Your Email Address:

First Name:

SIBO conection to BB AND A CURE

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Garden
Total Newbie

SIBO conection to BB AND A CURE

Post by Garden »

I have been visiting and reading this site for the past 3 years with not much to contribute until now.

It's taken a while and many doctors to piece together what caused this to begin, and a "cure".

Long story short,

Im in good health, great oral hygiene and work in the health industry. Developed the following symptoms at 37yrs,

Symptoms (which started off as periodic and are now daily):

Sour taste in mouth
burning and pain in mouth
thirst
Thick saliva
Motility slowed over time.
Sensitivity to carbohydrates.
Symptoms go away while on antibiotics but come back after.

diagnosis (which took the 3 years to piece together and $100,000+ in medical costs --thankfully we have great insurance!):

-Dry mouth (although I did not realize as only 2 of the 6 main glands have stopped normal function).
-silent reflux/minor gastritis (meaning no heartburn)
- SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth)

Although I have been to mainstream, integrative, and alternative doctors, it has been the doctors at Georgetown University and GW University that have been the most helpful in putting this puzzle together.

What has worked to help "cure":

- On-going diet modifications and limiting carbohydrates as that is what fuels BB bacteria. Following the "Fast Tract Diet" by Dr. Norm Robillard http://digestivehealthinstitute.org/ HAS BEEN KEY. This book has explained so many of the diet questions that I had that didn't seam to make sense. Why can I drink black coffee and acidic foods with no reaction but a salad immediately creates bad breath? Now I know.

- NOT USING COMMERCIAL TOOTHPASTE OR MOUTHWASH. Also key. Now I use food-grade Hydrogen peroxide + baking soda. I mix it into a little paste. It's inconvenient but it works great!

-Taking Natren probiotics. The best in the industry (and I work in the industry)

-Taking HCL + Pepsin before every meal or snack.

This regimen has given me some normalcy back. Im sharing to hope save you some time and energy, and pain.

lookingforcure
Junior

Post by lookingforcure »

Have you had a stool test done? Specifically Gram Stain test?

If so, what were the results?

I assume you've had other tests done, but when I took the Hydrogen Breath Tests (consumed dextrose), I had bacteria that produced Hydrogen and Methane (the results combined by both reached 8, it said on the scaled result sheet that anything over "12" would be considered overgrowth.

Can you enlighten me with any insight of my results?

I'm waiting for the results for my stool test to come back. I'll update that once I get it.

I read Dr. Kessers forum about GERD and acid reflux. It's your body's reaction not being able to properly asborb and digest carbohydrates and my assumption is because the use of antibiotics ( destroyed bacteria along with enyzmes responsible for digesting)

Digestive enyzmes seem to help with my LPR (I took three before breakfast)
(better digestion of food - carbs - less reflux)

*edit*
and thank you for your contribution

also take alook at this
viewtopic.php?t=6031
Trunks99
Advanced

Re: SIBO conection to BB AND A CURE

Post by Trunks99 »

Garden wrote:I have been visiting and reading this site for the past 3 years with not much to contribute until now.

It's taken a while and many doctors to piece together what caused this to begin, and a "cure".

Long story short,

Im in good health, great oral hygiene and work in the health industry. Developed the following symptoms at 37yrs,

Symptoms (which started off as periodic and are now daily):

Sour taste in mouth
burning and pain in mouth
thirst
Thick saliva
Motility slowed over time.
Sensitivity to carbohydrates.
Symptoms go away while on antibiotics but come back after.

diagnosis (which took the 3 years to piece together and $100,000+ in medical costs --thankfully we have great insurance!):

-Dry mouth (although I did not realize as only 2 of the 6 main glands have stopped normal function).
-silent reflux/minor gastritis (meaning no heartburn)
- SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth)

Although I have been to mainstream, integrative, and alternative doctors, it has been the doctors at Georgetown University and GW University that have been the most helpful in putting this puzzle together.

What has worked to help "cure":

- On-going diet modifications and limiting carbohydrates as that is what fuels BB bacteria. Following the "Fast Tract Diet" by Dr. Norm Robillard http://digestivehealthinstitute.org/ HAS BEEN KEY. This book has explained so many of the diet questions that I had that didn't seam to make sense. Why can I drink black coffee and acidic foods with no reaction but a salad immediately creates bad breath? Now I know.

- NOT USING COMMERCIAL TOOTHPASTE OR MOUTHWASH. Also key. Now I use food-grade Hydrogen peroxide + baking soda. I mix it into a little paste. It's inconvenient but it works great!

-Taking Natren probiotics. The best in the industry (and I work in the industry)

-Taking HCL + Pepsin before every meal or snack.

This regimen has given me some normalcy back. Im sharing to hope save you some time and energy, and pain.
What do you think about VSL#3 probiotics?

I have the same symptoms pretty much.

I stopped using toothpaste and I replaced it with a wooden stick (siwak - google it).. it's like a natural toothbrush.. My teeth feel clean but my breath still smells like shit.
lookingforcure
Junior

Post by lookingforcure »

I take VSL# 3 probiotics

very expensive and i see little to no relief

edit*

but hey I may not be using them correctly... for my experience of using this probiotic..
I have more gas / terrible smelling gas

But i will know for certain once I get my stool test results

I wish this forum was more active.. There seems to be more lurkers than contributors
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

lookingforcure wrote:I take VSL# 3 probiotics

very expensive and i see little to no relief

edit*

but hey I may not be using them correctly... for my experience of using this probiotic..
I have more gas / terrible smelling gas

But i will know for certain once I get my stool test results

I wish this forum was more active.. There seems to be more lurkers than contributors
Yeah same... not many people posting.

Do you have IBS?

Also, how is your diet? Because the smell may be an indication of a diet high in fat.
lookingforcure
Junior

Post by lookingforcure »

My diet is terrible. Out of a scale from 1 - 10 .. 10 eating healthy..... I'm at an honest 2. Overeating / eating tons of junk food and excess carbs etc just being a fat pig

I show some symptoms of IBS but my point is I shouldn't have any of these diseases or issues. 1 year ago I never had such problems. It's rather unbelievable how things can change so fast.

I will be starting a juicing experiment to see if I see any relief from that. I think fruit juicing can certainly help with a lot of my symptoms

VSL #3 I'd say works. There were days my stool came out cleanly without needing to wipe but the next day it would turn back to loose / inconsistent stools

Maybe it wasn't the "cure" I was looking for though.

If it wasn't so expensive I'd recommend it to you, but without significant results, it's hard for me to go and tell you, yeah it's worth it
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

lookingforcure wrote:My diet is terrible. Out of a scale from 1 - 10 .. 10 eating healthy..... I'm at an honest 2. Overeating / eating tons of junk food and excess carbs etc just being a fat pig

I show some symptoms of IBS but my point is I shouldn't have any of these diseases or issues. 1 year ago I never had such problems. It's rather unbelievable how things can change so fast.

I will be starting a juicing experiment to see if I see any relief from that. I think fruit juicing can certainly help with a lot of my symptoms

VSL #3 I'd say works. There were days my stool came out cleanly without needing to wipe but the next day it would turn back to loose / inconsistent stools

Maybe it wasn't the "cure" I was looking for though.

If it wasn't so expensive I'd recommend it to you, but without significant results, it's hard for me to go and tell you, yeah it's worth it
I had the same problem and I started eating healthier and things improved for me.

What I do is juice one apple + carrots + ginger + turmeric in the morning. Eat a healthy lunch (veggie + poultry ot fish or salad with olive oil/ACV as a sauce) and then soup or veggies for dinner. I'm not very consistent but I know it works. Stop unhealthy snacks too.

I'm telling you this so you don't end up with Crohn's disease or IBS. I realized how diet was important when I started making research online about my symptoms.

And don't overeat either because that's what's causing you excessive belching among others.

I know it's easier said than done but you gotta give it a try.

Last year I visited my parents abroad and ate healthy food for like 2 weeks -- all my symptoms went away. Then back to the US, and symptoms are back. In the West, and especially North America, we have a very unhealthy relationship with food (because of commercials? overconsumption culture? pesticides? GMO? Probably..)
Garden
Total Newbie

Post by Garden »

First things first, your diet must be in order. I consume a healthy plant based diet. No junk. ever. never have, never will. Reading the book, the Fast Tract Diet was enlightening because it examines the relationship between resistant starch, fiber (two carbohydrates generally thought of as healthy) and their effect on IBS/Heartburn --which can lead to BB.

Resistant starches and fiber were primary in my diet and I have seen significant positive changes since limiting them.

I have never tried the VSL probiotics, but have heard good things. Any decent probiotic is going to be expensive. Natren, the brand I like, is also very $$$.

One thing I forgot to mention is that increasing my water consumption to 80-100oz has also helped.
lookingforcure
Junior

Post by lookingforcure »

there has to be an explanation as to why I'm suffering from these symptoms. Something in my body was destroyed / altered in a way that I can't digest food normally. Why was I able to overeat a year ago and have no symptoms but now I can't do anything?

I have something in me thats causing all the problems / I don't have whats in me what a healthy person has in them / or a combination of both
Garden
Total Newbie

Post by Garden »

Yes you are right there has to be a reason, but I cant answer that. For me, I believe it started with dry mouth + low stomach acid allowing bacteria to thrive. Im not sure why or how the bad bacteria took over (nor do I think that's particularly important as it could be any of a myriad of reasons). Its likely that I also stopped/slowed producing digestive enzymes--which is common as we age. Certain carbohydrates feed bacteria which can create gas. Those bacteria/gases also produce a "silent" acid reflux and minor IBS resulting in BB (plus a burning, thick saliva and sour taste).

The routine I noted has given me my life back and Im now able to increase some of the previously offender foods back into my diet (nuts and some seeds). I do hope that I will be able to resume my normal plant based diet someday. But for now we are still taking it day-by-day.

Hope this helps.
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

Garden wrote:Yes you are right there has to be a reason, but I cant answer that. For me, I believe it started with dry mouth + low stomach acid allowing bacteria to thrive. Im not sure why or how the bad bacteria took over (nor do I think that's particularly important as it could be any of a myriad of reasons). Its likely that I also stopped/slowed producing digestive enzymes--which is common as we age. Certain carbohydrates feed bacteria which can create gas. Those bacteria/gases also produce a "silent" acid reflux and minor IBS resulting in BB (plus a burning, thick saliva and sour taste).

The routine I noted has given me my life back and Im now able to increase some of the previously offender foods back into my diet (nuts and some seeds). I do hope that I will be able to resume my normal plant based diet someday. But for now we are still taking it day-by-day.

Hope this helps.
How do you know if you have low or high stomach acid? Both give you the same symptoms right?
Garden
Total Newbie

Post by Garden »

Yes, you can get acid reflux (or silent reflux as I have) with either too much or too little stomach acid. Although too little stomach acid is thought to be more common, most doctors will still prescribe acid inhibitors like Prilosec, Prevacid etc. Reflux is a common cause of BB.

You can have your stomach acid PH tested by a GI doctor. OR you can simply take HCL/Pepsin supplement and see. You can buy an HCL/Pepsin supplement at Whole Foods Market or a Vitamin Shoppe--just about anywhere. I use Country Life and like it. It also has a few other digestive enzymes in it that I feel are important. You take just before each meal/snack. you will know soon if you have too high or too low. If its too high and you take it, your stomach will burn.

It might take a couple of weeks to see the full benefit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic