Your Email Address:

First Name:

Theory of Underlying Cause of my BB – Carbs & Blood Gluc

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Yes i tried for about a week, my breath was really bad back then since i was eating loads of junk food, and after a week on 0-carb my breath was the same. I'm thinking maybe i wasn't on it long enough. Maybe the stench from years of carbs take longer than a week to go away. Or low carb doesn't work for me at all. I will give this diet another chance, i really like the theory behind it.

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Searching, this is fascinating and your results so far and the logic behind this makes a lot of sense. Best of luck to you, its encouraging to see someone so diligently heading out in new directions with this battle.

If oral/nasal bacteria have anything to do with BB, then something behind it such as this is all it might be taking to cause so much endless misery.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

Archimonde wrote:Do you have a ballpark idea of how many grams of carbs you can eat daily without having BB? There's gotta be a threshold, i wonder if it's the same one for everyone.

I would think that if it's more than 30g/day, it'd be fairly easy to stick to such a diet for life. Less than 30g, might be a lil hard but certainly possible.
Archimonde,

I estimate that I eat <75 grams of carbohydrate a day. I would include more; however, my lifestyle at the moment is sedentary, not enough exercise.

I'm still measuring my fasting, blood-glucose level each morning; and, for the past two weeks it has hovered at high-normal to pre-diabetic, 104, 97, 105, 100, 112, 106, 111, 100, 105, 107, 107, 94, 93, 107 mg glucose/dL blood. (normal fasting blood glucose = 70 to 99 mg/dL). It returns to the normal range during the day.

I have read that protein can metabolize to glucose through a process of gluconeogenesis reported here. This may explain why my blood-glucose level hasn't fallen off the scale when limiting carbohydrates eaten.

The BB is, at the moment, still gone.

At the risk of making an undeserved cause-and-effect connection - I have had, for years, some mildly discolored/distorted fingernails and toenails that may be due to a recalcitrant fungal infection. These are beginning to clear, using no medication, and the distortion seems to be replaced by normal, nail growth.
Danmeister
Total Newbie

Post by Danmeister »

There is a book available on amazon called carb counter that gives you the amount of carbs in just about everything from vegetables to a big mac. Its published by Collins gem so its pocket sized too, I payed less than £3 for it.
tonsolloliths

Post by tonsolloliths »

On the topic of dairy, it is interesting to note that cheese and butter contain 0 carbs while milk, creme, yogurt have considerable amount of carbs.

If carbs are truly what bacteria feed on, then eating cheese should have no effect on BB.
Butter is a pure fat and that's why it has no carbs. Cheese is almost pure fat also but it is technically mold and I think it's the bacteria in cheese that causes bb or makes bb worse. Milk, yogurt and other dairy products contain the milk sugar ,lactose, which has carbs. The fermenting process of cheese all but eliminates the lactose but replaces with mold.

In the past I have used a low carb diet to lose weight. I lost weight and something else was an interesting byproduct; I had 0 gas and bloating. So I think the elimination of dairy products really helped in that area. But I will say that my bb was the worst during this time; I think the bacteria in my mouth really thrived on all that protein.

A typical day was breakfast: egg omelet cooked in butter with sausage lunch: roast beef or chicken breast with mayo wrapped in lettuce leaves and a salad with high fat dressing like caesar, dinner: slab of meat on one half of plate with green beans or spinach on other half, dessert: homemade chocolate ice cream with stevia for sweetener.

This diet really helped to keep my blood sugar stabilized, as I have hypoglycemia. I could not stay on it for long however, as I was tired all the time, from lack of carbs.

G
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

tonsolloliths wrote: mayo wrapped in lettuce leaves and a salad with high fat dressing like caesar, dinner: slab of meat on one half of plate with green beans or spinach on other half, dessert: homemade chocolate ice cream with stevia for sweetener.

This diet really helped to keep my blood sugar stabilized, as I have hypoglycemia. I could not stay on it for long however, as I was tired all the time, from lack of carbs.

G
The diet you described doesn't sound low carb to me at all. And some of the stuff you were eating is junk.

Besides, when you switch from a carb diet to a non-carb diet, it takes your body roughly 2 weeks to adapt using ketones as energy instead of glucose. During that transition, symptoms include extreme thirst and fatigue, that might explain why you were tired all the time.

I've convinced two BB buddies to try this diet and so far, they too half-ass the diet by eating low-carb junk, they must have their sweets! That's just the wrong attitude to have in my opinion. Eliminate sweets from your diet and find sweetness elsewhere in life.
tonsolloliths

Post by tonsolloliths »

Archimonde,

That diet I described is extremely low carb, maybe too low. Keep in mind it's mayo, not miracle whip which is high sugar crap.

G
searching
Master
Post by searching »

For the last month, as a test, I have been very disciplined in limiting, nearly to zero, my intake of simple and complex carbohydrates, i.e. no sucrose (table sugar), processed grains, i.e. bread, pasta, pastries, nor starch, i.e. potatoes, rice, corn, etc.

I have stopped the use of orally-ingested bismuth, described in recent posts, to further observe the effect on my BB, absent the sorption of VSCs.

I have been eating low starch, or starch-free vegetables cooked and raw, eggs, meat, fish, fowl protein, and dairy. I drink coffee and tea using only artificial sweeteners. I consume beer and liquor in moderation.

I do not know if I can maintain this diet; however, I continue to gain insight on the root-cause of my condition; and, this knowledge is very useful to me.

My BB is gone. I've lost 15 lbs. No gas. My theory is that I am denying excess nutrient to microorganisms that thrived on the extra calories that my metabolism could not employ as fuel. Therefore the VSC production has decreased to an acceptably-low level.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

My BB has disappeared; and, has not returned during this recent period of a nearly carbohydrate-free diet. I’ve achieved my targeted weight loss.

This result indicates that much, or all, of my BB history has been due to excess, carbohydrate consumption.

By knowing the cause-and-effect relationship between excessive carbohydrate intake, serving as the nutrient source of a subset of anaerobic microorganisms putrefying in my digestive tract – enables me to sustain my drive to limit starch- and sugary-food and drink.

Best wishes to all in finding the root-cause of your specific issue.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Thank you as always for sharing your findings and your opinions.
Best wishes to you too.
lookingforcure
Junior

Post by lookingforcure »

DING DING DING DING

thank you for your research and updates

i think you just completed my cure

may I ask

What were youre eating habits growing up as a child? teenage years? just your past life in general

I will RESTART my diet tomorrow with news like this

thank you so much

i feel enlightened =D

here's my thread, i didnt know yours existed

viewtopic.php?t=6119
searching
Master
Post by searching »

lookingforcure wrote:What were your eating habits growing up as a child? teenage years? just your past life in general
My eating habits, throughout most of my past, were heavy on processed carbohydrates, i.e. pasta, bread, cookies, candy, sweetened soft drinks, then protein, with vegetables being the least eaten.

I’ve always had a slim body type despite the above-average level of caloric intake.

I do not claim that I had a yeast or Candida overgrowth. I do believe that I had been providing an assortment of anaerobic, intestinal microorganisms with an abundance of nutrients that my body type did not use, nor store as reserves. I believe these microbes used the carbohydrate as a carbon source [food] and converted excess proteins into VSCs that were eliminated in breath, solid, and gaseous waste. Note: the proteins alone would not support the vigorous overpopulation and overactivity of the microbes. The organisms needed the excess glucose, fructose, and sucrose sugars that my normal metabolism could not process.

I’ve theorized, years ago, that excessive carbohydrate intake may have been the cause of my BB. It’s only recently that I stopped all topical, and internal, fixes directed at the symptoms – and focused on the root-cause of my BB.

These organisms are now suppressed/starved, simply by denying them food, resulting from a change in my diet.

Others on the forum observe the elimination of BB when using antibiotics, i.e. BB is the byproduct of unwanted microbial activity. I observe the elimination of BB by slowing, or stopping unwanted microbial activity, by eliminating their food.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Searching, do you ever get hypoglycemic?
Do you get lots of wind and bloating and/or have an abnormally distended abdomen (for someone who is skinny I mean)?
Do you have excessive levels of PND?

I have all the above. One thing I've never tried is a low or zero carb diet. I might try this soon. Thanks in advance for any reply.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

halitosisux wrote:do you ever get hypoglycemic?
Do you get lots of wind and bloating and/or have an abnormally distended abdomen (for someone who is skinny I mean)?
Do you have excessive levels of PND?
Thus far I have not experienced hypoglycemia, i.e. I have not experienced low, blood-sugar levels.

In the past, when I consumed my former, high-carbohydrate diet, I did indeed experience lots of wind and minor bloating. The intestinal generation of gas was very frequent after eating. I thought this was normal; however, now that I’ve eliminated most carbohydrates, the gas and bloating are completely gone.

I do not think that I have excessive levels of PND.

I remain on this diet and my BB is still gone. I derive my energy from protein and oils, e.g. breakfast of eggs and sausage, ham, or bacon with dairy. Lunch and dinner of beef, pork, poultry, or fish with low-carbohydrate vegetables combined with olive oil, butter, and/or cheese. I drink coffee throughout the day, using cream and artificial sweetener. At present I am not consuming any pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, starch-containing beans, bread, cake, sugar, fruit, etc.

I’m fully-satisfied, not hungry. My skin and scalp are clearer and dandruff is gone. It was formerly a problem for decades.

I use no medication, nor mouthwash, nor supplements of any kind.

Excessive carbohydrate intake continues to appear to have been the root-cause of my BB and skin problems.

I believe I have found my solution. I feel wonderful.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Fantastic news.
I'll be giving this a try very soon.
Perhaps only certain people who have the same underlying problem that you've identified, will also suffer with the secondary effects, such as dandruff and bad skin, and as in my case, excessive PND and susceptibility to hypoglycemia. I'm hoping this will be the case for me, as I've been troubled with these problems since I can remember.

That's a lot of generalizing, but there has to be some underlying cause for these unexplained health issues, including BB of course.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic