Your Email Address:

First Name:

Have you ever had somebody check your breath for you?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......

Have you ever had someone test and smell your breath?

Yes, I have.
40%
No, I have not.
40%
Yes and they said it smelled.
13%
Yes and they said it did NOT smell.
7%

Total votes: 15

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Thanks. Yes please keep us updated.
I've also never been concerned about having nasal odours. It's like my mouth would become worse than a dirty toilet, both in bad taste and tongue odour and the smell I could get back from rebounded air, yet I never felt any concern of this stench passing out through my nose. If the stench was so bad, you would have thought it would appear in my nasal air? But, like you, I never had any reason to "believe" my nasal odour was ever bad.

Believe is an important BB word really. Mostly, that's all we have to go on, apart from maybe a few moments in life where a person has said something or made an obvious gesture that made us "believe" and continue to do so.

You are very lucky to have your wife's trusted feedback. My brother has given me occasional feedback, especially when my breath was supposedly exceptionally bad. But getting feedback from him now is like asking him to stick his nose up my ass. He's sick of it all, and now fully understands why my life is such a mess and is resentful of me for allowing my life (and other's) to be ruined by it all.

But yes, if you have the means, feedback is vital for narrowing things down and hopefully to help you to find your cause.

Nespresso

Post by Nespresso »

everhopeful81 wrote:Ok so tonight I came home from squash (I drank loads of water there but had gone about half an hour without any by the time I got home). My breath smelled like usual (a bit stale) but it was stronger than usual - rating was a 5.5..I had some water and she said it is already better though still has that smell, but not as strong. I then ate a fried egg and an orange after. 10 minutes after she said the rating was a 6, so basically it was the worst when I had come back from squash - I know that running alot gives me a dry mouth which is never good...and then, I went to scrape my tongue (it was already quite clean as I dont go more than a couple of hours without scraping) & do my hydrogen peroxide gargle - she said this made absolutely no difference & she could still smell the same stale smell at the same strength as before - but was still better than when i first got home...this is the second time she has told me that the hydrogen peroxide made no difference - I always thought it did as my mouth definitely tastes different after I gargle with it & I know it has anti bacterial qualities.....I think Im really going to change my diet and test more as apart from keeping on top of the scraping & keeping the mouth moist, it seems mouthwashes dont really help, even hydrogen peroxide/baking soda based ones....
I wish my wife tells me straight like this.
everhopeful81

Post by everhopeful81 »

So more feedback - apparently my nasal odour is similar to my breath though not as strong. This is certainly a surprise but makes sense as if the odour is coming from the back of the tongue/throat or stomach, it should affect my nasal passage too...I'll keep testing.

I appreciate that it's difficult to get good feedback & that I am lucky - wife has said that unless I am literally breathing full on into her face she cannot smell anything, even if I talk softly when we are close. I guess that's good news though I think I need more feedback as she is totally used to my breath these days & doesnt have the same reaction as when I first breathed on her...I'll continue the search - I'm literally thinking of putting an ad somewhere though its sure to come across creepy - "Man seeks someone for testing & honest feedback" ;)
everhopeful81

Post by everhopeful81 »

All - I am back in London for a few weeks. Would anyone like to meet up for some honest feedback/testing?
lookingforcure
Junior

Post by lookingforcure »

Although I do not reside in London, I find this a very interesting experiment. Please continue to update your thread as I think you are onto something.

This may be the most difficult thing to do, but it could be life changing. I tried to start it yesterday, but I failed and said I would over today.

Change your diet!!

I'm going on a low-carb , very healthy , small meal diet plan.

Here's a thought... when a person over eats, for example 5 bowls of rice
.. what happens to the EXCESS carbs that are not used?... they are left in your stomach to ferment.. which then the bacteria in your stomach have a buffet on, which create gases. As an athlete who doesn't play sports daily like I did back in high school, my eating habits are the same but my daily expenditure of energy has decreased tremendously. And I learned that your body uses carbohydrates as a source of energy for strenuous activities such as sprinting or lifting heavy weights. If you were to sit at home, relaxed, watch a movie and occasionally get up to grab the phone or grab potato chips from the closet you are using calories as a source of energy. The cause of my BB and many others maybe due to Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR).

let's change our diet and eating habits
nolagirl

Post by nolagirl »

@everhopeful81 I know exactly what you mean when you say that you want honest feedback from other people besides your wife, because she might have become used to the smell. I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years, and he never says my breath smells. only one time in our entire relationship did he ever comment on my breath being bad, and that was when I had been eating a lot of garlic and I was extremely close to his face. I truly don't believe that he's lying because 1) we are EXTREMELY honest with each other about that kind of thing 2) He knows I am upset about my breath all the time. I mean I have literally begged him in tears to be honest with me. I've never breathed directly into his face on purpose, but we've been in extremely close range (ie in the car with the windows up talking, helping me with my homework on the computer, etc) so I know he would've smelled it in those situations. However, I KNOW I have bb based on the tonsil stones, the horrible taste in my mouth, the post nasal drip, and actual comments I've gotten from other people. It's the most confusing and upsetting part of this whole thing to me. Why can't my boyfriend smell me but other people can?? I can even smell my own breath in my hands sometimes. I know his sense of smell is intact because he comments on the same things that I can smell. Sorry for the long post but this is truly a mystery to me and I've seen other members of this forum describe the exact same scenario.
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

nolagirl wrote:@everhopeful81 I know exactly what you mean when you say that you want honest feedback from other people besides your wife, because she might have become used to the smell. I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years, and he never says my breath smells. only one time in our entire relationship did he ever comment on my breath being bad, and that was when I had been eating a lot of garlic and I was extremely close to his face. I truly don't believe that he's lying because 1) we are EXTREMELY honest with each other about that kind of thing 2) He knows I am upset about my breath all the time. I mean I have literally begged him in tears to be honest with me. I've never breathed directly into his face on purpose, but we've been in extremely close range (ie in the car with the windows up talking, helping me with my homework on the computer, etc) so I know he would've smelled it in those situations. However, I KNOW I have bb based on the tonsil stones, the horrible taste in my mouth, the post nasal drip, and actual comments I've gotten from other people. It's the most confusing and upsetting part of this whole thing to me. Why can't my boyfriend smell me but other people can?? I can even smell my own breath in my hands sometimes. I know his sense of smell is intact because he comments on the same things that I can smell. Sorry for the long post but this is truly a mystery to me and I've seen other members of this forum describe the exact same scenario.
Nolagirl, where do you live in the US?

Have you tried eliminating certain foods?
everhopeful81

Post by everhopeful81 »

Hi All - thanks for your comments...:

So after feeling more confident since getting my wife to test & saying its really not that bad at all unless I am breathing hard into her face, I may have suffered a setback last week - we were at a wedding with some very good friends & all standing really close. I was talking very softly but didnt move my head/mouth away like i usually do - no reactions, nothing, although I heard one of my friends say to another "he smells" later though I cant be sure it was about me, but thats half the issue with these things, we just get so paranoid!! These are very close friends & we are pretty honest in that we make fun of each other alot to our faces & can feel we can relax - it is a shame that something like this cant be brought out into the open...I am actually trying to do this more and more - for example, if people ask me why I dont smoke anymore I just say actually I have really bad breath and smoking makes it worse...I feel that letting people know you are aware may make them more sensitive to the fact that it is a real condition

@nolagirl - I feel exaclty the same way about my wife - we are 100% honest & she knows how upset I get about this. I know its really tough, but try to ask him to help you with testing and breathe on him - it is strange but also worth it - my wife & I are literally at the point where I say quick test & she smells my breath - I do that throughout the day & I know now (from her perspective at least) that I have the same base smell though will be stronger/weaker depending on what I eat etc. Also with something like mouthwash/toothpast she says she can smell that but within a few minutes its gone & replaced with the normal smell (could be weak or strong)...so I have organised to meet someone from BBH that I met at a meetup & I am thinking of ways to get other people on board..its the only way we will know...

@lookingforacure: its funny you mention the diet because for the last 2 days I have eaten no meat/dairy & have actually been drinking a small amount of baking soda & well as rinsing with that & Hy peroxide to make my system more alkaline & antibacterial (I always did the peroxide but never with changing the diet). My wife said the smell yesterday was different ie the base smell was different, a little weaker & therefore better. I didnt notice much myself but Im really trying to eat less meat/dairy & more fruit & vegs, who knows?? Do let me know how your diet goes though - I dont know about you, but changing the diet for me is by far the most difficult thing - I enjoy my meats, cheese etc so much! oh well, onwards we go....

As always, if anyone is in London or Singapore let me know :)
lookingforcure
Junior

Post by lookingforcure »

@everhopeful

Changing your diet is the most difficult thing to do in life. I failed yet again yesterday lol. That is why I have tremendous respect for people that can have the self discipline to eat healthy and moderately. I do have a question for you. Do you have a history of using antibiotics? It could be to related or unrelated reasons for BB? Also, have you had any testing done like an endoscopy or stool test?
lookingforcure
Junior

Post by lookingforcure »

Reasons people say to avoid meat is because bacteria feed on meat (protein) and then they multiply to greater numbers but that's horse shit. The cause of your bad breath is not from your mouth. Same goes for cheese, cheese causes an increase of mucus in your mouth along with having protein in it. I remember distinctly 4 years ago I would have mucus in my mouth but fresh breath and back then my oral hygiene was nothing compared to what it is now. Hydrogen peroxide rinse is high effective in reducing / eliminating anaerobic bacteria in your mouth because it oxygenates your entire mouth ( all the bubbles you see are oxygen being released which directly reduces / eliminates anaerobic (without oxygen ). I suspect with your oral hygiene the cause of your BB is not from your mouth but most likely the imbalance of good / bad bacteria /yeast in your stomach. But like I said, get testing done. Allergy test, food allergy test, endoscopy with a biopsy / comprehensive stool tests..

Keep me updated. I'm here to help
nolagirl

Post by nolagirl »

@everhopeful81 You're right, I need to just go ahead and ask my bf to give me honest feedback when I breathe in his face. The funny thing is, it's not really hard because I'm embarrassed in front of him, it's hard because I've trained myself for so many years not to breathe/talk on other people. lol. I think we all know how that goes. Good for you for being upfront with people about your breath, that takes a lot of courage but it's the right thing to do.

@trunks99 I live in new orleans, LA and would be willing to meet up with anyone in the Louisiana, Mississippi or nearby Texas. I have definitely tried all different kinds of diets but it's tough because I really don't know where to begin :( If I knew exactly which foods were triggers I would gladly eliminate them, but I read so many contradicting opinions that it seems overwhelming. Some people say no protein, others say no carbs, or no sugar, no dairy, no eggs, no fatty/spicy foods.... you get the idea. Lots of facts floating around out there. I definitely need to get more serious about experimenting with different diets and sticking to them though, because I don't think the effects are noticeable until after a month or so.
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

nolagirl wrote:@everhopeful81 You're right, I need to just go ahead and ask my bf to give me honest feedback when I breathe in his face. The funny thing is, it's not really hard because I'm embarrassed in front of him, it's hard because I've trained myself for so many years not to breathe/talk on other people. lol. I think we all know how that goes. Good for you for being upfront with people about your breath, that takes a lot of courage but it's the right thing to do.

@trunks99 I live in new orleans, LA and would be willing to meet up with anyone in the Louisiana, Mississippi or nearby Texas. I have definitely tried all different kinds of diets but it's tough because I really don't know where to begin :( If I knew exactly which foods were triggers I would gladly eliminate them, but I read so many contradicting opinions that it seems overwhelming. Some people say no protein, others say no carbs, or no sugar, no dairy, no eggs, no fatty/spicy foods.... you get the idea. Lots of facts floating around out there. I definitely need to get more serious about experimenting with different diets and sticking to them though, because I don't think the effects are noticeable until after a month or so.
Here is a link about how a person cured GERD (reflux)
http://untilthethinladysings.blogspot.c ... -acid.html

Try ACV and see if your breath improves. But you need to ask someone I guess..

Drink AVC with water in the morning.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Nope, I do not have the guts to do so. I do not want to reveal my little secret.

I have come to the conclusion lately that the slightest thing can cause a stench in the mouth which can be smelt without directly breathing in someones direction. For instance have you ever come across someone chewing gum or eating sweet toffee/candy? It's funny you can smell it at quite a distance.

I was at work one day and a colleague came around "it smells round here". I thought oh shit here we go... But then he said "have you been drinking? it smells heavily of alcohol around here?" Funny thing is I hadn't been drinking but I had used listerine inbetween my gums that morning- you know how strong that is. I couldn't even smell it around the area or on my breath though.

I'm sure a small area of the mouth or throat with stink there can cause such horrible stench. As of right now I can feel a big tonsil stone in my throat, Have been tasting it all day.

Last week I ate some cheese. 2 days later I was eating a cookie and all of a sudden I could taste the cheese strongly I had ate. I thought reflux, but I had burped a little while later on purpose and could only taste an energy drink. Do you guys still have tonsil tissue left over? I am due to have my 2nd tonsillectomy in the coming month or so.I really hope this is it.

Also back to the stink in the mouth thing. Another colleague was chewing some gum, and he was about a foot or two away from another colleague to which he was like "you smell like a dentist" now it's crazy a tiny stick of gum can be smelt like that. Any small area in the mouth is capable of causing that funk. Our BB is possibly not this huge thing, it's possibly something so small and stupid yet we can't find it.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
lookingforcure
Junior

Post by lookingforcure »

@FedUp

Have you had prior antibiotic use for related / unrelated causes of BB? Sinus infection / ear infection / anything?

Do you have stomach issues? (digestion / motility movement / reflux - which you already stated)

I believe you and I have the same symptoms.

edit*

also I see the lists of tests you have done...

how about a stool test ? specifically a gram stain test?
everhopeful81

Post by everhopeful81 »

@lookingforacure : I dont have a history of using antibiotics: I think there is a possibility it is not mouth related.

I have tried pretty much everything there except really looking at my tonsils which I am investigating although getting back there is pretty difficult (Im not sure if one can get bad breath from the tonsils without showing inflammation/tonsil stones sign?.)

Ive never had stool/allergy/endoscopy so that is certainly the next step. I did check for H Pylori (negative) as well as taking ACV for a long time but I didnt notice any difference. I am also in touch with a naturopath who is helping me with my diet & has prescribed some good bacteria for my digestion/stomach - nothing has helped so far :(...I also kept up the no meat/dairy diet but my wife has told me the smell has returned - I honestly dont think I can change my diet so radically. Food is something we look forward to so much every day & im not sure its worth it - bit smelly or a happy belly? I'm so close to telling more people about this condition but I feel such shame..God this thing sucks! Can only get better ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic