Your Email Address:

First Name:

Second tonsillectomy..

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
FedUp
God

Second tonsillectomy..

Post by FedUp »

Well I sought a second opinion from another ENT doctor. Turns out I had in fact tonsil tissue left over on my right side- which is where I could detect the shit smell whenever I could. I went in on monday for the op. The second time a lot of tissue was removed, a huge part of the arch behind the tonsil was removed and even a tiny bit of my uvula- not bothered about that. But what's funny is, the wound smells like death- tonsil stones and shit. Hopefully, when it all clears the smell will also be gone. But I can sense this smell through my nose at times. What's strange is I ran my finger on the scab and my finger didn't smell so i got disheartened- why i was i tasting/ smelling shit again??.... any way i ran cotton buds over the scab and some of the tissue came with it and it reeked of poo/death. not gonna say i'm cured yet because i'm certain i was getting reactions the other day at the store. there's no smell from my gums, and surprisingly enough my tongue doesn't have any offensive odor to it. i'm not on antibiotics by the way- just plain old pain killers. i'm hoping after everything has healed this will be it.

Even if this nightmare ends, i dont think i'll ever be the same again. this has ruined me. but for now- day 6 and the pain is horrible this time around.

will keep updating every now and then. I have an evening out on saturday- absolutely dreading it. scabs should be gone by then though hopefully.

Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
nolagirl

Post by nolagirl »

good luck with the healing! i have a tonsillectomy in a few days and im dreading the pain but it helps knowing im not alone:)
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Good luck with the tonsillectomy- I hope this is it for you!!

As for me, pain in the 2nd week has increased.

I can still taste the pooey smell but I know where it is coming from and when i put a cotton bud there, wow...... it stinks very badly. on my first tonsillectomy i don't recall ever smelling anything bad at all during recovery. when that part heals up I'm sure the smell will disappear for good. and i can safely say smell and taste are so different. the wound tastes like a tonsil stone but upon smelling on a cotton bud, it gives off a horrible shittier stench. let's hope i hit the jack pot and this is dying away. time will tell.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Mac
Junior

Post by Mac »

I'm rooting for you mate. I know you've been through hell. Just remember, you are more than this horrible condition and a worthy human with or without it.
ttylxman

Post by ttylxman »

Being able to smell it definitely sounds promising. If it's exposed to air flow then the oxygen and saliva alone might kill the bacteria.

Very interested to hear your progress. Good luck man!
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Just a quick update.

My tongue has never been so pink... I was quite taken aback when I gazed into the mirror, however, there are still yellow bits back there and I catch whiff of a bad smell now and then still. So i'm gonna wait until everything has healed up properly to determine if i'm cured. I just used mouth wash for the first time in 2 weeks and I could immediately taste that smell from the sight of the scabs, so it hasn't disappeared fully. and I'm a little worried as I'm going out tomorrow night but I feel confident enough to apologise for my BB as i've still got smelly scabs in my throat- so i can at least feel a bit at ease.

But before the SECOND tonsillectomy I could scrape my tongue and it would still be quite white- but now it's like 95% pink. even under a bright flash light it's more pink than white... having been aware of my bb for 3 years- it's a relief to see something has changed. i can now recall moments long before I even clocked on to my condition and i cringe. i recall speaking to a girl and i remember her positioning herself away from me inch by inch discreetly, wow. the "have you farted" comments which when you're unaware you just put it down to someone must have but never being able to smell it.

May just be unrelated but it's definetly perked me up to see a "normal" looking tongue.

day 11 post op- pain still mildly there in that respect. i'm sick of feeling ill and being in pain- i truly hope this is worth it. mouth is loaded with thick stringy saliva which is quite distressing at the moment.

will update in the next few days.[/b]
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Been quite a bad few weeks returning to the world, i'm still hearing comments but it's so confusing. I can still mildly "sense" or "taste" a shitty smell from the area of the tonsillectomy. sometimes when I'm talking I can smell/taste it from that area too. There is still a streak of yellow in that area. I can detect the smell and it seems to be coming from that right side, not sure it's a 100% fully healed 23 days after the op. and if i breathe really hard from behind the area i can faintly smell it. the smell is definitely from the back of my throat-no question. i'm pissed off that it hasn't gone but it's nice to know that i'm one step closer. tongue is still decent too. But thus far smell is still there. and btw one week after the op the odor absolutely stunk my room out and it was even in my bed sheets and clothes that were inside the room- now i've never ever detected it like that before. i'd come back after a shower and sniff up and my word- horrible. i remember being lay in bed and suddenly smelling horse shit very strongly and i could detect that through nasal breathing- jesus it was god awful. that small area of healing tissue stunk and funked the room out, something to think about. just one small area can funktify a room.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
ttylxman

Post by ttylxman »

Have you tried nasal irrigation using iodine or other germ killers? It sounds like you might have some sort of infection or fungus in your right sinus or something. ENTs can be pretty useless when it comes to the sinuses. Mine said I had inflammation based on a CT scan and gave me steroids which I already told him didn't work for me. That's as far as he could help me.

I tested negative to all allergies and antihistamines don't do anything so I'm basically left to figure it out. Non-allergic rhinitis I believe was what the term is.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

40 days after this and i still have white around the area which i can smell myself after a few hours. just swabbed the area and got a faint shit smell..... is this normal to have white on the area still after that period of time???

i'm also suspecting one of my upper teeth. just piecing together "reactions" and I recall when i lived wwith a friend we was about to have a party and i got nervous so i went to brush my teeth came back to the party and sat with someone, and i smelt this shit smell rush down my right nostril prompting "have you farted or something?" and times ive used mouth wash and got the "has someone been for a shit?" is the mouth wash just accelerating the smell further, am i tapping into it, i don't know..

And on occasion I've been eating, left the area and returned to a shit smell mixed with the food i'd just eaten. sometimes i can detect the odor, kind of a cross between a dirty sock mixed with shit. it's definitely from the mouth/throat. i do not suspect TMAU.

this is the year i beat it, 3 years is enough... i am missing out on life. i am scared to death i'll end up 70 years old and alone or worse ............ harm myself.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
english15
Total Newbie

Post by english15 »

I think a lot of people understandably pressume that if their odor is not 'fishy' or fish like that that means TMAU can be excluded. But TMAU is apparently only one metabolic conditions which can cause odors to emit from exhaled air and pores. The fact is there are others (many not yet recognised) because essentially if enzymes in the liver are not firing up correctly or if there is some defect then the metabolic pathways will not work correctly and the only way the body can deal or attempt to deal with the issue is to excrete the products which cannot be processed via the usual pathway. This will be through either urination, defication, sweat or exhaling. I completely recognise that we all want to pin our problem somewhere where there is expertise and an obvious explanation with a known and practical solution eg: tonsils, teeth, sinuses etc.... but clearly for a lot of us our hygiene (oral and generally) is A1 and therefore we need to consider those potential causes which, regrettably, are not that well understood by science at this point or have not been explored fully. This is where I believe the problem lies for the majority of us who have a persistent odor(s), despite our A1 hygiene practices- extra oral halitosis/malodor i.e. metabolic.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

I'm scared to death of taking a TMAU test but I do doubt I have it. I hope I don't.

nearly 2 months post op and there is still white on the area. can healing really take this LONG? I'm still detecting the shit smell in my nose, still over hearing comments- just today... I'm getting really frustrated with this. the smell is definitely emitting from the right side, can that area really be causing so much stench? it changes from dirty sock sort of smell to tonsily stone smell and even tasted eggy at some points.... i'm going absolutely insane.. why is the area taking so long to heal fully. i'm thinking- cocaine and a pair of pliers to start pulling right upper teeth. i cannot live like this any longer, paranoia, bewilderment, exclusion, just rock bottom, yet murderers rapists etc live on bb free.

[-o< ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :-k :-k ](*,) ](*,) :-&
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Sorry to hear about your continued problems. I am in the same boat after a second tonsillectomy as well. I have managed to find a daily routine that allows me to function relatively normaly.

Wake up to a throat full of nasty smelling and tasting mucus.
Brush teeth
squirt saline rinse up both nostrils (canned simply saline)
Blow nose
Then squirt one spray of sinus buster2 in each nostril
No not blow nose

Shower
eat breakfast with coffee (which helps clear the mucus)
repeat nasal spray process

By this time my mouth is moist and I have cleared out all stagnant mucus in the nasopharynx and throat. My breath will be good untill arounf 8pm when it magicaly turns bad again (nightime dry mouth). I use the spray after eating lunch and dinner and before bed.

I also take 40mg of nexium every morning and drink plenty of water (very important).

I have one sides post nasal drip which smells like shit if left to accumulate and dry in my nose or throat. I have chronic sinusitis and GERD. It took me a long time to figure out that tonsil crypts made the problem worse but were only a symptom, not the problem. I have an ENT appointment on friday after just getting off antibiotics for a sinus infection. This was the first time i have ever taken antibiotics and not experienced relief from halitosis or PND.
The new standard for bacterial sinus infections is 20 days. I have never taken more than 14 days of antibiotics. Chronic sinusitis is treated for a much longer period of time and with triple antibiotics so I will talk to the doctor about that.

The key (for me anyway) is to keep nasal pasages moist (saline) and open (sinus buster) to facilitate proper mucus drainage.

I know it says your sinuses are normal so this may not apply to you but if PND is a major problem, you should give it a shot. Sorry about all your troubles. I was at my all time lowest point after realising the tonsilectomy didn't cure me. Thankfully I have found this routine and can completely rule out tonsil stones as a source. Also, my breath did improve about 50% so it was worth it.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

I think maybe PND is allergy related. I've never once in 3 years detected an odor on my snot or mucus, i've even left it in jars over night and nothing. Do you ever get around certain people and you can smell your own breath? mine smelt like the swab I took from the white area- albeit the swab was quite faint. i've come across a few people and I can detect my own and no it's not theirs but I thought it was. I think when even I can smell my breath, others must smell it ten times stronger? I noticed sometimes paper cups im drinking out of tend to start smelling like old socks. and i'm sorry yours didn't work I know that horrible sinking feeling oh so well and it;s bizarre you have to do all that just to get through the day.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
english15
Total Newbie

Post by english15 »

Hi

Yes your observation about smelling the odor when near some people and not others (vast majority) is very very similar to my observation too; like you I had initially thought they may have BB but it's not....in a way it is a little similar to the the fact that very rarely and only under certain conditions can i fleetingly catch a smell of the odor.
chrissie
Total Newbie

Post by chrissie »

The smell of dirty socks is actually a sign of a rare metabolic disorder, similar to TMU. I can't remember what it's called, but try Google. But most likely the smell would be more general and not localized to the throat.

And make sure it isn't in fact your socks AND your throat :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic