Your Email Address:

First Name:

half-way cure, but need answers

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
forgettit
Total Newbie

half-way cure, but need answers

Post by forgettit »

I have all symtoms, have the worst of the worst bb.

My saliva smells vinegar on my tounge, sometimes like shit!
recently i tried some medicin. you chew and suck on it, it foams up in your mouth and you swallow it. the purpose is to stay like a sheet over the food and everything in your stomach. like a cover.

After the med my tongue is pink, and my tongue dosen't smell at all. i can wake up without any smell on my tounge.
but the thing is if i put my finger deeper in the throat and pick saliva ( and i mean realy deep in) then the same smell is there.

What does this mean?

Trunks99
Advanced

Re: half-way cure, but need answers

Post by Trunks99 »

forgettit wrote:I have all symtoms, have the worst of the worst bb.

recently i tried some medicin. you chew and suck on it, it foams up in your mouth and you swallow it. the purpose is to stay like a sheet over the food and everything in your stomach. like a cover.

After the med my tongue is pink, and my tongue dosen't smell at all. i can wake up without any smell on my tounge.
but the thing is if i put my finger deeper in the throat and pick saliva ( and i mean realy deep in) then the same smell is there.

What does this mean?
Do you have PND? Have you tried neti pot w/GSE yet?
forgettit
Total Newbie

Post by forgettit »

I have removed my tonsills, checked for H. pylori.
Used neti pot for over3 years. but never GSE.
Neti alone is not helping.
Dentist said she've never seen good teeth like mine

Dr said i have trouble with reflux after gastroscopy

in a few month i'll fix my divided septum.
how do i feel PND? how does it feel? my left nostril is stuffed for the most of the time.

How come this medicine is helping the smell of my saliva? and no couting on tongue
could it be only the reflux? I've tried omeprazol for a month, but it didn't help at all.

the med is Gaviscon
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

forgettit wrote:I have removed my tonsills, checked for H. pylori.
Used neti pot for over3 years. but never GSE.
Neti alone is not helping.
Dentist said she've never seen good teeth like mine

Dr said i have trouble with reflux after gastroscopy

in a few month i'll fix my divided septum.
how do i feel PND? how does it feel? my left nostril is stuffed for the most of the time.

How come this medicine is helping the smell of my saliva? and no couting on tongue
could it be only the reflux? I've tried omeprazol for a month, but it didn't help at all.

the med is Gaviscon
You might want to try adding few drops of GSE in your neti pot. Careful though, because if you add too much it's painful.

PND -- at least for me -- feels like I always something that I can't clear up in the back of my nose, between the back of my nose and the throat to be more precise.

Gaviscon is supposed to help w/reflux isn't it? In this case, you might want to start a diet or something. I've read stories about people that healed their reflux. HERE: http://diyhealthblog.com/2014/01/how-to ... id-reflux/
9YearsToFindCure
Junior

Post by 9YearsToFindCure »

It's your adenoids. Read my story and posts.
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

What does this mean?
I have the same symptoms but with large amounts of mucus especially after eating. I have severe GERD and barret's esophagus.
What's helping right now is low carb diet, neti pot and Smart Mouth mouthwash.
Stress realy makes things bad so I try to limit that. Do you have trouble swallowing food? Do you burp constantly? Is your throat dry all the time? These are all symptoms of GERD.
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

9YearsToFindCure wrote:It's your adenoids. Read my story and posts.
Probably not. Congrats on your cure but not everyone is running around with cysts in their adenoids.
9YearsToFindCure
Junior

Post by 9YearsToFindCure »

NOTANYMORE wrote:
9YearsToFindCure wrote:It's your adenoids. Read my story and posts.
Probably not. Congrats on your cure but not everyone is running around with cysts in their adenoids.
I believe the people on this site moving forward with an adenoidectomy will be cured as I was and that is what's causing most people's bb who've already had tonsillectomies. What my surgeon called a cyst was just a big tonsil stone embedded in the adenoid. There were small stones in them too, and I'm willing to bet that most people are running around with them in their adenoids just like I unwittingly did for 9 years. I even have a pic of the cauterized adenoid with white material on it when it came out a week after surgery. I used to have heavy mucus after eating too, but since my adenoids were removed that has significantly subsided. Do you still have your tonsils? Have you ever had tonsil stones?
forgettit
Total Newbie

Post by forgettit »

NOTANYMORE wrote:

What does this mean?
I have the same symptoms but with large amounts of mucus especially after eating. I have severe GERD and barret's esophagus.
What's helping right now is low carb diet, neti pot and Smart Mouth mouthwash.
Stress realy makes things bad so I try to limit that. Do you have trouble swallowing food? Do you burp constantly? Is your throat dry all the time? These are all symptoms of GERD.
I really relate 2 this.
I burp alot, sometimes 8 out of 10 times it isn't just burp, also stomachacid.
my throat is dry

and my sternum sometimes kills me. (could be barrets)

MY QUESSTION: why does antibiotic help?
does it kill bacteria in the throat or could it be the adenoid?
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Intersting question about the antibiotics. They used to help me as well but the last time I took one it made my breath and GERD symptoms worse. Also, I got some relief from a tonsilectomy but it lasted only 2 months. I am starting to think it is because I wasn't eating much or drinking caffeine. Also, I wasn't at work so my stress was greatly reduced.
I got cocky and started drinking coffee and noticed the mucus forming again when I returned to work.
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

This whole adenoid thing is very interesting as well. I can actualy stick my finger all the way up into the nasopharynx and feel my adenoids. They are small and bumpy but my finger doesn't smell bad when I touch them. In my case, the smell seems to be coming from mucus in the larynx.

If you indeed have a dry throat, that is reason enough to have halitosis. Especially if reflux is present and food particles stick to your esophagus and are allowed to fester. Sometimes my throat is so dry that I can taste the food I just ate for hours afterwards. People at work even say things like "why does it smell like meat in here?" when I return from lunch. Other times my breath smells like pure shit and I can usually taste a lot mucus in those moments.

The doctor prescribed me a malox lidocain coctail which I am picking up today after work. I will report back if any improvement is noted while using it. Unfortunatly there is no "cure" for reflux but I am hoping that surgery will provide more insight into this problem and can allow me to rule it out as a cause if it doesn't work.

Good luck to you
Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

NOTANYMORE wrote:I can actualy stick my finger all the way up into the nasopharynx and feel my adenoids. They are small and bumpy but my finger doesn't smell bad when I touch them. In my case, the smell seems to be coming from mucus in the larynx.
Been thinking about adenoids a lot lately. My adenoids doesn't smell either when i touch them. But let's say your adenoids are indeed housing bad bacteria. What do bacteria need in order to produce bad smelling gas. They need food particles, specifically proteins. But the food enters the mouth and exits through the esophagus, the bacteria in the adenoids never gets any, which could be why they don't smell. There is however lots of leftover food particles still in the mouth, mainly on the tongue.

Then perhaps if there is bad bacteria in the adenoids, and you have post nasal drip. Those bacteria will drip down the throat along with the mucus and get on your tongue. They will then start colonizing the tongue while feeding off of the food particles there. And this, i believe, would cause a coating of the tongue, as well as bad smelling breath. If so, then the adenoids could be a source of halitosis, even if they don't smell themselves.
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Corpsebreath wrote:
NOTANYMORE wrote:I can actualy stick my finger all the way up into the nasopharynx and feel my adenoids. They are small and bumpy but my finger doesn't smell bad when I touch them. In my case, the smell seems to be coming from mucus in the larynx.
Been thinking about adenoids a lot lately. My adenoids doesn't smell either when i touch them. But let's say your adenoids are indeed housing bad bacteria. What do bacteria need in order to produce bad smelling gas. They need food particles, specifically proteins. But the food enters the mouth and exits through the esophagus, the bacteria in the adenoids never gets any, which could be why they don't smell. There is however lots of leftover food particles still in the mouth, mainly on the tongue.

Then perhaps if there is bad bacteria in the adenoids, and you have post nasal drip. Those bacteria will drip down the throat along with the mucus and get on your tongue. They will then start colonizing the tongue while feeding off of the food particles there. And this, i believe, would cause a coating of the tongue, as well as bad smelling breath. If so, then the
adenoids could be a source of halitosis, even if they don't smell themselves.
That is an intersting thought. Have you had sinus xrays? Mine always show chronic sinusitis and especialy in the sphenoid sinus. My ENT just ignores it be because he thinks the inflamation is caused by the reflux and is not a chronic infection. Initially I thought he was full of it and I needed sinus surgery but the more I read about reflux, the more I realise that there realy is a whole body response to a percieved injury when acid irritates tissue. There is, according to my ENT, new literature that points to pepsin as a major source of irritation as well.

I would agree that even if you have small adenoids, if they are cryptic then they can harbor mucus which can fester over time, This could be a major source of halitosis for sure. In others, adenoid removal could help the situation but may not be a total cure if the excess mucus can't be controled. Either way, in my opinion it is worth having surgeries to remove things that aren't necessary if for no other reason than to rule them out as causes.

I saw you might try and remove your adenoids yourself? If so, removing them will be tricky but I would be more worried about an infection than anything else. People fly to colombia and other places to get surgery. Can't we all find a doctor some place willing to work on some smelly people for a flat rate? 😝.

When you put your finger up your nasopharynx, do you use lubrication? I did it the other day and it burned for hours afterwards.
Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

NOTANYMORE wrote:That is an intersting thought. Have you had sinus xrays? Mine always show chronic sinusitis and especialy in the sphenoid sinus. My ENT just ignores it be because he thinks the inflamation is caused by the reflux and is not a chronic infection. Initially I thought he was full of it and I needed sinus surgery but the more I read about reflux, the more I realise that there realy is a whole body response to a percieved injury when acid irritates tissue. There is, according to my ENT, new literature that points to pepsin as a major source of irritation as well.

I would agree that even if you have small adenoids, if they are cryptic then they can harbor mucus which can fester over time, This could be a major source of halitosis for sure. In others, adenoid removal could help the situation but may not be a total cure if the excess mucus can't be controled. Either way, in my opinion it is worth having surgeries to remove things that aren't necessary if for no other reason than to rule them out as causes.

I saw you might try and remove your adenoids yourself? If so, removing them will be tricky but I would be more worried about an infection than anything else. People fly to colombia and other places to get surgery. Can't we all find a doctor some place willing to work on some smelly people for a flat rate? 😝.

When you put your finger up your nasopharynx, do you use lubrication? I did it the other day and it burned for hours afterwards.
I had an x-ray or MRI or something like that done to my brain years ago due to concussion. My brain was fine but it did show i had a swelling in my right maxillary sinus (interestingly the sour taste in my mouth is worse on the right side).
What's you thinking on the relationship between reflux, sinusitis and bad breath? Maybe reflux causes PND, which in turn causes bad breath in some people. Because it's interesting that almost everyone on this site seems to have those three factors in common.

Yes i might remove them myself. I'm not too worried about an infection. As long as the equipment is clean it should be alright. Even if it's only a five percent chance it will cure me it's worth it. But i will sure try to convince the ENT first.
Nope, never use any lube when i show my finger up there. It burns slightly but not for that long. Sounds like your adenoids might have some inflammation maybe.
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Yeah, so according to my ENT, the reflux gasses reach the sinuses and produce inflammation which causes the PND and hypersalivation in the throat. This would explain why when I swallow it never realy feels like everything goes down. There is always excess saliva in my larynx and I feel like mucus is settling all down the left side of my throat.
Sometimes I make a silent throat movement to propell the mucus up into my mouth in order to spit it out. It usually tastes sour and has a white appearence. In the mornings it is yellow, dark yellow, Almost brown or even green. This could be because it was stagnant and the dead white blood cells caused a color change or I could have some lingering infection.

I realy am perplexed at this point, I have a sticky thread on this forum where I had my tonsils and even lingual tonsils removed. I was "cured" for 2 months but the smell and mucus returned. I was on IV antibiotics and wasn't eating much so who knows what fixed the problem during that time.

The ENT is world class and I trust him. He tells me I need to get the stomach surgery in order to fix my reflux problems. the reflux is severe and I burp constantly even after drinking a tiny sip of water. I cannot tolerate soda as it burns my throat and creates tons of throat mucus, making it hard to talk. If I overeat, I can burp and the food comes up into my mouth. I also get severe pain in the chest and middle back if I eat too fast. All tests confirm severe reflux.

My plan is to to get the fundoplication and wait 6 months to see if it improves the sour tasting mucus and halitosis. I am giong to call my ENT this week and have a candid discussion with him about the severity of this situation. My problem has always been that when I see him he is always with two other people and I clam up. Hopefully he will listen to me on the phone as I won't be so emberassed to explain how I can stink up a space 3 feet wide even with my mouth closed....(and honestly, this does not sound like reflux to me). I am going to get his consent to fix my sinuses and remove whatever little bit of adenoids I still have if the fundoplication doesn't work.

Another component to this is that every GI doctor I have spoken with tells me that they have never heard of severe halitosis caused by gerd, They said you can get halitosis but it wouldn't normaly smell up a room. I ran into a kid who was at my work for a highschool field trip and he was a room filler. He was standing in the corner looking at the floor and I knew he was accutely aware of his situation. This is the first time I have ever been around someone like myself and his breath was pure shit. I felt horrible both for him and myself. If that is what I smell like to other people then I will die trying to fix this problem. I was going to approach him but by the time I was finished doing what I had to do, he was gone,

You are right that many of us have the same symptoms and we need to work together to resolve this. We need to report what is working and not working and be willing to try drastic things like surgery to improve our situatiions. If you remove your own adenoids Corpse, please tell us how you did it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic