Your Email Address:

First Name:

10 Long Years

Tell us your story with bad breath
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

MyhopeSomeday25 wrote:9YearsToFindCure .. yes, I read everything and it amazes me it can be in there.. They're in places we all had no clue.. the thing that makes me sad is...if it is my tonsils or adenoid.. it's going to be tough for me to get anything done now.. I don't have the best insurance cause I don't work often and for me to even get my tonsils out much less adenoids.. it has to be a very good reason or I have to pay and i'm broke as hell.. I can just barely pay rent and food and car fare... I don't have the best credit so getting a loan is a no no... see the shoe i'm in is rough :( .. But I will bring this up when I see my ent in the future.. at least I can try...

Trunks99 .. speaking of watermelons.. I have been eating that all week.. I bought 3 packs pre-cut.. they are delicious.. Fasting almost knocked me out.. it was more strenuous than I can ever imagine.. My body was aching.. I was hungry.. had headaches, dizzy.. it was bad.. I realize, pre fasting is just as important too.. I should had ate more better before fasting as it suppose to make the fast process easier... Thanks trunk.. every now and then I post if I see a difference in people's reactions.. I go to the dentist tomorrow.. I actually looking forward to it
You are courageous lol I stopped going to the dentist because I was tired of making my hygienist uncomfortable. I floss/brush everyday, use a natural toothpaste (no glycerin, no fluoride) and that's it..

Yeah let us know how your visit to the dentist went..

badexhale

Post by badexhale »

9YearsToFindCure wrote:I know how most of you are suffering and I want to share my story because I believe it may contain the answer for many of you.

I had braces in my mid twenties and once they came off in 2005, I started having bad breath, PND, white tongue and discovered that I had tonsil stones. I saw my ENT and he said the only way to resolve this problem was a tonsillectomy. I had the operation performed within weeks of finding out and went through the 10 days of excruciating pain, which is what it takes to recover from this surgery as an adult. A month or so after the surgery the tonsil stones were gone, but my wife told me that the halitosis was still there. I was devastated. I went back to the ENT but he had no answers. Since then, I've tried everything from diet, Therabreath, nasal sprays, nasal steroids, H. Pylori test is clear, tongue scrapers, mouth washes, multiple ENTs, you name it and I've done it. Needless to say, it was hard to live like this. I had almost accepted that I would have halitosis for life, but I'm not the type to give up so in 2014, with a renewed fervor to find myself a cure to this miserable state, I finally did. It is the ****ing "Adenoids". In 2005, I had even asked my original ENT if I should have them out and he said no. He had said they shrink down to almost nothing as an adult and he didn't see any inflammation in them. It's complete bullshit and he was dead wrong. The inflammation and tonsil stone smelling, nasty bacteria infested tissue is under the adenoids. They are a type of tonsil too (pharyngeal tonsils) and have their own tiny tonsil stones that are undetectable without a CT and have no clinical symptoms. I found another new ENT and he was willing to remove them for me. The surgery and recovery was painless. After the surgery, my cauterized adenoids crusted off and my bad breath was gone, just like that. Bottom line, if you have halitosis and any kind of tonsil stones, insist on getting your tonsils and adenoids removed. If your ENT won't do it, then tell him to ***k off and find one that will. It saved my life!

If you want to talk or have a question for me, feel free to reach out.

Here are the links that pointed me in the direction of my cure. But the decision to have the 2nd surgery was mine alone and done on faith because I had a sense that the smell, white tongue, and PND were coming from the adenoid region.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17372553

viewtopic.php?t=2770
Wow! You have just validated my suspicion. I was looking into pharyngeal tonsils ( those are between nasal cavity and where the throat connects correct?) for so long now.my ENT denies that taking my tonsils out will help, even after the fact he has seen stones. Was the lingual tonsils also apart of your removal? Please PM me sir I have tons of questions I live in San diego so I might be interested in the ENT that you went to. Thanks in advance
poodude80

Post by poodude80 »

Guys what made you pursue your tonsils as a case of bad breath. I could look into this myself as I do get tonsils stone and I use a water pick to flush them out. Could there be some tonsils stones hidden.

With the stones in the anoids how did you think you had them. Is it that you only get bad breath through your nose and not your mouth.

How can you test for tonsil stones in lingual and anoids or wherever is there a x-ray that can reveal them . I went to a private ent who charged me 300 quid and all he did was shine a flash light into my tonsils and put a tube down my nose and had a look.
9YearsToFindCure
Junior

Post by 9YearsToFindCure »

MyhopeSomeday25 wrote:9YearsToFindCure .. yes, I read everything and it amazes me it can be in there.. They're in places we all had no clue.. the thing that makes me sad is...if it is my tonsils or adenoid.. it's going to be tough for me to get anything done now.. I don't have the best insurance cause I don't work often and for me to even get my tonsils out much less adenoids.. it has to be a very good reason or I have to pay and i'm broke as hell.. I can just barely pay rent and food and car fare... I don't have the best credit so getting a loan is a no no... see the shoe i'm in is rough :( .. But I will bring this up when I see my ent in the future.. at least I can try...
If you have insurance you might be able to get your doctor to take out your tonsils and adenoids. He can claim tonsillitis on the insurance form. He just has to be willing to take out the adenoids too or it won't cure your halitosis. Most docs don't want to do it because they don't see adenoid inflammation. But it's hidden behind the adenoid. You have to beg him to take both. Even show him the French research article. US ENTs need to wake up to this problem and patient demand is the only way to get them to.
9YearsToFindCure
Junior

Poodude80
If you have tonsil stones the smell will come from nose and mouth. You need palatine and pharyngeal tonsils removed, not lingual.
ThinkPositive
Junior

Post by ThinkPositive »

Should I discuss the removal of tonsils and adenoids with my ENT even though I only ever coughed out two tonsil stones like two years ago??
My ENT did say my tonsils are congested..
MyhopeSomeday25

Post by MyhopeSomeday25 »

Here is an update for everyone... I went to the dentist last week and asked him over and over again.. like maybe 10 times.. is there anything in my oral cavity that may be giving me bad breath.. I asked if my gums are good and all that. He told me my gums are healthy and that from his point of view.. nothing in my mouth like filling or bad tooth or gum is causing me my problem.. If I am having bad breath it's not from my mouth.. He even told me he does not smell anything.. So I felt really good but i'm still fragile.. i notched one thing off my list.. it's not my gums, teeth.. He said I have 3 impacted wisdom tooth that should be taken out however..

The fast and eliminating dairy and excessive sugar might be doing me some good.. I have not seen any outrageous looks from people during the week.. I went to the doctor today and I told him my problem.. I almost cried because this really have gotten to me.. he said my mouth and throat looks good ..He thinks I may be allergic to certain foods... He ordered a breath test and a allergy test.. Then I basically started to cry because this been such a long journey.. He told me several times before leaving he does not smell anything and looked concern.. I realize my bad breath comes and goes.. it's here and then it's not.. So my doctor is at the right moment when the bad breath is not there.. He tells me possibilities is that the foods I may be eating is not digesting properly due to lactose intolerance and expelling from my lungs or that my H pylori is back.. he said that can cause bad breath.. Nice to hear a doctor admit that.. Well I had the breath test already.. I will take the allergy test on the 24th.. and so far I think I may be closer to an answer.. I will give an update often.. Good luck everyone..

If you have insurance you might be able to get your doctor to take out your tonsils and adenoids. He can claim tonsillitis on the insurance form. He just has to be willing to take out the adenoids too or it won't cure your halitosis. Most docs don't want to do it because they don't see adenoid inflammation. But it's hidden behind the adenoid. You have to beg him to take both. Even show him the French research article. US ENTs need to wake up to this problem and patient demand is the only way to get them to.
That will be my next step if it turns out it has nothing to do with my digestive system and food tolerance.. I am really hoping it's that so I can put a end to this misery.. If not this will be my next step. Thanks...
9YearsToFindCure
Junior

To ThinkPositive:

If you have any tonsil stones, I would have tonsils and adenoids removed. That smelly stuff hides in the tonsil crypts and doesn't always come out, especially with the adenoids.
MissingLateral2

Post by MissingLateral2 »

Can you try out oil pulling and see if it helps you? I have been trying this (using sesame oil) and the reactions of the people and (the whitish tongue sympton) has gone considerably down.
9YearsToFindCure
Junior

MissingLateral2 wrote:Can you try out oil pulling and see if it helps you? I have been trying this (using sesame oil) and the reactions of the people and (the whitish tongue sympton) has gone considerably down.
If you have what we have and had, that sounds like a waste of time. They won't go away without surgery.
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

MyhopeSomeday25 wrote:
Here is an update for everyone... I went to the dentist last week and asked him over and over again.. like maybe 10 times.. is there anything in my oral cavity that may be giving me bad breath.. I asked if my gums are good and all that. He told me my gums are healthy and that from his point of view.. nothing in my mouth like filling or bad tooth or gum is causing me my problem.. If I am having bad breath it's not from my mouth.. He even told me he does not smell anything.. So I felt really good but i'm still fragile.. i notched one thing off my list.. it's not my gums, teeth.. He said I have 3 impacted wisdom tooth that should be taken out however..

The fast and eliminating dairy and excessive sugar might be doing me some good.. I have not seen any outrageous looks from people during the week.. I went to the doctor today and I told him my problem.. I almost cried because this really have gotten to me.. he said my mouth and throat looks good ..He thinks I may be allergic to certain foods... He ordered a breath test and a allergy test.. Then I basically started to cry because this been such a long journey.. He told me several times before leaving he does not smell anything and looked concern.. I realize my bad breath comes and goes.. it's here and then it's not.. So my doctor is at the right moment when the bad breath is not there.. He tells me possibilities is that the foods I may be eating is not digesting properly due to lactose intolerance and expelling from my lungs or that my H pylori is back.. he said that can cause bad breath.. Nice to hear a doctor admit that.. Well I had the breath test already.. I will take the allergy test on the 24th.. and so far I think I may be closer to an answer.. I will give an update often.. Good luck everyone..

That will be my next step if it turns out it has nothing to do with my digestive system and food tolerance.. I am really hoping it's that so I can put a end to this misery.. If not this will be my next step. Thanks...
Well I hope you find out. I'm still looking, I've noticed that neti pot + GSE helps reduce my BB considerably -- or at least I believe so. But I'm still stuck w/my ibs.
feelitagain

Post by feelitagain »

Hey 9years,

I am very happy when I see a successful story on this site. Most of us are getting through each day not knowing if bb will ever be cured but reading fellow sufferer's success story gives us hope and huge boost emotionally.

Have you been bb free since the surgery? I dont even remember what having a fresh bb feel like..

It would be great if you could break down your daily routine since the surgery. (how many times do you brush/diet/and basically how awesome it is to have fresh bb again)
9YearsToFindCure
Junior

feelitagain wrote:Hey 9years,

I am very happy when I see a successful story on this site. Most of us are getting through each day not knowing if bb will ever be cured but reading fellow sufferer's success story gives us hope and huge boost emotionally.

Have you been bb free since the surgery? I dont even remember what having a fresh bb feel like..

It would be great if you could break down your daily routine since the surgery. (how many times do you brush/diet/and basically how awesome it is to have fresh bb again)
Yes, thankfully, I have been free of bad breath since the adneoidectomy.

I floss and brush after food. I eat whatever the hell I want, except now I'm trying to get back in shape so staying away from junk food and eating healthier, which is unrelated. But I do feel so much better about myself so I'm motivated to improve other aspects of my life like getting in shape. It's amazing to be able to kiss my wife again and not have people turn their heads when I talk to them.

Read these other threads if you haven't already:

viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

viewtopic.php?t=6254
MyhopeSomeday25

Update

Post by MyhopeSomeday25 »

Thought I post an update.. Well I went to the allergy testing and had to wait a long time which gave me anxiety .. Having to sit in a room full of people is very rare for me because I know they will start coughing and holding their nose and move away from me.. Well, some good news. I sat in a room with people for an hour and no strange faces or looks.. The lady next to me even talked to me that she is getting the allergy test done cause she itches a lot.. Still my anxiety was through the roof... I was happy but I was still waiting for the moment for someone to say it smells.. It dd not happen.. I even went down stairs to get a allergy blood test in addition to see if i'm allergic to fish.. I sat there and again no strange looks or holding their nose.. I think simply changing my diet helped tremendously .. I cut out dairy by 90%.. I eat tons of greens... fruits and drink 12 glassed of water a day, upped my fiber intake too.. Then it came crashing down when the lady started taking my blood.. I had to speak right in her face and her face kinda said it all.. My BB is still there but it's just not overwhelming like it was a month ago.. at least a little progress.

I have a ENT appointment on the 6th.. I have been to the ent maybe 6 times in my life and each time I get "I don't smell anything" or "you have GERD" or "it's just a superficial prob".. I'm serious this time.. I will talk about my tonsils and adenoids being possible root of my problem .. If I have to whoop out that picture of the adenoid with the cyst in it.. I will lol.. I noticed something this week.. I have tons of mucus in my nose.. I inhale it right from my nose into my mouth much of the day and if the adenoid is right there..all that mucus passes it.. I can't imagine how much gets trapped.. Its seems more like a possibility its that.. I always felt like something is in back of my nose which why for the last 4 years I have been using neti pot everyday.. I just hope the ent is willing to listen to me.. as much of BB suffers know.. they tend to brush it off .. Will post update after the 7th.. Hope everyone doing good... =D>
feelitagain

Post by feelitagain »

hang in there man!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic