Your Email Address:

First Name:

I need to share this - Sumac

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Carri

I need to share this - Sumac

Post by Carri »

Hello everyone,

I will not make a detailed list of my background, you can find it in my other posts. I come back to post here after 3 years of random trials and errors, bad days, random good days (very rare), horrible days etc.

The list of things I have tested with doctors:

H.Pylori - said levels were medium, but gave me full treatment.
Radiography for ulcers - nothing
Natural treatment for heartburn and stomach acidity - nothing
1 months of Pepcid - nothing
Dentist says my teeth are very good
Doctor said throat and sinus looks fine, prescribed an X-ray of chest to understand cause of bad breath - didn't go
I tried to go full vegetarian but nothing changed, so I stopped, even though I just eat less meat in general

ANYWAY, my symptoms started after I became lactose intolerant. I have recently felt a little better after cutting all kind of dairy. But this was not the cure as it just stopped giving me horrible breath due to lactose intolerance.

Even after cutting the dairy, I would get very bad breath on empty stomach (I could smell it when I started talking), so in the morning, and between 10:30-12:00 where I could eat again, and then restart soon after. All of this despite flossing, gargling with salt, brushing at the office and so on and so on.

Ok, so where am I getting with this. I took appointment to see a gastroenterologist to see if I can get tested for H.Pylori again or for SIBO. I head that it could cause lactose intolerance and wanted to be tested for it.

Meanwhile, one night my dad said maybe I should try to spread some sumac (a spice used regularly in middle eastern food, from where I'm from) that it is known to be good for stomach. I said ok, not because I thought it was a miracle food, as I thought it wouldn't exist, but because it tasted good.

I spread some on my meal that night.

The morning after I had no bad breath, no taste in the mouth, no tingling sensation in the gum/tooth. I thought it was 'funny', so after I ate my breakfast, I spread some on lactose-free probiotic yogurt and went to office. No bad breath around 10:00-11h00. I ate some that night, and again in the morning no bad breath.

Two days ago I was busy and I didn't eat until 2:00 pm, at that point I started having the tingling sensation in the gum/tooth (wierd to describe) and I had very, very, faint bad breath, but I used the 'coughing in the air' technique, it might have been bad.

This morning I didn't have lactose free yogurt so I spread some in cold water and drank it (its not very good this way, but I really wanted some), and absolutely no bad breath today. I spoke with a friend face to face in the elevator (still tentatively, I still turn my head almost every 2 words, but was really paying attention to him, he gave no reaction). My colleague talked to me today and actually came close to me for once to talk, and I tried to talk normally to him, no reaction from my low-voice, face semi-turned way of talking.

I'm still going to doctor Monday for blood test. MAYBE the sumac thing inhibits the bacteria activity in the stomach, if this is what I have. But I really really wish that someone with the same symptoms would try this, even though you might think you have tried it all and there is no miracle food, don't write this one off.

Please try and report back.

Best wishes,
Carri

Edit : I forgot to mention that I don't bloat anymore after eating meal. I was bloated very frequently before this.

clara0
Master

Post by clara0 »

Carri!
Thank you so much for your post.I have tried almost everything during past yrs so I will try sumac to see what happens :) Though my bb is coming from sinuses but a naturopath told me that the main reason for my chronic allergies and sinusitis is the stomach. Here people spread sumac on meat before they eat it. It is cheap and easy to find so I will give it a try. Thanks :D
yarahe

Post by yarahe »

very interesting.

how much sumac you eat in order to be free of bb a whole day?
Carri

Post by Carri »

Here people spread sumac on meat before they eat it. It is cheap and easy to find so I will give it a try. Thanks
crossing my fingers for you, please report asap :)
very interesting.

how much sumac you eat in order to be free of bb a whole day?

What I'm doing now is half a spoon in the morning with yogurt and some at night with meal. It's a spice really, so too much will kill the taste of the food and too little it won't make a difference, something reasonable in between.
ernieboronda111
Total Newbie

Post by ernieboronda111 »

got mine! But the bag indicates "Sumac Lebanon". I'm not sure if its the same as yours.

It was affordable. Actually I'm having my dinner with this "sumac lebanon". Its a mild spice and red colored. Not as spicy as ordinary powdered peppers. I can handle even if I sprinkle 3 teaspoons on my plate of dinner.

But I'm reporting back for any changes to occur.

I also found the "amla" at the Indian shop. But it was sweetened, so i didn't bother to take a bit.
ernieboronda111
Total Newbie

no changes with sumac. It didn't worked for me.
Carri

Post by Carri »

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work ernie, but maybe try for a few days. I got the results immediately, it's 11:21 am here and I have no feeling of bad breath, saliva is good, etc.

As an update on my side, even though it's not related to sumac per say, is that I went to see a gastro-entorologist. He examined me and said I was gassy (at 10 pm, something like 9 hours after I last ate).

He prescribed a blood test for gluten and wheat intolerance, and asked me to not eat pasta, bread, cakes and cookies. He said if the test is positive he would call me back, if not that I continue this for 2 months, if it doesn't improve I should go back to see him. So far so good though, I'm going to give up the sumac and see how it goes. He said looking at my previous blood test (general check up) that it is unlikely that I have SIBO or H. Pylori (even if I was tested for it before!), so he went for the food intolerance route.

If indeed I am gluten intolerant that would give me lactose and gluten intolerance, which seems a lot since no one else in my family has them. I asked him if it is for ever and he said no, that it can go away by itself during a 5-8 year span (I got the symptoms 3 1/2 years ago).

Cheers
ernieboronda111
Total Newbie

Hope you're still there. I am type 2 that's why its not working. But i'm also suspecting of being type 3, because the smell of my saliva is not that bad.
Last edited by ernieboronda111 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ernieboronda111
Total Newbie

anyway thanks for the info. I also tried to eliminate gluten intake. Sadly, it didn't work also. But the smell became of sewer like or dead animal.

With gluten intake, i get fecal odor. I'm so confused haha. Don't know what to do.
ernieboronda111
Total Newbie

Anyway, where country are you in Carri? we're 12 hours apart, other side of the globe haha.
Carri

Post by Carri »

I don't know if the timezone is detected automatically.

I live in Canada. You ?
ernieboronda111
Total Newbie

I'm here in the Philippines. I didn't left home this day that I'm supposed to. Exhausted of over thinking this problem.
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

Carri, are you still having good results with the sumac?
Do plan to eat in on every meal?
Good for you!
Also did you find out if you are gluten intolerant?
Carri

Post by Carri »

Hi mandyb!

Yes I am still using the Sumac, brought it down to once per day. I plan on cutting soon.

I have not received a phone call, I should call them soon to know if they got the result. So far no bloating, my saliva smells O.K., no tingling or reflux.

ernieboronda111, are you also from the phillipines? Sometimes asking local medics for 'non-traditional' medicine could maybe help >?
Carri

Post by Carri »

ok this might be it. I have added lactoferrin tablet (I read it might help people with H. Pylori) and probiotic yogurt. 1 capsule of 250 mg (for lactoferrin) every morning for three days now.

My saliva doesn't smell even when I'm hungry. I was on a date last night, I was being cautious for distance but she never reacted.

I didn't get a call from the blood test, that probably means I'm not gluten intolerant. I will try lactose very soon, once I'm 100% sure that my BB is gone. Then I'll go see the doctor to tell him for the lactoferrin result.

I don't know if it's an ego thing or they really want to help but sometimes I don't understand why doctor don't give you the test you ask for. Anyway, will update in a week or so.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic