Your Email Address:

First Name:

Periogen Tartar Dissolving Rinse.

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
MrChips
Advanced

Periogen Tartar Dissolving Rinse.

Post by MrChips »

Iv been doing some research on 'tartar' removal. My breath has greatly improved since using interdental brushes, but im having trouble removing tartar from along the gumline ](*,)
My research found me a product called Periogen. It apparently dissolves tartar. The reviews look promising. Expensive though at £30 a jar on Amazon.
Im going to order it.
Has anyone else tried Periogen?

FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Can a dentist do a cleaning on you and remove all this?

It seems strange to have tartar build up still after a good oral hygiene regiment.

I'd take the plunge and try the stuff, whats more value? Your happiness or a few quid?

That's the question I'm asking myself since I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and getting all 4 wisdom teeth out privately.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
MrChips
Advanced

Post by MrChips »

I got my wisdom teeth removed last year and it made no difference. I went private. Was worth the attempt tho.

Yes a dentist could remove it... But they dont because they are useless. Your best off doing it yourself.
Im going to try this Periogen. Its worth it if it works \:D/
MrChips
Advanced

Post by MrChips »

If your oral hygiene was poor back years ago, then u will probs have tartar. Once the plaque has mineralised no brushing or flossing wil remove it. Vigorous interdental brushing will remove some but not all of the tartar.
I will try Periogen and report back
sadmum
Advanced

Re: Periogen Tartar Dissolving Rinse.

Post by sadmum »

MrChips wrote:Iv been doing some research on 'tartar' removal. My breath has greatly improved since using interdental brushes, but im having trouble removing tartar from along the gumline ]
Has anyone else tried Periogen?
I have a much cheaper solution for you that will definitely work. I use a dental pick (stainless Steele) that I purchased from ebay. I've been using it for the past 4 months and it works like magic! Certainly beats flossing which I can't stand, i find it too strenuous. Just make sure to be gentle when using the pick as not to scratch or cut your gums.

FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

My dentist was very impressed with my gums, he seemed surprised, and this was the first time i'd ever seen him. (I've been to other dentists also).

Did your odor also come through your nose?

I did have poor dental hygiene I'll admit out of pure laziness.

I think a dentist would notice if I had tartar.

I have a dentist appt tomorrow so I'll ask.

Ii used to have white all at the top of my teeth that I could scrape off with my finger, it never stunk. But now my oral hygiene is excellent I don't get that anymore.

It just seems my BB can't possibly come from gums as they're nice and pink and do not bleed anymore when I brush them.

I have 2 unerupted upper wisdom teeth, one fully erupted and one half erupted that is coming sidewards although it doesn't cause pain or discomfort.

And another question, is this tartar visible to you? And how much did it cost to remove all 4 teeth privately? I've been quoted at £1895 with bupa plus £250 consultant fee and I'm betting more x-rays etc. Of course if it comes to it I WILL get it done. I'd rather be burned financially than burned as the guy that smells like ass. lol
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
MrChips
Advanced

Post by MrChips »

Sadmum: I do have a steel pick (scaler) had it a while but never used it. I will try it tonight
Fedup: That white you used to have sounds like plaque. I used to have the same when i was young. That plaque mineralizes to tartar. Most of it is invisible to the eye.
Yeah i had nasal odour. My worst offending teeth were right under my nose.
My wisdom tooth removal cost about £80 a tooth private. If you have unerupted teeth tho it might cost, im not sure

Fedup have you tried the interdental brushes?
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

I tried them ages ago as my dentist at the time recommended that and that was just after she did a thorough cleaning of my teeth. She managed to get them brushes between my teeth, my teeth never felt so smooth and they still do feel smooth. She was very pleased with my gums the second time I went back and suggested no further treatment.

I tried myself but I couldn't get them between my teeth without struggling.

I'm gonna see what the dentist says tomorrow. This time I got evidence of CT scans and endoscopy reports to show I'm not just being a hypochondriac.

I just cannot picture horrific room filling nasal odor being down to tarar, it seems too easy. My breath is bad but omg if I nose breathe I get the usual reactions.

And a few weeks ago I had drank 2 cups of coffee in the morning. Then I flossed, scraped brushed teeth etc.

The stench at work was disgusting, I could actually smell my own breath it was just PURE CRAP, I actually couldn't believe it. I could hear people "has someone shit themselves?" "who's farted" That was the worst day ever that I could smell my breath.

Maybe I have deep gum bacteria that I irritated with coffee and flossing?
I don't know, why would my gums be pink and healthy also with dentists certification that they're "very good".
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

FedUp,

"...why would my gums be pink and healthy also with dentists certification that they're "very good"."

Probably because your bad breath has nothing to do with your teeth and gums.

Since you mention that you have nasal odor which is pretty bad, it is likely that the problem is in your sinuses, which would cause post nasal drip, which in turn deposits a lot of mucus in your throat producing a bacteria factory. The exhaled air passes through that portion of your mucus-coated throat and picks up the odor from anaerobic bacteria. If that is the problem, nothing you do in your mouth will change that.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Phantasist wrote:FedUp,

"...why would my gums be pink and healthy also with dentists certification that they're "very good"."

Probably because your bad breath has nothing to do with your teeth and gums.

Since you mention that you have nasal odor which is pretty bad, it is likely that the problem is in your sinuses, which would cause post nasal drip, which in turn deposits a lot of mucus in your throat producing a bacteria factory. The exhaled air passes through that portion of your mucus-coated throat and picks up the odor from anaerobic bacteria. If that is the problem, nothing you do in your mouth will change that.
Well I had a CT scan which came up all clear, she did there mucosal thickening in the left sinus which could be related to my teeth.

I do have PND but it's hard to say this is the cause of BB, I know a few people who have PND but no halitosis.

the member "Cured" solved his by removing all 4 wisdom teeth. I'm really slowing running into a wall, there's naive me thinking I'd be rid of this problem this year........... oh halitosis you cunt.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

I went to the dentist two weeks ago and that is when I realized they dont clean under gums or in between teeth. I told my heigenist that I stilll need more cleaning after she was done, becasue I could usually suck my tongue inbetween my front teeth if they were clean efficiently. Sure enough she scraped some more and there was more to come off. she didnt even use the elctrical scaler and I felt only a small amount fresher than when I got there. Im tired of wasting time with people that think they can clean your teeth in 5 minutes. I even told her a area where I thought there was some plaque build up and I never even felt the scaler on that area. This is why my mouth is grimy and no signs of cleaning within a month of getting a cleaning.
hope4now
Master
Post by hope4now »

I ordered some periogen and a pik-pocket tip for my waterpik. I think my gums are a major source of bb since the floss starts to smell if I skip even one day of waterpiking. This product does contain fluoride (.04%), which I hope isn't a problem since I'm sensitive to fluoride rinses.

Another thing I noticed recently. I was trying NAC (n-acetylcysteine) since it is supposed to thin mucus and clear out the sinuses. But I noticed my gums started to smell more (when flossing), especially around one of the lower molars. When I quit the NAC, the smell went away.

Not sure why it would have that effect, unless it was some sort of detox reaction.
hope4now
Master
Post by hope4now »

I did some research on Periogen. The active ingredient that removes tartar is sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP). It's very cheap to buy food grade STPP from ebay. I ordered 1kg for around $15. I mixed a small amount (1/8 tsp or less) in 2 cups of warm salt water and used it in the water pik. It dissolves completely and seems to work just as well without sodium fluoride.

According to the people who make Periogen, STPP needs an ion source to remove tartar. They claim that only sodium fluoride is effective. The chloride ions from sodium chloride are just as effective as sodium fluoride as far as I can tell. My tap water is already fluoridated, so I sure don't need any more.

I'll report back on how effective this formula is over time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic