Your Email Address:

First Name:

I don't really believe them..

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
somethinstinks
Advanced

I don't really believe them..

Post by somethinstinks »

So I joined a TMAU chatroom a few months back and have met up with a couple of the members (was a lot easier than trying to meet with anyone on here, which is virtually impossible). Of the 2 individuals one is convinced he has a body odor problem (as opposed to halitosis) and the other isn't really sure what his problem is (though at least at one point thought it was halitosis). I don't smell anything on either of them and they say they don't smell anything on me (the 2nd one has told me numerous times that he has never smelled an odor on me).

So I decided to post a paid ad looking for someone who was "brutally honest" to evaulate and give feedback on an unnamed "problem" we had. I, along with the second guy from the TMAU room, met up with 2 responders, letting them know what our issue was. Both said they didn't smell anything on us... One guy even even texted me back a couple of times asking me for an update and insisting he was 100% honest with no reason to lie (when I met up with him I let him know I thought I had halitosis so he said that maybe that was my problem and that I should get my cavities checked and try lemon juice... which I thought might be a hint that he did smell an odor..but again he insists that he did not have a strong odor).

Confusing... Sorry for the long post, but any thoughts?

sopo
Advanced

Post by sopo »

I have noticed this too...when Im in house even if i get rreally close and speak on mom's face she never smells anything even if I don't feel my mouth is fresh....its the same case with some of my close friends they don't give any reaction like others do...I feel that when we are stressed and nervous in public it triggers something which elevates our bad breath....some people are more tolerant towards foul smells especially guys. May be we find only those few kind of people comfortable being with and some of them end up being our friends
NC29

Post by NC29 »

There may be an element of acclimatisation. So your family who have spent the longest with you (or partner) may have 'gotten used to it' and thus no longer detect it, rather much like yourself.
Also with regards to close friends, they may not detect anything through 'selection process'. Whereby i mean those who dont detect anything ARE your friends because they cant detect anything. And those that CAN detect it are not your close friends.

Its abit like going to a star wars convetion and concluding that everyone in the world must like star wars...
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

i guess youre talking to sopo, but I don't know any of the people i mentioned lol. The first 2 guys I met through the TMAU chat and then met the 2 other people after offeting to pay them for their brutal honesty
Atrial
Advanced

Post by Atrial »

Somethingstinks i think the guys you hired were not telling the truth.
Try again with 2 new guys if they say same thing maybe you don't smell.
sopo
Advanced

Post by sopo »

NC29 u are absolutely right with your theory....there are people who don't mind or not very sensitive to smell.I only mingle with the those kind of peoples. Any one who shows discomfort or gives reactions I always stay away from them... sometimes I act like I don't care ... sometimes dumb..sometimes rude. So that they stay away from me. I really don't want them to. Know that I'm suffering from constant bad breath.
I never speak to colleagues who sit close to me ... Avoid sitting next to people who I know in the bus by ignoring them....Sometimes I feel really sad for the things that I have done, have no choice other than being this guy who I never wanted to be, just to survive in the society with this horrible disease
NC29

Post by NC29 »

to the OP, maybe if you're still not sure you (i guess we all) should take the brave step and asking those in whom we see making a reaction rather than random people off the net.

I.e. if that is the only way you are currently detecting it then it makes sense to ask those people who appear to react. However probably majority will fib only because i make the gross presumtion that in Western society we were brought up to not make others feel bad etc...
Atrial
Advanced

Post by Atrial »

To those saying that family members get used to the smell that is just wrong.
It's not physically possible to get used to smell that is not constant unless you're breathing on their face 24/7 it's not possible.
NC29

Post by NC29 »

Re: Atrial.

I know i hate to reference wiki, but here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory_fatigue
Atrial
Advanced

Post by Atrial »

NC29 wrote:Re: Atrial.

I know i hate to reference wiki, but here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory_fatigue

Read my post again.

The article you posted is saying what I posted why are some people so easily confused in this forum.

The link is referring to something that happens to all of us everyday
For example go to mcdonalds and you can smell the food when you enter but after a while you can't smell it anymore BUT once you leave mcdonalds and breath fresh air you're able to smell again if you go back to same mcdonalds
Last edited by Atrial on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

NC29 wrote:to the OP, maybe if you're still not sure you (i guess we all) should take the brave step and asking those in whom we see making a reaction rather than random people off the net.

I.e. if that is the only way you are currently detecting it then it makes sense to ask those people who appear to react. However probably majority will fib only because i make the gross presumtion that in Western society we were brought up to not make others feel bad etc...
true

or maybe try this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oErUYZgjxM
StinkBomb

Post by StinkBomb »

somethinstinks, still want to meet in NYC? and anyone else?

Check your PM
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

Stinkbomb; I actually will be visiting New York next week: March 5 - 8. Please do let me know if you guys arrange a meetup, thanks!
2012: Wisdoms remov
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

Everybody always smells my breath. I would love for once in my life for someone to be able to stand there, take a whiff of my breath and do something other than react violently.
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

StillHoping wrote:Stinkbomb; I actually will be visiting New York next week: March 5 - 8. Please do let me know if you guys arrange a meetup, thanks!
Just spoke to Stinkbomb and we can set something up for next week. Does Sunday the 6th work for you?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic