Your Email Address:

First Name:

Fermented food gives me bad breath

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Lavender
Fermented food gives me bad breath

Post by Lavender »

Help!!!! I had some fermented food last evening and today my breath is stinking. I have been controlling my bad breath to some extent by gluten-free vegan diet.... and now I am back to square one. ](*,)

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

What will you give me if I tell you how to deal with this? :roll:

What sort of foods were you eating? I'm on a low carb diet, and I've seen many positive effects, but I'm not entirely sure why because I'm also eliminating lots of other things with the diet I'm on, such as gluten. I'm also eating lots of food high in choline (fish & eggs) and yet my breath has never been better, so I think I can rule out TMAU for certain too.
Sickandtired
Junior

Post by Sickandtired »

halitosisux wrote: so I think I can rule out TMAU for certain too.
Haven't you got rid of your bb after you pulled your wisdom teeth out?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Yes, mostly. About 90% rid of it, I estimate, based on reliability of feedback, my own tests, and the taste in my mouth. I don't think I'll ever get rid of the fear though (the halitophobia - the worry that no matter what my breath might be like, that it might have some amount of bad to it). PND has always been a problem for me, and I have always had the feeling that PND exacerbates or causes BB. I've recently started a low carb diet and noticed my PND has thinned out a lot - though I've no idea why. It has also improved the taste in my mouth.
Lavender
Post by Lavender »

Well, halitosisux, I might be a newbie on this website but I consider myself a veteran when it comes to halitosis. I have been fighting this dreadful condition for last 20 years. I changed my diet to gluten free vegan about 5 years back. I was bb free for upto 1 year. More recently I visited a gastroentrologist and she put me on antibiotics and probiotics. I was bb free for about 2 months until I had this particular food (fermented lentil).

I can give you tips if u share ur ideas.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, was being light-hearted about the fact it was very recently that you ate this particular fermented product and hadn't even tried waiting for a while to see if things improved before saying "help!!!!". I thought the answer was so obvious so I couldn't resist saying it the way I did. Well, I hope things have gone back to normal by now.

I've been sharing my ideas on here since I joined in 2008.. Every single idea that has ever come into my head, even things that don't relate to my own particular condition or situation, to the annoyance of many I'm sure. I've recently posted in another thread about my reduced (almost completely carb-free) diet in another thread. Hardly got a single reply. But atm that's what I'm doing, along with a battle against the microbial activity in mouth. I think our bodies just happen to have a weakness against microbial activity (or their by-products) in general, that "normal" people don't happen to have. So it's a battle against the microbial populations of the whole body, as it's all connected. Some of us have it worse than others. I consider myself one of the lucky ones, even though I've allowed it to completely ruin my life.
Harry_2K
Junior

Post by Harry_2K »

FOODS THAT CONTAIN HISTAMINE OR CAUSE THE BODY TO
RELEASE HISTAMINE, INCLUDING FERMENTED FOODS
Histamine is a natural substance produced by the body and is also present in many foods. It is released by the body during times of stress and allergy.

What is Histamine?

In an allergic response, an allergen stimulates the release of antibodies, which attach themselves to mast cells. When histamine is released from the mast cells it may cause one or more of the following symptoms:

Eyes to itch, burn, or become watery
Nose to itch, sneeze, and produce more mucus
Skin to itch, develop rashes or hives
Sinuses to become congested and cause headaches
Lungs to wheeze or have spasms
Stomach to experience cramps and diarrhea
Histamine is a vasoactive amine which causes dilatation of the blood vessels (flushing, rash, itching) and increased mucus production (runny nose, productive cough), and bronchoconstriction (wheezing, cough). Because histamine is contained in almost all body tissues, especially the lungs, nose, sinuses, skin, intestinal mucosa and certain blood cells (mast cells, basophils), it is able to cause a wide variety of symptoms.

The release of histamine can be caused by almost any allergen. Examples include inhalant allergens (ragweed pollen, dust mite, eat dander), drugs (penicillin, sulfa, aspirin), stinging insect venoms, and foods (egg, wheat, milk, fish, etc).

Histamine in Foods

There are many foods that contain histamine or cause the body to release histamine when ingested. These types of reactions are food intolerances, and are different from food allergy in that the immune system is not involved in the reaction. The symptoms, however, can be the same as a food allergy.

Foods that contain the chemical tyramine can trigger headaches. Foods that may have large amounts of tyramine include: fish, chocolate, alcoholic beverages, cheese, soy sauce, sauerkraut and processed meat.

Fermented foods may cause allergy symptoms because they are either rich in histamine or because yeast or mold is involved in the fermentation process.

Histamine-Rich Foods (including fermented foods):

Alcoholic beverages, especially beer and wine.
Anchovies
Avocados
Cheeses, especially aged or fermented cheese, such as parmesan, blue and Roquefort.
Cider and home-made root beer.
Dried fruits such as apricots, dates, prunes, figs and raisins (you may be able to eat these fruits - without reaction - if the fruit is thoroughly washed).
Eggplant
Fermented foods, such as pickled or smoked meats, sauerkraut, etc.
Mackerel
Mushrooms
Processed meats - sausage, hot dogs, salami, etc.
Sardines
Smoked fish - herring, sardines, etc.
Sour cream, sour milk, buttermilk, yogurt - especially if not fresh.
Soured breads, such as pumpernickel, coffee cakes and other foods made with large amounts of yeast.
Spinach, tomatoes
Vinegar or vinegar-containing foods, such as mayonnaise, salad dressing, ketchup, chili sauce, pickles, pickled beets, relishes, olives.
Yogurt
Histamine-Releasing Foods:

Alcohol
Bananas
Chocolate
Eggs
Fish
Milk
Papayas
Pineapple
Shellfish
Strawberries
Tomatoes
Histamine or Scombroid Poisoning;

At times the ingestion of high concentrations of histamine may lead to histamine or scombroid poisoning. Scombroid poisoning most often occurs with the spoilage of certain fish such as: tuna, mackerel, bluefish, mahi-mahi and herring.
Lavender
Post by Lavender »

Ok, I tried apple cider vinegar 2tbsp twice daily and it works wonderfully. No Bad breath....as long as I drink acv.
sopo
Advanced

Post by sopo »

Lavender try baking soda test to determine low stomach acid. If u are feeling good after consuming acv you might be having low stomach acid
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

sopo wrote:Lavender try baking soda test to determine low stomach acid. If u are feeling good after consuming acv you might be having low stomach acid
im going to try this when i get the chance. What is the correlation between stomach acid and odor?
sopo
Advanced

Post by sopo »

Stomach acid sterilizes the food you consume by killing most of the pathogens, bacteria, yeast etc.
Thus preventing it's growth
Some of the digestive enzymes are secreted only in the presence of stomach acids.
So it basically prevents the food from rotting inside due to lack of enzymes which is needed for proper digestion.
The undigested food will get fermented ( which is the main source of food for yest) and the toxins will be released in the blood stream, which is exaled through lungs. It may also lead to SIBO
Lavender
Post by Lavender »

Sopo, You r very right. I have been suffering from BB for 20+ years and did not know the cure was so simple. Of course, I went gluten, dairy free about 5 years back and became a vegetarian. And not to forget I take antifungal medication every night.
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Re: Fermented food gives me bad breath

Post by StillHoping »

Hi Lavender, are you still BB free?
2012: Wisdoms remov
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
mindspace
Advanced

Post by mindspace »

Hi All. I hope that many people will read this.If the reason for bad breath are not tooth or gums the main cause is candida,bad bacteria and parasites and that's all in the gut.PND,tonsil stones,sinusitis,sore throat,reflux,gasthritis,SIBO,IBS,leaky gut etc are related to candida or parasites.Read about it.That's why you know candida diet helps.It's strict diet-you have to avoid all sugar,fruits,alcohol,processed foods,junk foods,low carbs and diary.And stop the use of antibiotics-that leads to systemic candida overgrowth.You need high dose of priobiotics,healthy food and supplements-for how long I don't know but many people from this forum moved to PATM forum because they had bad reactions from other people-rub noses,itchiness,sneezing,coughing etc.If you have this reactions go to PATM forum because the situation is serious.Colon cleanse better the situation.So believe me it's not that easy to remove candida from our bodies.
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

mindspace wrote:Hi All. I hope that many people will read this.If the reason for bad breath are not tooth or gums the main cause is candida,bad bacteria and parasites and that's all in the gut.PND,tonsil stones,sinusitis,sore throat,reflux,gasthritis,SIBO,IBS,leaky gut etc are related to candida or parasites.Read about it.That's why you know candida diet helps.It's strict diet-you have to avoid all sugar,fruits,alcohol,processed foods,junk foods,low carbs and diary.And stop the use of antibiotics-that leads to systemic candida overgrowth.You need high dose of priobiotics,healthy food and supplements-for how long I don't know but many people from this forum moved to PATM forum because they had bad reactions from other people-rub noses,itchiness,sneezing,coughing etc.If you have this reactions go to PATM forum because the situation is serious.Colon cleanse better the situation.So believe me it's not that easy to remove candida from our bodies.
Did the candida diet cure your bb?
2012: Wisdoms remov
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic