Your Email Address:

First Name:

Something to share

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Action is my middle name I can't waste time any more.

I am going to see another ENT about this, this past few weeks I've been tasting/smelling this strong shit smell. It seems to coming from my throat but it's hard pin pointing what it is. If I brush my teeth and drink a fizzy drink I can taste rotten eggs. I am going to beat this and cut my own head off if I have to, to be rid of this idiotic problem. Now I can sometimes smell what others must smell, no wonder they think I have shit myself, It's quite potent and strong.

A hospital in the UK does this surgery you have had, if I can somehow get referred for it I wouldn't hesitate the long travel to London- I'm from up north.

At this stage of the "game" I am willing to rip out any and every piece of tissue that can harbour bacteria.

Good to hear you're doing well.

Sorry if you mentioned before, did you always have a feeling of mucus or something just in your throat constantly before the op?

Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

notanymore, did you ever try metronidazole at any point? If so, did it work to eliminate bad breath whilst you were on it?
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Had another ENT visit, It's been confirmed I still have palatine tonsil tissue left over from my "tonsillectomy" and which i've been plucking goo and tonsil stones from obviously which wasn't cut out properly. So I'm due to have this removed now. Let's see if this makes a dent. I do not have adenoids and the base of my tongue is ok.

.....................let's see.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Sorry it has been so long since my last post. These last three weeks have been a mixture of depression, bewilderment and optimism at my current situation.
Three weeks ago I overdid it with excess stress and caffeine. I went to lay down and that old familiar shit smell came wafting up through my nose. It realy shouldn't have been a huge surprise since I had that mucus taste that always accompanies the smell. I was and still am devestated. I assume that between the antibiotics wearing off and an overall excess in consuming bad food and drink triggered this whole mess. Also, I had mouth ulcers at that time and a strong metaillic taste in my mouth.
The "good" news is that the strong odor and acid taste dissapeared after discontinuing the overuse of caffeine and junk food. I can still feel mucus in my throat from time to time but nothing like before the surgery and I have to spit out the dry mucus in the morning pretty consistantly. In other words, life is better than it was before the surgery but the overall problem still exists.
Of course I have researched and thought about the problem ad nauseam and have come to the conclusion that my initial assumption was the right one; LPR and reflux. The very begining of this thread talks about the initial onset of halitosis, dry mouth and a "battery like" taste in my mouth. This was when I discovered the hiatal hernia and learned that i had reflux disease and Barrett's esophagus. The nexium helped with the metallic taste and somehow with the dry mouth.
So what to do? Well, of course I have an appointment with a new G.I doctor (after just parting ways with the doctor I have seen for 10 years) next Thursday. I am going to request an H.Pylori test as the only thing that "cures" my throat mucus is antibiotics. I have had 3 prior EGD's with stomach biopsies but they have all come back negative for h.pylori but I was still taking max dose PPI's which could give false negatives. I have never been tested for celiac disease so might as well check that as well. Also, I will bring up the subject of a nissen fundoplication with the new doctor as I am ready to take a major chance in order to fix this problem (as if a complete tonsillectomy at 38 wasn't a major chance ](*,) ).
My revised theory is this: The reflux material (acid, bile, pepsin, etc) is traveling up the esophagus and depositing itself all along the walls. the reflux gasses are simultaniously drying the esophagus while the throat is creating excess mucus to protect itself. This combination of dry throat and excess mucus is what's trapping food particles and bacteria and creating the halitosis. Not having tonsils simply means less places for the mucus to gather so less halitosis. Excesses in food mean more material to reflux up and excess caffeine and stress mean an even dryer throat which will compound the problem. Also, drinking caffeine means depositing acid from the top down (opposite of reflux) which will obviously make matters worse.
Also, FEDUP I wish you the best and know that many people have been cured with a total tonsillectomy. Everyone is unique and I think you should go for it. I truly hope it fixes your problem and wish you all the best. Please keep us all updated.
ShitTalker
Junior

Post by ShitTalker »

Notanymore, thanks for the great thread. I learned a few things. It was a little upset to read in your last post that the smell has returned. Hopefully you can find the problem and get it taken care of...

I would like to reccomend Manuka Honey to you for your acid reflux problems. I have heard nothing but good things about it and many people say it cures their acid reflux problems... You should research it a little if you don't know about it. It might be worth a try... Good luck...
Help support this site's owner by shopping on Amazon after clicking this link Shop on Amazon.com
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

@shittalker....I debated with myself as to if to post anymore or not. I know that people pin their hopes on other people's fixes and cures as I tend to do that myself and I certainly don't want anyone to feel like there is no hope. However, I believe that honest and thorough information is key to unlocking the cure and that denial is the enemy when dealing with any personal problem, be it psychological or physialogical.

That being said, I would like to drive the point home that my breath is waaaay better than before and I am not stinking up a 5 foot area when I walk in a room. I am better of having done the surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat. It's also nice to know that I don't have tonsil stone contributing to any potential halitosis and this surgery has allowed me to effectively "rule out" stones. Now I can focus on the reflux/lpr.

I will definetly look into the manuka. How long do people take it before seeing results?
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

I'm almost certain that my BB is either due to tonsil stones or some sort of reflux issue.

With reflux, I often hear of people who take various medications and they no longer get the burning sensation in their throat etc, although it often sounds like the bad breath remains.
I get the burning sensation in my throat, but not very often.
I think I might have some sort of silent reflux.
I had an awful experience a few weeks back, where upon waking up, I felt like I needed to burp. When I did, I felt a sea of acid enter my throat, and I was completely unable to breath! I literally collapsed on the bedroom floor, making the noise that someone makes in the movies when they've just been poisoned!
I'm yet to see my GP about this issue yet, mainly because, like i mentioned, I've not really heard of anyone being cured of BB through reflux medication.

Tonsils stones: I get them most days. Very small ones, though.
If I 'suck' on my tonsils (which results in me making a noise like a pig) I can almost taste them. I also sometimes get a mucus out of them if I push on them. (I guess mucus that is yet to calcify into a tonsil stone)
I've been told that there's no way i'd be referred for a tonsilectomy :(

Thanks for the thread and your updates, OP

PS - I've ordered some more metronidazole.
I took this a few months ago, and it was BLISS having baby fresh breath for a week.
The reason i'm taking another course, is because there was a poster here once called 'Kidd', who claimed that a second course of the drug gave him a long term/permanent? relief.
Worth a shot...
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

notanumore - I've been suffering for over 20 years now and I noticed we have a lot of the same symptoms…gerd, hiatal hernia, pnd, got my tonsils out. Do you have lactose intolerance too? I am constantly gassy and acidic even when not having dairy. I suspect I lost some other liver enzymes when I became lactose intolerant. Been tested for tmau and it was negative. I am at my the end of my rope. I've been so anxious about social situations. I had some pretty embarrassing things happen lately. On top of that my doctor thinks I'm a hypochondriac. I feel like crawling into bed and staying in the fetal position all day.

Please keep us posted for your cure might help me being that we have the same symptoms.
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

@Tired. I feel your pain as it's been a number of years with the halitosis for myself as well. Would you say you have a lot of mucus in your throat seemingly day and night. The reason I ask is that it seems the majority of people with extreme or chronic halitosis have mucus problems for some reason.

So last week I saw a new GI doctor and she was worthless. She basicaly argued with me for 20 minutes and finaly asked me what I "expected" her to do for me. It was literaly the worst doctor's appointment I have ever had. I did learn something however (assuming she was right). I mentioned all the mucus in my throat and she said it has to be LPR. She told me that if acid, bile or whatever else was irritating the throat, it cannot simply make mucus to protect itself. She said the mucus has to come from the PND. She also told me it was strange that my reflux symptoms got better with antibiotics as it is usually the opposite. She told me she would check me for H.Pylori if I set up an endoscopy with her but I don't want this lady touching me.

Consiquently, a doctor where I work recommended I set up an appointment with his personal GI doc who is supposed to be realy good. I have an appointment with him next friday and I am looking forward to picking his brain.

But on to some good news... It seems that with some moderation in the diet and major decrease in caffeine induced stress, I can eliminate daytime halitosis. Here is what is working for me right now:
Besides the usual tongue brush, teeth cleaning blah blah,
Eat small portions of food. More food = more reflux
Drink only 1 small coffee per day. Less stress and dry throat
Take 80mg Nexium per day. 1 in the morning, 1 at night.
Absolutely no soda this is the worst offender for me.
Low carbs as they tend to give me bloat which means more gas
Finaly, I use Arm and Hammer nasal spray 3 times per day to thin the PND which makes it run down the throat easier and not stick as much. It's like a neti pot in a can. lol.

Now I seem to only get a very mild halitosis when i lay in bed at night and sometimes when I wake up I'll have it and it is always associated with mucus. However, my daughter hasn't said I smell since my surgery and believe me she would tell me if I did. This tells me at least that even when I get halitosis it doesn't carry for a distance like it did before.

So I have established that 100% this smell is associated with the mucus and according to my tonsilectomy pathology report and other sinus and nasal exams, that mucus is not infected. No mucus = No halitosis (based on prior experience).

Thus... No Gerd = No PND = No Mucus = No halitosis?

. <------- If only it were that simple though.

Or

No H.pylori = No halitosis and who the hell know why but who cares!
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

@Notanymore

Before your surgery, how often would your daughter tell you that you smell?
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

@archimonde. Not sure why that is important but at least a couple times a week. Unfortunatly I would actualy try to stay at arms length from her so she didn't smell me because her comments would make me extremely anxious and depressed. Kind of like this reply...:( Nothing is worse than dreading close contact with your own daughter. That aspect has been the most dissapointing of all my bad breath experiences.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

I asked because you said " my daughter hasn't said I smell since my surgery". Going from telling you couple times a week to never is proof that you're 100% cured. I wanted to know how big the difference is in terms of reaction, i thought that was important information.

You're the most legit cure i've seen on this forum in a very long time, so thank you for all the info.

Just my 2 cents: you shouldn't worry too much about GERD, mucous and everything else, they might not be related to BB at all. LOTS of people have PND, there are many posts about that on WebMD and they never mention BB. I personally think mucus is not related to BB at all. You should try WebMD, not a BB forum for your other problems.

How old were you when your BB started?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Have either of you tried what "Searching" had described with bismuth?
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

@Archimonde. I want to believe I am cured but I can assure you the opposite is true. There is no doubt life has gotten much better since the surgery and when I get halitosis it isn't as robust as before. I know I had tonsil plaque and food decay collecting in the crypts so removal simply had to make things better. However, I still get mucus every day and when it dries it smells like crap. Perhaps that is my bacterial predisposition when the situation is created to harbor too much bacteria. My thinking is that normal people who aren't constantly clearing their throats and dealing with reflux and mega dose PPI medication (which certainly dries your throat) don't have everday halitosis because they don't harbor as much bacteria....it get's washed away.

Bottom line is that I know what normal is because I lived it into my mid twenties. I know what my mouth should feel like and what it's like to walk around without a piece of gum in my mouth. I long for those days and now only seem to have them when I'm on antibiotics. This whole mess started 12 years ago with reflux. I have confirmed reflux and barrett's with a defective LES and Hiatal hernia. It's time for me to get off the high dose PPI's i've been taking for years and I am willing to take risks to do so.

And Halitosux, I have tried the bismuth but it didn't seem to help.

Thank you guys/gals for sharing your thoughts in this thread and for your support. You are the only ones who understand what it's like to deal with this and I truly respect and appreciate your input.
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

I made some research and I found that the following things might help for bad breath (based on forum posts):

- manuka honey
- mastic gum
- using betaine HCL and Vitamin B12 for those who have issue with their gut.. apparently the guy that posted about this said that he lacked acid in his stomach which would made breaking food down hard.
- ginger juice + turmeric in the morning
- Kombucha

Please share if you've tried any of these. thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic