Your Email Address:

First Name:

My tips for removing tonsil stones

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ShitTalker
Junior

My tips for removing tonsil stones

Post by ShitTalker »

Hello everyone! I have been reading this site for many years and have learned many things, so I thought I would try to help just a little.

I have a lot of experience with my tonsils and tonsil stones. The best way to get rid of these is by using a dental water jet. Picking at them, or gargling something is not very effective.

I have tried quite a few different water jets and by far the best one I think is the older INTERPLAK dental jet, model #WJ6RW... It has a full, constant, and steady stream of water, unlike the Waterpik, which has a very intense and sharp stream that will damage and hurt your tonsils on the lowest setting. The Waterpik is good for your teeth, but not for your tonsils.

The INTERPLAK I posted is kind of hard to find, because they made newer models. I do not know how the older INTERPLAK compares to the newer ones though...I THINK that I tried a newer model interplak and it had a pulsating and sharp stream like the water piks do, but I am not sure... I would try getting the next oldest model if you can't get the WJ6RW one...

It is important to regularly squirt out your tonsils to prevent the tonsil stones from getting so big that they become even harder to get out. I even used to push the end of my toothbrush against my tonsils to try and break up anything in there, but be careful...

It's also a good idea to clean them regularly so whatever bacteria and stuff in there doesn't just sit in there and rot, because they could be supplying your throat, back of your tongue, and mouth a constant supply of bacteria. I never used to clean them every day, until one day I decided to start rinsing them twice a day and I got a huge tonsil stone to come out, and they always smell very very bad, but since I was cleaning them out every day, this huge one did not smell AT ALL and that's when I realized that rinsing them every day will get rid of their smell, even if there are stones still in there...

But there are some very small holes and pockets that are so hard to clean out, and I will still notice some nasty smell if I squirt at a certain spot...

Another tip is to to really learn your tonsils over time and see where stuff likes to collect. I have large tonsils with all kinds of flaps and holes. You can also use a flashlight to see better while you do it, and a dental mirror, but you can't use the mirror while squirting...

Also, a good tip is to stick your tongue all the way out when you do it because it opens up holes and flaps better, but learn to constantly blow out air so you don't let water drip down you throat. Also, you might have stones up and behind that flap on the side of your mouth... You can use a dental mirror to look up there and you might have a spot where they hide like I do...

If you can not find the interplak like I suggested, you can use a different machine and just cut off the edge of the spray tip to make the hole bigger so the stream isn't so sharp and powerful... And try to avoid it if it says pulsating action I guess...

I have a rechargeable, cordless Waterpik handheld one that was way too sharp, but I cut the tip and it works good for a portable one...

Let me know if you have any questions...

GOOD LUCK!

sandspiegel
Junior

Post by sandspiegel »

Hey, thank you for your tips. I also have problems with my tonsils. And you are right, poking at them won't help the problem. Maybe you can get a couple of them out that way but that's it.
Cleaning them out with a dental water jet is probably the best solution. However they can be really expensive and an alternative would be a syringe with a bent front. It's a lot cheaper and has a similar effect and you can control the intensity of the water stream.

Here's the one I bought:
http://www.amazon.de/Spritze-gebogene-S ... ne+spritze

Do you use only water to clean them out?
I have the problem that whenever I swallow my breath changes drastically to the smell of tonsil stones. I can even smell it myself just after swallowing when I breath into my nose. It was at the worst just before I bought the syringe. I could get a lot of the tonsil stones out with the syringe and it got better but the smell is still there. It goes away after a couple of seconds after swallowing but no matter how I clean my tonsils, I can't get rid of this "after swallowing smell". It's like there is a hiding place where some of them sit and it only exposes itself when I swallow, leaving a nasty smell in my throat for a couple of seconds. I had it a couple of times where I would hang out with my friends and then drink something and talk afterwards noticing some weird reactions from my friends.

The tip with the dental mirror is really good, haven't thought of that one. Will definitely order one since there are spots where I can't see but would like to.
OBSERVERTO

Post by OBSERVERTO »

First you need to find out whether tonsil stones are causing your bad breath before you do all this clean up. You might want to damage your tonsil in the process but in the end your tonsil had nothing to do with your bad breath. Just saying
I am not discourage, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.
ShitTalker
Junior

Post by ShitTalker »

sandspiegel wrote:Hey, thank you for your tips. I also have problems with my tonsils. And you are right, poking at them won't help the problem. Maybe you can get a couple of them out that way but that's it.
Cleaning them out with a dental water jet is probably the best solution. However they can be really expensive and an alternative would be a syringe with a bent front. It's a lot cheaper and has a similar effect and you can control the intensity of the water stream.

Here's the one I bought:

I have the problem that whenever I swallow my breath changes drastically to the smell of tonsil stones. I can even smell it myself just after swallowing when I breath into my nose. It was at the worst just before I bought the syringe. I could get a lot of the tonsil stones out with the syringe and it got better but the smell is still there. It goes away after a couple of seconds after swallowing but no matter how I clean my tonsils, I can't get rid of this "after swallowing smell". It's like there is a hiding place where some of them sit and it only exposes itself when I swallow, leaving a nasty smell in my throat for a couple of seconds. I had it a couple of times where I would hang out with my friends and then drink something and talk afterwards noticing some weird reactions from my friends.

The tip with the dental mirror is really good, haven't thought of that one. Will definitely order one since there are spots where I can't see but would like to.
Hey Sandspiege. I have tried the curved syringe, but I found it very ineffective compared to a water jet. Another item I would recommend is this sprayer that hooks directly up to your faucet... http://www.amazon.com/ProFloss-4190-Pro ... +water+jet.
If I didn't have the good dental machine, I would use this, but it's only for water, but it can remove the stones.

I used to have the same exact symptoms as you, and when you get that nasty tonsil stone taste when you swallow, that is from one reason and that' means there is a big ass tonsil stone right in there somewhere and it is probably exposed somewhere that you can't see... When I used a mirror for the first time I saw big pockets wih tonsil stones up there behind that flap on the side of your mouth... Remember to also stick your tongue out all the way when you look because it opens up places in your tonsils.

I WAS using water only,but then I realized it is not killing any bacteria that's in there, so the bacteria quickly grows back, and since my tongue rests against my tonsils, it is constantly rubbing all that bacteria on my tongue and that's why I have a white tongue and a smelly tongue every day... Now I have been using a mix of salt water and oregano oil, but you could probably use a different antibacterial oil or liquid. My mouth breath has improved drastically overall since doing my new routine you can find in another post.
Last edited by ShitTalker on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShitTalker
Junior

Post by ShitTalker »

OBSERVERTO wrote:First you need to find out whether tonsil stones are causing your bad breath before you do all this clean up. You might want to damage your tonsil in the process but in the end your tonsil had nothing to do with your bad breath. Just saying
Yes, good advice.

Always make sure you don't squirt your tonsils too hard and damage them, because they WILL start to bleed... If I ever made them bleed, I would try gargling salt water to maybe cut the risk of getting an infection, cuz there is some nasty bacteria in there...

To see if your tonsils smell, poke it with the end of a toothbrush with the handle and smell it. If you always have a white tongue, it could also be from nasty bacteria rubbing on your tongue constantly from your tonsils... I realized the tongue itself is a bitch and it likes to hold lots of bacteria itself in all the little taste buds and mixed with the tonsils it's hard to keep those two under control... Especially the very very back of the tongue behind those big bumps across your tongue, it is ALWAYS white I back there and very difficult to be cleaned... I thought of using a rag to scrape my tongue, and I just read on here that someone suggested using a towel to scrape your tongue and that it works, so I will definitely try that... It seems so stupid, but it might be the best way to clean your tongue lol... I might dry soaking the rag in something antibacterial too lol...
ShitTalker
Junior

Post by ShitTalker »

I wanted to also say that even if your tonsils don't directly smell, then can still supply the tongue with nasty bacteria and when food and sugar contacts that bacteria on your tongue it might start smelling... I believe that is why my tongue starts to smell so fast after cleaning it...

I bet normal people have healthy oral bacteria in their tonsils, but some of us might have bad bacteria... I iknow I do because ai literally never used to take care of my mouth...
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

Ive always had trouble getting tonsil stones out. They all seem to come out randomly (not often) and I havent hacked one out for probably a year. I can't see any and when I got a waterpik years ago it didnt seem to help. I dont know if I have any (probably?) but I dont know how to get them out maybe ill try buying another
ShitTalker
Junior

Post by ShitTalker »

I don't have any coming out right now and I have blasted almost every hole in my tonsils... If I don't clean them for a while then tonsils stones will build up and they will come out...

I think I have some holes that are very tiny and I think I have some stones that will probably never come out lol...
sandspiegel
Junior

Post by sandspiegel »

OBSERVERTO wrote:First you need to find out whether tonsil stones are causing your bad breath before you do all this clean up. You might want to damage your tonsil in the process but in the end your tonsil had nothing to do with your bad breath. Just saying
Yes of course, finding the source of bb is important but in my case, my tonsils smell bad when I poke at them with a finger for example and like I said the first time I did the water spraying with the syringe I got a lot of them out and they smell like shit, so yes I would say that tonsil stones could be the source of my bb. I also have a smelly tongue that I keep under control with Tongue Brush + Gel. However like ShitTalker said (great nickname btw :D) the tonsils rest on the back of the tongue feeding the tongue with all of those bacteria that smells, which could be the reason for my smelly tongue (especially on the back of the tongue where it is the worst).
ShitTalker wrote:
sandspiegel wrote:Hey, thank you for your tips. I also have problems with my tonsils. And you are right, poking at them won't help the problem. Maybe you can get a couple of them out that way but that's it.

Here's the one I bought:

Hey Sandspiege. I have tried the curved syringe, but I found it very ineffective compared to a water jet. Another item I would recommend is this sprayer that hooks directly up to your faucet... http://www.amazon.com/ProFloss-4190-Pro ... +water+jet.
If I didn't have the good dental machine, I would use this, but it's only for water, but it can remove the stones.

I used to have the same exact symptoms as you, and when you get that nasty tonsil stone taste when you swallow, that is from one reason and that' means there is a big ass tonsil stone right in there somewhere and it is probably exposed somewhere that you can't see... When I used a mirror for the first time I saw big pockets wih tonsil stones up there behind that flap on the side of your mouth... Remember to also stick your tongue out all the way when you look because it opens up places in your tonsils.

I WAS using water only,but then I realized it is not killing any bacteria that's in there, so the bacteria quickly grows back, and since my tongue rests against my tonsils, it is constantly rubbing all that bacteria on my tongue and that's why I have a white tongue and a smelly tongue every day... Now I have been using a mix of salt water and oregano oil, but you could probably use a different antibacterial oil or liquid. My mouth breath has improved drastically overall since doing my new routine you can find in another post.
Yes, it's possible that I have a big ass tonsil stone somewhere I couldn't get to yet and that only gets exposed when I swallow. Yesterday I tried your tip with sticking the tongue out and sprayed water behind the flaps and could get some tonsil stones out, so thanks for the tip.
I also ordered today a dental mirror because I want to see where those suckers could hide else and there are spots I suspect but I just can't see inside them.
The product you recommended is not available in Germany but I found something similar which could have the same effect. I will wait for the mirror and see if I can be successful with the mirror and syringe, if not, then I'm ordering the watersprayer. Why was the syringe not effective for you? Was the water stream too weak?

http://www.amazon.de/SoWash-508G0005-SO ... munddusche

How often do you clean your tonsils?
I'm really glad that I found someone here who has/had the same symptoms as me.
sandspiegel
Junior

Post by sandspiegel »

Man this tonsil stone thing is really screwing with my life right now. From the left tonsil there is a bad smell coming from one or more of the holes. I tried to spray lots of water in those holes but it just won't help, the smell stays. It's like there is a big tonsil stone sitting there that I can't get rid of because it's too big to get through the hole(s). Today I wanted to go out with my friends but the smell is so bad that I decided to say that I'm gettin sick, so I can't go. This is the first time I used an excuse to not going somewhere with my friends. They want to go to a crowded place and there are going to be a lot of people I know and it's just easier to stay home than to be there in a bad mood trying not to talk to anybody and having those reactions and people speaking behind my back about my bb.
God damn I'm gettin really depressed here, this thing is really screwing up my life right now, even more than before. I think my next move is going to be to look for an another ENT doc who agrees to take my tonsils out. I also plan to lie and to tell him that my tonsils hurt a lot often. The last ENT I've been to didn't want to remove my tonsils because he said that tonsil stones is not a reason to remove the tonsils.
Seriously this is not a life, this is pure suffering and you guys are the only ones who understand me since most of you are going through the same shit as me.
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

How does one know?
I get tonsil stones and I think there's about a 30% chance that it's the cause of my bad breath.
(other possibilities being some sort of stomach infection, or something to do with post nasal drip/sinus issue).
I think my bad breath (especially morning breath) smells like the bad smell of tonsil stones

I think tonsil stones themselves always smell.
(So If you have one, and you touch your tonsil, your finger will smell bad)
However, some people occasionally have tonsil stones but have have baby fresh breath.
And some people are cured from bad breath when their tonsils are removed!
It's all quite complicated.

Metronidazole made my breath smell of NOTHING whilst I was on it, if that is a potential clue???
ShitTalker
Junior

Post by ShitTalker »

sandspiegel wrote:
Yes of course, finding the source of bb is important but in my case, my tonsils smell bad when I poke at them with a finger for example and like I said the first time I did the water spraying with the syringe I got a lot of them out and they smell like shit, so yes I would say that tonsil stones could be the source of my bb. I also have a smelly tongue that I keep under control with Tongue Brush + Gel. However like ShitTalker said (great nickname btw :D) the tonsils rest on the back of the tongue feeding the tongue with all of those bacteria that smells, which could be the reason for my smelly tongue (especially on the back of the tongue where it is the worst).
ShitTalker wrote:

Here's the one I bought:

Yes, it's possible that I have a big ass tonsil stone somewhere I couldn't get to yet and that only gets exposed when I swallow. Yesterday I tried your tip with sticking the tongue out and sprayed water behind the flaps and could get some tonsil stones out, so thanks for the tip.
I also ordered today a dental mirror because I want to see where those suckers could hide else and there are spots I suspect but I just can't see inside them.
The product you recommended is not available in Germany but I found something similar which could have the same effect. I will wait for the mirror and see if I can be successful with the mirror and syringe, if not, then I'm ordering the watersprayer. Why was the syringe not effective for you? Was the water stream too weak?

http://www.amazon.de/SoWash-508G0005-SO ... munddusche

How often do you clean your tonsils?
I'm really glad that I found someone here who has/had the same symptoms as me.
I used to only rinse out my tonsils when I smelled a tonsil stone, but now I really try to clean them at least once a day... If i go over two days I can tell that they start smelling and stuff... I focus most on a couple spots that collect food and smell... I think it's important to clean them daily if you have nasty tonsils because they are a breeding ground for bacteria and they constantly rub ithat bacteria onto your tongue because your tongue rests against them... I bet people with healthy mouths have healthy bacteria in their tonsils...

I just found the syringe to not be powerful enough, didn't hold enough water, and very hard to use when trying to use precision, especially when trying to shine a flashlight or use a mirror... Some tonsil stones took some very hard blasting to get out too... I kind of know the tolerance level of my tonsils before they start bleeding too... I think when you get that mirror and a flashlight you will see some tonsil stones... I never get that strong smell unless there was one exposed, or right beneath the surface... And remember, every single tonsils stone I ever removed smelled like shit, until I started cleaning them every day, then a huge one came out and it did not smell AT ALL... So cleaning them every day rinsed out something that was causing them to smell...

Also, avoid all dairy if you don't want your tonsils stinking so bad... Milk, cheese, chocolate, ice cream, butter... Those all made my tonsils disgusting... Other strong foods would make them stink too like mustard and fish and stuff...

I used to think getting my tonsils removed was the only way to get the smell away and to cure my bad breath, but they are definitely manageable if you clean them every day...

Good luck...
Help support this site's owner by shopping on Amazon after clicking this link Shop on Amazon.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic