Your Email Address:

First Name:

BB when starting to exercise!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
BBad

BB when starting to exercise!

Post by BBad »

Hey guys, as stated before - I nearly cured my daily BB (for about 95% - with 500mg TID Metronidazole over 10 days + Wisdom Tooth Extraction).

What I discovered a few days ago: When I start to exercise (workout, run, doing any heavy physical activities) my breath gets really really bad for like a few minutes and then gradually gets better.

So when I take a run for like 30 minutes, the breath is very bad from minute 1-10 and when I hit minute 30 its nearly vanished completely.

I have no clue what this could be - whereas it seems pretty obvious to me, maybe you guys have an idea?

aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

Type 4 halitosis may enhance with physical effort if there is not dryness in the mouth.
-M
Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

How can you tell that your breath gets bad when you are running? Do you keep asking people you run by if your breath smells?
BBad

Post by BBad »

Corpsebreath wrote:How can you tell that your breath gets bad when you are running? Do you keep asking people you run by if your breath smells?
Actually there is this method of smelling your own breath by putting the jaw a bit out and pushing the air somehow into the nose (and inhaling at the same time).
Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

Okay. When you're exercising do you get an increased need to cough or clear your throat? From my own experience when i'm running, my sinuses tends to really drain, and after the run, i can breath so much more easily through the nose. I also sometimes need to cough after running. I think that when you're running there is a whole lot of stuff happening in the body. I don't know that much about it. I'm going my first year in university now and what i know is just from basic biology. So if anyone wants to correct me please do. But my guess why it's happening is that as you're running, your metabolism increases and your temperature raises. As your metabolism increases so does the speed of your bodily functions. Your heart starts pumping faster, the organs start working more quickly and also the immune system starts working harder. Basically everything in your body speeds up. So if you already have problems with post nasal drip for example, then that is going to increase as well. And add to that the fact that you're breathing faster and harder. This causes slight irritation to the mucosa layer, and to compensate for that your body increases its mucus production for protection. If you have, say, a hidden infection somewhere in your sinuses, or maybe in your adenoids, then when you're running, all that infected material will run down the throat much faster than it normally does. And after some time, say 10 minutes, most of that gunk will have cleared out so after the run, your breath will actually be better for some time. So basically my guess would be that the source of your bad breath is somewhere in your sinuses or adenoids. Or maybe in your lungs.
BBad

Post by BBad »

Corpsebreath wrote:Okay. When you're exercising do you get an increased need to cough or clear your throat? From my own experience when i'm running, my sinuses tends to really drain, and after the run, i can breath so much more easily through the nose. I also sometimes need to cough after running. I think that when you're running there is a whole lot of stuff happening in the body. I don't know that much about it. I'm going my first year in university now and what i know is just from basic biology. So if anyone wants to correct me please do. But my guess why it's happening is that as you're running, your metabolism increases and your temperature raises. As your metabolism increases so does the speed of your bodily functions. Your heart starts pumping faster, the organs start working more quickly and also the immune system starts working harder. Basically everything in your body speeds up. So if you already have problems with post nasal drip for example, then that is going to increase as well. And add to that the fact that you're breathing faster and harder. This causes slight irritation to the mucosa layer, and to compensate for that your body increases its mucus production for protection. If you have, say, a hidden infection somewhere in your sinuses, or maybe in your adenoids, then when you're running, all that infected material will run down the throat much faster than it normally does. And after some time, say 10 minutes, most of that gunk will have cleared out so after the run, your breath will actually be better for some time. So basically my guess would be that the source of your bad breath is somewhere in your sinuses or adenoids. Or maybe in your lungs.
Ok thank you, thats a very possible cause - I have PND but I guess its due to my light GERD. After Aydinmur's Post I suspect it is really somehow from the lungs - so kidney/liver damage. I will definitely check into both of that.
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

Resolved gases in the blood is the reason of Type 4 halitosis. They enter blood stream from somewhere, then, circulate and enter to alveolar air in lung tissue.

As a rule, more gas enters to alveolar air when/if blood circulation is accelerated by physical exercise, at least for first 5-10 minutes.

But there is an exception. If the patient says "Yes, halitosis enhances during physical exercise but after I feel mouth dryness", then the above rule fails.

There are more corner stones.
-Murat
Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

aydinmur wrote:Resolved gases in the blood is the reason of Type 4 halitosis. They enter blood stream from somewhere, then, circulate and enter to alveolar air in lung tissue.

As a rule, more gas enters to alveolar air when/if blood circulation is accelerated by physical exercise, at least for first 5-10 minutes.

But there is an exception. If the patient says "Yes, halitosis enhances during physical exercise but after I feel mouth dryness", then the above rule fails.

There are more corner stones.
-Murat
Interesting. So how come the rule fails if there is also mouth dryness?
english15
Total Newbie

Post by english15 »

I am not sure what "type 4" means as referred to above? Is this some officially recognised benchmarking or a convenient reference?

But if your odor increases on exercise then I think that would point to a metabolic (blood bourne halitosis) ie. gasses being released through gas exchange on alveolar breath.

Another way which I have sometimes found detection is when someone else's breath vapour is still airbourne and your breath hits it/becomes immersed with it you can sometimes detect odor (but if you purposely breath with this aim you won't and I think that must be because too much of the breath has gone through your nose and hit the sensory tissues so that you wont detect it...this is why we acclimatise and cannot detect our own odors most of the time)
BBad

Post by BBad »

english15 wrote:I am not sure what "type 4" means as referred to above? Is this some officially recognised benchmarking or a convenient reference?

But if your odor increases on exercise then I think that would point to a metabolic (blood bourne halitosis) ie. gasses being released through gas exchange on alveolar breath.

Another way which I have sometimes found detection is when someone else's breath vapour is still airbourne and your breath hits it/becomes immersed with it you can sometimes detect odor (but if you purposely breath with this aim you won't and I think that must be because too much of the breath has gone through your nose and hit the sensory tissues so that you wont detect it...this is why we acclimatise and cannot detect our own odors most of the time)
Type-1 halitosis takes origin from tongue dorsum. Foods are turned aromatic-volatil compounds by anaerobic bacteria between papillae.

Type-2 halitosis takes origin around oral cavity. Paranasal sinuses, Waldeyer's lymphoid ring, retronasal mucosa, oropharynx etc.

Type-3 halitosis takes origin from gastrointestinal canal. Reflux, H. pylori gastritis, bacterial over growth, malabsorptions, gut and colon diseases.

Type-4 halitosis takes origin from blood gases. Many catabolic substances leave the body via renal or hepatic ways. If liver and/or kidneys can not truely filter them, this catabolic waste may resolve in blood plasm and enter to systemic blood circulation. Lungs try to filter and exhale them via breath. They may have a bad odor. This causes bad breath.

Type-5 halitosis is psychologic.

Source: viewtopic.php?t=2814
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

I have developed this classification and made minor changes such as airway, neurologic or subjective terms are included.

Ful text here:
http://aydinmur.com/halitosis-definitio ... cation.pdf

-M
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic