Your Email Address:

First Name:

My attempt to find my cure

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
yarahe

saliva PH

Post by yarahe »

jackson did you check you saliva ph?

jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

No. Never done that, Yarahe.
kris
Total Newbie
Post by kris »

Hi jackson,
i think that you shuld be tested for h.pylori before start the triple antibiotic treatment.
I was h.p. positive and at the end of 2013 i eradicated it with metronidazole, amoxicillin, PPI twice a day for 10 days + l.reuteri probiotic. Since then my bb has decreased (no more acid taste when i wake up) but not cured, my white tongue remained.
Antibiotics affect the foreign bacteria that cause infections as well as normal flora, wich include the bacterias culprit of bb, that's why (in my opinion) after a while bb cames back.
Please check your pm, thanks
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

Not much to add by way of my experiments/cure search.

So far: Tried metroniadazole. Wasn't expecting much but 100% made my breath smell of nothing. Was over-joyed. Stopped using it after a week, and bad breath slowly came back, and I'm now back at square 1.

Now:
I'm going pro-biotic crazy for a few weeks.
I tried pro-biotics years ago and they didn't help, but I'm going to try again and be stricter based on some peoples apparent success.
I started about 4 days ago. So far, the only thing of note is that my tongue is *slightly* less coated.
However, I'm certain that my bad breath is nothing to do with my tongue coating. It doesn't smell at all.
I'm taking pro-biotic pills, eating lots of pro-biotic yoghurt, and I'm also pouring a sachet of powder (pro-biotic+vitamin C) into my mouth each day.
Nothing in the way of BB improvement yet though.

Very soon:
Ordered some grapefruit seed extract. Gonna try using it in a saline flush.
I'm not sure if my sinus is the cause of my BB or not. I have no idea where the smell comes from, really. Heard of some people having success with this, and it's fairly cheap so gonna try.
One concern is that some people damaged their sense of smell which is the last thing I need, as then I won't even know if other things I try in the future are working or not as I won't be able to smell my own breath!!

Will update in a few weeks. Not expecting any improvement.
After this it'll probably be another round of metro! One person I read about was apparently cured after a 2nd course.
nikon

Post by nikon »

Dude don't just try taking antibiotics just because you thought it worked. I got sick before and had to take prescribed antibiotics for months. And just before getting clear of my illness and antibiotics, my BB started. Antibiotics are not good for the body and use it only when necessary.

You need to have your sinuses checked, you may have the same problem as I am. PND is post nasal drip, look it up in wiki. My sinuses were clogged for I dunno how many years and got it cleared just 2 years ago. Insist x-ray and ultrasound on your sinuses. You may also want to check if you have tonsilolith and acid reflux.
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

I seem to always be going around in circles as to working out what/where the smell is actually coming from.

For a while, I was thinking along the lines of various stomach issues / infections and things such as h pylori.
If I burp, there is no real smell. So I don't think it's coming from my stomach.

I keep coming back to my tonsils. Possibly also a post nasal drip/sinus issue.
I do this thing where I kind of breath in and out through my nose, but they're not real breaths. I don't know how to describe what im doing. Sort of flexing my sinuses? I can feel a kind of 'sticky' sensation and hear a little noise when I do it.

Do everyone's tonsil stones smell the same?
When my breath is bad, it smells like a milder version of tonsil stones.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think there's enough evidence to warrant a tonsilectomy.
I've spoke to my GP once who didn't even entertain the idea of referring me to have my tonsils cut out.
He said they were nice and small tonsils and have been doing a good job for me based on the fact that I'd not had recurring throat infections according to my medical records.

Next time I see him, I'm gonna make an appointment based on my possible post nasal drip. I think this leads to tonsils stones (mucus runs down the back of the throat and gets trapped in the tonsils where it calcifies and turns into a horrid little stone).

Don't know if fixing the post nasal drip will do much for my breth, though.
From reading all of your stories and on other similar sites, I've not seen much, if any, success on taking that route.

But then, I don't know how i'll be able to convince my Doc to refer me to an ENT surgeon.
Maybe I could lie about having pain in tonsils or something? I'm not sure.
yarahe

Post by yarahe »

jackson don't do my mistake! i've been through tonsillectomy because i thought it's coming from my tonsills and the doctor said to me exactly the same words he said to you.
so forget about your tonsils
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

yarahe wrote:jackson don't do my mistake! i've been through tonsillectomy because i thought it's coming from my tonsills and the doctor said to me exactly the same words he said to you.
so forget about your tonsils
But there's no way of knowing.
And of course, there's been lots of people for whom having a tonsillectomy DID cure their bad breath.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say there's about a 30% chance at a guess that getting my tonsils removed would cure me.

I cleaned my tonsils about 2 hours ago. blasted them with a water syringe.
I just checked in the mirror with a flashlight, and already there is yellow mucus in the cripts of my tonsils. The same stuff that, when left for a day or so, turns into disgusting smelling tonsil stones.

To further confuse the issue, even though tonsil stones smell like death when they are crushed with your fingers, I'm not certain that they cause bad breath when they are just sitting in your throat.

My friend who actually introduced me to tonsil stones when he told me what they were because he sometimes gets them, has the FRESHEST breath that you cn imagine. Even when he wakes up in the morning. ONe of those lucky guys with baby fresh breath - Yet he sometimes gets tonsil stones.
yarahe

Post by yarahe »

my tonsills removed and the bb is still there.

i remember the words of my doctors. "why do you want to remove them? they are beautiful and small there is no way they could make your bb"

but i was thinking that for sure this is the problem and i suffered for 2 weeks the rehabilitation is realy bad.

i'm begging you don't do it.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

yarahe wrote:my tonsills removed and the bb is still there.

i remember the words of my doctors. "why do you want to remove them? they are beautiful and small there is no way they could make your bb"

but i was thinking that for sure this is the problem and i suffered for 2 weeks the rehabilitation is realy bad.

i'm begging you don't do it.
There's an old saying "you know your own body". Alot of doctors whilst intelligent still know jack shit about chronic halitosis. Always comes the patronising "have you tried mouth wash?" or the classic "have you tried chewing gum?". Their comprehension of halitosis doesn't stretch beyond garlic, coffee and onions causing BB.

I waited months to see an oral medicine consultant only to be asked "have you tried chewing gum?" at that point in the chair I gave up on that particular session.

come, come nuclear bomb.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

update: Been going probiotic mad for a few weeks now, but it looks like that's another thing I can definitely cross off my list.
I've tried taking lots of them a few years ago and they didn't help, but I thought i'd give them another shot on the basis of some posters advice.
Sad to say no change.

I've also began my next planned experiment which was grapefruit seed extract mized in with a saline solution.
I'm already fairly confident even after on 3 days that this was also a waste of money :(
No change.

I've noticed my breath does vary a little. Tonight it is constantly bad and I can't get rid of the taste in my mouth.
Last night it was much more manageable.
Thing is, my diet is always much the same, so maybe it's something along the lines of my breath being at it's worst when tonsil stones are forming or something like that??

Anyway, I am really out of ideas in terms of 'remedies' now. I've triend most of my ideas out in this thread.
Still need to try vitaminD3.

So, where we stand:
Only thing that temporarily CURED me was metronidazole.
I am going away with friend for a few nights in a few weeks, and need fresh breath as we'll be in confined spaces together. I'm looking into trying to get a prescription for some more metronidazole.
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

And after that, I guess I'll have to start looking at more drastic measures.
GP wont hear talk of a tonsilectomy at the moment, so i'll either have to lie and keep making up symptoms like sore throats, or I'll have to take out a loan to pay for a private tonsilectomy.
I think there's about a 50% chance that that's where the smell/bad taste are coming from.
Not sure if they're associated with coated tongue, though.

If that didn't work i'd have to investigate the effects of permanent use of metronidazole.
I HAVE heard of some people using it long term for other illnesses, so I guess it's possible.

And after that?? God knows!
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

I've just seen that you can buy a breath kit and test for h pylori at home.

Shall I do it? Money is too tight to mention at the moment, but it's fairly cheap, and it would rule out one of my remaining possible causes.

Anyone else done it?
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

jackson wrote:I've just seen that you can buy a breath kit and test for h pylori at home.

Shall I do it? Money is too tight to mention at the moment, but it's fairly cheap, and it would rule out one of my remaining possible causes.

Anyone else done it?

???????????????

--------------------------------

On another note, I've bought some zantac to experiment with.
Took my first pill a minute ago.

antinous
Total Newbie

Hang in there

Post by antinous »

and try this regimen....

Buy three large tubs of plain yoghurt with active live cultures
Buy one can of turmeric spice

You can buy both of these ingredients from any grocery store. The cost should be around $8.00.

Mix two tablespoon of turmeric into one tub of yoghurt. You will eat six large tablespoon of this mixture in the morning prior to brushing your teeth, after eating lunch and after eating dinner.

You will notice results within two to three days. Good luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic