very severe BB is not from the mouth. And despite the high price, I'm seriously considering purchasing it.

So while waiting to hear back from the manufacturers, I decided to research if there was a cheaper machine or way to simply test "Dimethyl Sulfide".

I've come across these tool called 'Draeger Tubes for Dimethyl Sulfide'. Don't want to post any links. Pls google it and you will see it available on several websites.

They are selling 5 tubes for $90. They are supposedly able to give an accurate measure of Dimethyl Sulfide in the air (it takes 15 minutes or less to get the results). In researching its uses, it says it can be used to measure air gases in work places, hospitals, confined spaces, etc.

I'm now of course wondering if this could effectively measure Dimethyl Sulfide from the breath. And if so, since the Draeger Tubes are available for different gases, there might also be tubes for measuring Hydrogen Sulfide & Methyl Mercaptan.

So I wanted to share this, and also hopefully get feedback from you all. Especially anyone knowledgeable about these tubes and gases that can advice if they could measure BB gases.

I'm going to further research it, safety wise and how exactly it is used. If I find it safe, then I will definitely like to buy and try this out. Hopefully it could be a cheap alternative to spending thousands on a gas machine.

ETA - Please don't take all my words for fact. All the information I shared is stuff that I researched and found online.