Your Email Address:

First Name:

ALLERGIES cause bad breath, anyone had any allergy tests?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
noptical
God

ALLERGIES cause bad breath, anyone had any allergy tests?

Post by noptical »

Hi everyone! Been some time since I last been here.

Please read this thread carefully its very important!!!

So, after a lot of research I came to the conclusion that allergies can indirectly cause BB. Things like Post Nasal Drip and Sinusitis are already known to cause bb to many of us and they are very common symptoms of some allergies.
I asked my allergist about my dry mouth and if it can be caused by allergies and he said that it definitely could be an allergic reaction.

I have PND during the day but not all day long. Sometimes it just stops for a while but its usually bad when I go out (which is what led me to have a test for allergies).
Also, after having a Sinus x-ray, result came back with "Mucosal thickening" (looked like dark gray liquid-like substance on the xray). I asked allergist what this can be caused by and he said that it can be caused by allergic reactions (in my case this is the cause for sure) and it takes 1-2 or maybe more years to become bad enough to be a problem. Only solution is a simple surgery which will restore it to normal but if allergies left uncured, it will return after a few years. So he said that best solution would be to fix it with surgery and then have a full allery shot treatment to prevent it from returning.
Anyway, Im just mentioning this because it is the only evidence that shows that there's something wrong with me and Im pretty sure this has something to do with my bad breath since mucosal thickening blocks the sinuses which causes sinusitis (in this case chronic or just frequent sinus infections) which causes bad breath due to bacteria overgrowth and I dont know what else.

Now, before having the allery tests I didnt really believe that I have any allergy because none really bothered me (or so I thought). So while having numerous tests to find the cause of my bb I decided to go to an allergist just for the hell of it.
Turns out, I have 24 different allergies :shock: .
Doc told me although I have a lot of them, they affect me only a little but since they are many there's just a bigger chance for me to be exposed to them (quite logical).

Now the allergy test I had consisted of 3 visits, with 1 or 2 week breaks (dont remember).
1: Doc put lots of allergens all over back and hands and he did something that felt like a needle bite to each of the spots where he put the allergens (is this what they call the "scratch test"?). Then I waited for like 20 minutes for my body to react to the allergens then he recorded them one by one. This was done to see which allergen groups I am allergic to.
2 Now that we knew the groups, we went through the exact same procedure as on visit 1, only this time it was to determine which specific allergens from the groups we discovered on visit 1, I am allergic to.
3 Now my doc ordered a blood test for the 5 allergens I am most allergic to so I went to have a blood sample taken from me.

Treatment
There's no 100% treatment for allergies but there are some methods there are 2 solutions.
1) Taking antihistamines. Antihistamines are meds that suspend the production of histamine which (if i recall correctly from school's biology) is what causes the allergic reaction.
2) Allergy shots. This is a long term treatment and its also a length process. It can take 2-3 years to complete and you need like 4-6 months to see results. Basically, it consists of weekly, bi-weekly or monthly (different for everyone) shots of big quantities of the allergen. This way your body becomes "used" to the particular allergen and becomes immune to it. The procedure is like this: you go to the doc, he gives you the shot(s) and then wait for like 15-20minutes just in case you have allergic shock so he can act immediately (i think he gives you a quick cortisone shot).

Doc also told me that you can have the allergy shot treatment for only up to 3 allergens at a time (more is possible too but in that case you get smaller doses of shots for each allergen because the total dose is split to equal doses depending on the number of allergens). The effect of the treatment can last for 5-10 years but that really depends on the patient.

The test cost me a total of about 275€ (which I got back from my insurance anyway) but I live in Greece so prices will be different in your country.
1) 110€ + 110€ each of the two visits to the allergist
2) 55€ the allergy blood test (11€ for each allergen so it depends on how many allergens your doc will order the blood test for).

The following are the results of my allergy test (note that the group names were in Greek so I translated them to English as good as I could). I wrote them exactly like they are in the result paper the doc gave me. The numbers after the allergen I think designate how much the allergen affect me but Im not sure. I dont know what the asterisk designates but I wrote it anyway.
Allergy test
Basic series of allergen groups
  • Vernal Grass 5/25*
  • Histamine 6/35*
  • Kryosph 7/35**
Vernal Grass Pollen
  • Dactylis glomerata (Cockfoot) 5/30**
  • Lolium perenne (Rye grass) 5/30**
  • Phleum pratense (Timothy grass) 5/30**
  • Triticum (Wheat) 5/25*
Tree Pollen
  • Olea 5/30**
  • Salix alba (Willow white) 5/25**
  • Betula (Birch) 5/25**
Bush Pollen
  • Parietaria Jud (Wall pellitory) 5/25**
  • Plantago lanc (Plantain) 5/25**
  • Taraxacum offic 5/30**
  • Chenopodium alb (Lamb's quarter) 5/25*
Fungi
  • Alternaria tenuis 5/25*
  • Cladosporium herbarum 5/30**
  • Aspergillus fumigatus 5/30**
  • Fusarium moniliforme 5/30*
Plant dust
  • Hay dust 5/25 **
Vegetables and Sea foods
  • Tomato 7/30**
  • Shrimp 6/30**
Flours and Cereals
  • Wheat flour 5/25
  • Corn flour 5/25
  • Rye flour 5/25
Allergy blood test
Allergic tests
Description - Result - Normal values
1. g5 (Lolium Perenne, Rye-Grass) - 0.11 PRU/ml - < 0.35
Category .0, Not detectable

2. m2 (Cladosporium herbarum) - 0.08 PRU/ml - < 0.35

3. w19 (Parientaria officianalis) - 0.13 PRU/ml - < 0.35

4. Olive - 0.10 PRU/ml - < 0.35

Immunological Tests
Description - Result - Normal values
1. IgE - 14 IU/ - < 120 IU/ml

Ok, I posted all the information I have related to allergies and I strongly encourage you to have a full allergy test because it might help you in your quest finding a cure.
As I said before, I thought I didn't have any allergies, but the test came up with 24.

Now if you have had any allergy related test please post which allergens are you allergic, what are your symptoms (as detailed as you can) and what you know about allergies in general so we can collect all info in one thread and this may benefit us all.

Excuse me for any mistakes but I'm writing this post at 5:35am :P I'll correct any mistakes tomorrow morning after I wake up :mrgreen:

noptical
God

Post by noptical »

So I guess noone had any allergy tests? :P
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

Following on from the Sunday Chat, I have made an appointment for an allergy test tomorrow. I will post my allergy test results here when I get them. If any others are interested in this, please post you results here - as it may be that we see some pattern or common food allergies between us.
findthecure

I have also had some tests

Post by findthecure »

I need to read your post carefully to post a proper reply. but since you seem to be keen on hearing from others - i did have the tests, i am allergic to shrimp as well. i am also allergic to some fish and maybe other things. I tried oral as well as nasal anithistamines. the problem is that they really ***k with my mucous - even more thick and dry saliva. some mornings my mouth looked like chalk. so i stopped it. didn't do the injections though. my doctor did say that some people are the "allergic type".

Think clearly about (and research) this : I know that the cause of allergies are not known. There is a theory that allergies are related to a "leaky gut" and hypochlorydia ( lack of acidity). The latter is associated with helicobacter but I am not sure about what causes what. I believe that all these things are related. The medical needs someone with these problems who is also analytical and creative. I don't have a medical background :).

My basic point is that allergies and BB could both be symptoms of some other problem and lessening the symptoms of the allergies may not alleviate BB. Anyway, it is worth a shot. keep us posted.
Last edited by findthecure on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
findthecure

Post by findthecure »

I had these tests and took the anithistamines four years ago. I don't have a blocked nose problem now. Something that might help : Take luke warm water and mix in a pinch of salt. wash your hands carefully befoe doing this. pour some water into your palm and breath it into your nostril and let it come out of your mouth. do it for both nostrils. you could also try a "neti pot" google it. I think that your hand is just as, if not more, effective. it felt like it worked a bit sometimes and not others. but definitely not a cure. also the salt may clean your tongue - but the effects are very temporary. i'm busy - but more later.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

nasal irrigation is a good practice. I do it 2-3 times a week, but I haven't noticed much relief from it. As with everything, it seems effective for a hour or so, but after you eat...back to normal.
Crepusculo

Post by Crepusculo »

Well like I said before, allergies are the reason i have/had bad breath. It has been a week and i'm still not sure if the Proflox did the work. I'm still on antihistaminiques but i don't know if that helps with the bb too.
noptical
God

Post by noptical »

Crepusculo wrote:Well like I said before, allergies are the reason i have/had bad breath. It has been a week and i'm still not sure if the Proflox did the work. I'm still on antihistaminiques but i don't know if that helps with the bb too.
Antihistamines didnt help me with bb at all, not even with the allergies. Nor did the cortisone shots. Which makes me think my bb doesnt have to do with the allergies but the damage allergies caused to me (mucosal thickening that is)
tinkerbell000
Total Newbie

Post by tinkerbell000 »

Hi, I have somethign called gastroparesis which is basically delayed stomach emptying. None of the meds worked so i am thinking that i might be allergic to something i am eating. So i am having an food allergy test this Saturday. I will see what comes of it.
Crepusculo

Post by Crepusculo »

noptical wrote:
Crepusculo wrote:Well like I said before, allergies are the reason i have/had bad breath. It has been a week and i'm still not sure if the Proflox did the work. I'm still on antihistaminiques but i don't know if that helps with the bb too.
Antihistamines didnt help me with bb at all, not even with the allergies. Nor did the cortisone shots. Which makes me think my bb doesnt have to do with the allergies but the damage allergies caused to me (mucosal thickening that is)
I don't know if the antihistamines do something about the bad breath, but the Proflox thing I took definitely did. So if you have allergies and your bb is related to that, like with me, then maybe you should give that a try. The antihistamines help with my sinus, to clear my nose and ears, for instance.
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

I had my appointment today and already have results due to the method used by the practicioner. He used a 'vegatest' (see here -> http://www.ifmed.com.au/vega_expert.htm ) - such a test i never knew existed. I had given him examples of stuff that made my breath much much worse - and when tested, these went off the scale. ie. coffee and alcohol.

His conclusions were that I have a yeast allergy. Alcohol is also and issue but mainly due to it containing yeast. To a lesser extent, high sugar content foods are not good for my system. Also eggs (and foods containing eggs are to be avoided).

Its going to be tough but I really really want to give this a chance.
Incidentally, I told him straight out what the problem was - and he said he had two people on the books with the same complaint. I asked him did he really think they had bb -and he said one definitely did - whilst the other didnt (but was suffering just the same).

1. Sugar, and sugar containing foods. This includes all quick acting carbohydrates, honey, maple sugar and date sugar.
2. Yeast breads and pastries. All breads, rolls, and pastries contain bakers yeast.
3. Alcoholic beverages.
4. Sauces and vinegar containing foods. Freshly squeezed lemon juice may be used as a substitute for vinegar in salad dressings, prepared with unprocessed vegetable oil.
5. Processed and smoked meats. Pickled and smoked meats and fish including sausages, hot dogs, corned beef.
6. Dried and sweetened fruits. Raisins, apricots, dates , prunes, figs, pineapple.
7. Left-overs. Mould growing on left-over food unless it is properly refrigrerated, freezing is better.
8. Fruit juices - unless freshly prepared.
9. Coffee & tea of all types. These often contain mould.
10. Melons
11. Edible fungi.
12. Cheeses
13. Vitamins and minerals - unless labeled 'Yeast and sugar free'.
14. Packaged and processed food. Canned, bottled, boxed and other processed and packaged foods usually contain yeast or refined sugar products.
15. Nuts. Peanuts and peanut products usually contain mould.[/url]
noptical
God

Post by noptical »

baguio wrote:...
So he basically tested you for foods that you cant tolerate and not allergies? Nothing about pollen and other such allergies? Did he mention rhinitis?
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

noptical wrote:
So he basically tested you for foods that you cant tolerate and not allergies? Nothing about pollen and other such allergies? Did he mention rhinitis?
Hes working on the basis that its a digestive problem - and I've always strongly believed that this is the most likely source. Yes he tested for food intolerances ...intoleranct/allergic...same difference.
He initially did some checks on general health. And I forgot to mention that I tested poorly for enzymes.
austuser
Sheriff

Post by austuser »

I'd really like to see the outcome of this diet, as hard as it will be for you. I too suspect candida as being my problem, even though the Nystatin anti-fungal treatment i took didnt help me.

The reading i've done however suggests that if the yeast infection is more severe then a simple drug treatment wont help, rather a treatment with a strict anti-yeast diet combined is necessary.

I know how limiting a diet like this can be, as I did a gluten free diet for 2 months. During that time my digestive problems dissapeared and have since not come back. If my problem were yeast related, this makes sense as the gluten free diet is pretty much yeast free as well, but i was still eating refined sugars.

Did he say that this diet should be a life-long thing, or just until the symptoms subside...???
noptical
God

Post by noptical »

baguio wrote:
noptical wrote:
Hes working on the basis that its a digestive problem - and I've always strongly believed that this is the most likely source. Yes he tested for food intolerances ...intoleranct/allergic...same difference.
He initially did some checks on general health. And I forgot to mention that I tested poorly for enzymes.
No its not the same thing at all. Food intolerance has to do with your digestive system being intolerant to certain types of foods. An Allergy on the other hand is an autoimmune disease that causes your immune system to attack certain organisms (the allergens) like it would do with pathogenic organisms, that is, its a false activation of the immune system that shouldnt happen. This causes an increased mucus production and if you have allergic rhinitis many other things like the inflamation of the mucosals and chronic sinusitis (<-- This one just SCREAMS "bad breath").
I would suggest you have a normal allergy test because what that doc did to you is completely irrelevant to allergies ;)
Who knows, maybe if you're lucky you will have only a couple serious allergies so this way you can have a successful allergy shot treatment (unlike me because I have 24 allergies and I can only do the treatment for 3 allergens).
Last edited by noptical on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic