Your Email Address:

First Name:

11 days post tonsillectomy & things are looking up

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Archi, I really hope he is cured. If I had to have a guess though, I think excessive mucus (through whatever cause) probably does result in a general increase in overall bacterial activity on the back of the tongue, resulting in a certain amount of odour buildup that can lead to BB, and therefore more of the buildup on the back of the tongue, which in my opinion leads to the formation of tonsil stones. And if a person happens to have crypted areas where crypts tend to be, then that itself could lead to a cumulative situation where the problem of odour is much worse than it otherwise would have been. So in other words, PND is half the problem, and crypted areas are the other half of the problem. Getting rid of one part of the equation helps. But to fully eliminate the problem you need to deal with both.

NastyMouth
Total Newbie

Post by NastyMouth »

Sorry I haven't responded in a while! Overall things are great! I have a beautiful pink tongue! Even after eating! I am still 100% in fear that I have BB (and maybe I do!) but I went to my ENT. I said "I have a poopy sense behind my nose." ENT looked at me confused and said "well there is no more odor at all!" I almost fell off my chair! Mind you that poopy feeling behind my nose was 100% gone once I was 100% healed from surgery (days before seeing ENT). I asked if he was serious & he looked me in the eye and said there is no smell!

I am 100% phobic about this. I have convinced myself he must be lying. I occasionally see people rubbing their nose but I realize I am hyperaware. No "did you step in dog shit" type comments at all. So I can't say yet for sure I am cured, HOWEVER:

How do some of you say you are no better for getting your tonsils out? Perhaps you weren't but wow for me it is a HUGE change. I have a pink tongue and I don't feel like I swallowed dog crap (poop taste in throat).

I am SO glad I got it done! I like to think I am cured but I plan to stick around and keep updating. If you are considering a tonsillectomy do it!!!!
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

good for you man, it works for some but not for others.

when i had mine they left a lot of tonsil tissue on one side to which i'm coughing out big bits of stones. one was like a dam noodle no joke. still waiting on ANOTHER tonsillectomy which i'm told will be a painful recovery this time around..

but i do hope this is it for you, the comments can really make you want to jump off a local bridge. even worse the odour isn't your fault and you can't help it. shows the true side of some people.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Congratulations if it's worked for you. Have you asked those friends of yours about it?

Maybe every case is different, and your tonsils were responsible for more than just your stones, i.e. exudate from infection (pus).

I had that poopy feeling in my throat whenever I did anything that disturbed my tonsils, which completely disappeared when my tonsils were removed. But I still had the same shitty taste and smell from the back of my tongue. Tonsillectomy didn't change that at all.
NastyMouth
Total Newbie

Post by NastyMouth »

fedup--man that sucks :( I am sorry. I really hope the next surgery helps!

Halitosux...interesting. I have a 100% clean fresh taste in my mouth. I do not have the shitty taste anymore (once I was 100% back to normal). I do occasionally chew gum for confidence but I never have to chew to get the funky taste out anymore thank goodness.

I have no one to ask about this. The 2 friends that told me I didn't smell also deny a pre surgery smell (what a joke!). I wish I had someone who could look me in the eye (like the ent did) and tell me I spelled like shit before but now I don't. Then I wouldn't be second guessing.

Halitosux did your white tongue go away post tonsillectomy?
NastyMouth
Total Newbie

Post by NastyMouth »

Oh & my ENT said tonsils were aweful. They were highly cryptic and VERY hard to remove. My surgery took 30 minutes longer than scheduled. But by looking at them they looked "normal" to the ENT pre surgery.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

If you went from having a shitty dirty taste to a clean fresh one, then you can be very hopeful that you've done something very major here! Especially with this coinciding with having a noticeably pinker tongue.

Perhaps if your main BB odour actually came from your tonsils (as opposed to your tongue), then it may have been an intermittent BB, and your breath may well have stunk when your ENT looked into your throat? Your friends may have been telling the truth?

I had my tonsils out in 1997. The ENT told me after the tonsillectomy that they were very packed with stones. (and I cleaned them out that same morning of the op!) So maybe they do hide in places we don't know about and tonsillectomy is the only way to deal with their stench. When I looked in the mirror after the op I was really shocked to see how much of my throat was missing and the weird brown looking skin stuff that was scabbing over the raw flesh. My tongue was really heavily coated and for days after. I actually caught a cold on the very day of my tonsillectomy and it was hell for the next few days.

My BB didn't change in the slightest after the op. All that changed was that awful tonsil stone mothball skank taste each time I swallowed, was gone, along with the appearance of tonsil stones.

It was another 12 years until I removed one particular wisdom tooth that I saw the most dramatic change, particularly with my tongue odour. I've never really been too obsessed with the appearance of my tongue, only it's odour. I still struggle with breath confidence. I find it impossible breathe "naked" breath onto anyone. As long as I have the taste of a food or drink in my mouth, I'm confident. If I don't then I'm always fearful that my "naked" breath smells of "something". It's crazy.

One thing you might find interesting is that this wisdom tooth I mentioned was on my right side, and it was my right tonsil that produced the most stench and biggest and smelliest stones. Possibly a coincidence? But maybe not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic