Your Email Address:

First Name:

please, i need some ideas

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

That settles it, I'm totally getting one of those interdental poking stick electric battery vibrator things! No, just kidding. I must have walked by those things a million times whilst looking for floss and never even noticed them. They are supposedly even better than floss. Next time I go to the pharmacy, I'll have to check them out. Just for um you know um 'research purposes' of course... :oops:

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

They are big things, I hope you'll be able to get it in.. :oops:
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

Well, I guess I'll just have to try 'extra' hard then, won't I? ;)
danger
Master

Post by danger »

i still have not properly got the hang of flossing, i am not going to try again until after seeing the dentist/hygienest on monday. i still hope i will be able to use an interdental brush or dental picks as an effective alternative

but i would like an opinion on a couple of things

1- since i have been trying to floss in the last couple of days, i have been scraping more yellowish and smelly gunk off my tongue than normal. is that a positive that my bad breath is coming from the shit between my teeth? like when i have tried to floss i removed bits of shit from my teeth but just transferred into my mouth without really noticing?

2- would a dentist or hygienest be able to thoroughly floss all my teeth for me? to get every bit of shit which might be causing my bad breath out between my teeth?
because even if i do learn to floss, i am sure there are bits that i would not be able to get out myself(think about it, i have probably have years worth of rotten food between my teeth due to never flossing before thursday) and then hopefully after that is done, i can start from scratch flossing myself
Nolaughingmatter
Total Newbie

I know exactly how you feel but don't do anything desperate

Post by Nolaughingmatter »

I am in my 40s and I believe that i have had this problem my whole life and didn't really know it because I think back to childhood and remember my sister telling me one day at school "oooh your breath smells like doo doo"
and then in my twenties, I remember a guy saying the word halitosis and I asked him what it meant. We didn't last but a few dates. Anyway..I do remember always having to chew gum because I just felt a sick taste in my mouth. I never really had a problem with guys because (I think my looks made up for it and most of them just cared about sex) but the older I get it seems to get worse. I find myself dreading when I have to talk to people and especially when people come up really close to talk to me ( I hate close talkers)
When I see tv shows or commericals where a couple is engaged in a kiss or dancing and talking in eachother's face, I get jealous, wishing I could be like that. This problem really does affect every relationship that you have. I find myself dreading everyday life situations because of this. Even one night, my husband woke me out of my sleep to tell me to turn over because my breath was really bad that night. I don't want to have sex anymore because face it...who wants to have sex with someone who won't speak or kiss..you know what I'm saying if you have this problem too. Anyway, my point is, it does make your life feel hopeless but there are alot worse things out there that you could have, even though this seems like the worst. I understand
danger
Master

Post by danger »

halitosisux, i have just read a bit about your story in the my story section which i have just posted in

i would like your opinion if you have the time, thanks
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

hey, i read your other posts on this and im sure if you have been reading up as u say you have you'll be able to conclude for yourself the need to rule out your wisdom teeth as very likely possible cause of your BB from your other descriptions. Mention this to your dentist/hygienist when u go. If you notice smells coming from any gum when you rub them with a finger then you *M-U-S-T* deal with that before doing anything else. A wisom tooth is supposed to look like the rest of your teeth, but generally because they come out last they dont always have the room they need. And any tooth which isnt fully erupted can be a potential problem regarding bacteria.

Regarding flossing, its quite normal for food and trapped debris to smell between the teeth. Its not generally a sign that there's any problem with a particular tooth that smells when you floss it, but it can be. Just follow your dentist/hygienist's recommendations. If lack of flossing has caused some gingivitis between your teeth then you'll soon reverse that by flossing. Hydro-irrigation might be worth trying too (water-pik etc).
danger
Master

Post by danger »

halitosisux wrote:hey, i read your other posts on this and im sure if you have been reading up as u say you have you'll be able to conclude for yourself the need to rule out your wisdom teeth as very likely possible cause of your BB from your other descriptions. Mention this to your dentist/hygienist when u go. If you notice smells coming from any gum when you rub them with a finger then you *M-U-S-T* deal with that before doing anything else. A wisom tooth is supposed to look like the rest of your teeth, but generally because they come out last they dont always have the room they need. And any tooth which isnt fully erupted can be a potential problem regarding bacteria.

Regarding flossing, its quite normal for food and trapped debris to smell between the teeth. Its not generally a sign that there's any problem with a particular tooth that smells when you floss it, but it can be. Just follow your dentist/hygienist's recommendations. If lack of flossing has caused some gingivitis between your teeth then you'll soon reverse that by flossing. Hydro-irrigation might be worth trying too (water-pik etc).
thanks for the advice sux

the thing is, when i read about flossing it says you should floss behind your wisdom teeth as well, i can manage that with my top 2 but the bottom 2, especially the left one, it is impossible to get behind. it is like they are jammed into my jaw

also, when you say you had a smelly tongue as well

was it all over your tongue? at the back as well? because my smell only comes from the middle third?

and when you scraped it, did you scrape a load of gunk off?, how long after you scraped your tongue did it become smelly again?

and was the gunk you scraped off your tongue smellier than the smell you got from your wisdom tooth alone?
because even after i get a stronger smell from the bottom 2 wisdom teeth than my other teeth, the gunk i scrape off my tongue(especially in the morning) is still probably smellier than the smell i get from wisdom teeth

when you used to have a meal for instance, did your taste in your mouth improve? after i have had a meal my taste in my mouth and my bad breath seems to go for a about 45 minutes/1 hour. the only taste in my mouth then is the meal i have had

sorry for the long reply sux, but i would like to get as much info as possible before i see my dentists/hygienest tomorrow
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

hey danger,
If you give me an email address I'll send you the photo of what my tooth looked like - that's exactly how mine was, lower tooth jammed into the back almost half sunken into the rear tissues back there. If someone can tell me how to paste photos in the forum i'll put it up in here.

I also have another bottom wisdom tooth still in, but its not giving me any problems at all - its horizontally impacted and completely below the gum, but anyone with this (and BB) should have them out because it can be deceptive and you think its all sealed off but it isnt because its peeling away the gum with the tooth next to it if u know what i mean there, and it allows small amounts of oral matter to get in and out and god knows what happen underneith.

My tongue generally smelled VERY badly all over, but it seemed to build up at the rear and gradually spread to the whole tongue from movement and saliva etc - and now NOTHING, only sometimes at the very far back if I prod it with a finger when I wake up but for the most part its completely different to how it used to be.

Your description there with the meal situation was EXACTLY like mine. When I'd eat it was the only time I became a normal human being. The act of eating would wash my mouth out and depending on how bad it was beforehand and what I'd just eaten, the smell (and taste) of what I'd eaten would wear off and shiteness would start building up between 15 and 60 minutes later.

I dont know if you have or ever had tonsil stones but the smell is similar to that. The gunk between the teeth when flossing is also very similar. The odour on my tongue, it was all the same thing, but mildly different for obvious microbial reasons.

Anyway, good luck tomorrow, I hope u read this in time before your appt.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

halitosisux wrote:hey danger,
If you give me an email address I'll send you the photo of what my tooth looked like - that's exactly how mine was, lower tooth jammed into the back almost half sunken into the rear tissues back there. If someone can tell me how to paste photos in the forum i'll put it up in here.

I also have another bottom wisdom tooth still in, but its not giving me any problems at all - its horizontally impacted and completely below the gum, but anyone with this (and BB) should have them out because it can be deceptive and you think its all sealed off but it isnt because its peeling away the gum with the tooth next to it if u know what i mean there, and it allows small amounts of oral matter to get in and out and god knows what happen underneith.

My tongue generally smelled VERY badly all over, but it seemed to build up at the rear and gradually spread to the whole tongue from movement and saliva etc - and now NOTHING, only sometimes at the very far back if I prod it with a finger when I wake up but for the most part its completely different to how it used to be.

Your description there with the meal situation was EXACTLY like mine. When I'd eat it was the only time I became a normal human being. The act of eating would wash my mouth out and depending on how bad it was beforehand and what I'd just eaten, the smell (and taste) of what I'd eaten would wear off and shiteness would start building up between 15 and 60 minutes later.

I dont know if you have or ever had tonsil stones but the smell is similar to that. The gunk between the teeth when flossing is also very similar. The odour on my tongue, it was all the same thing, but mildly different for obvious microbial reasons.

Anyway, good luck tomorrow, I hope u read this in time before your appt.
sux, i really appreciate your advice

so the wisdom tooth that was more visible was the one that was giving you problems?
and the one you have a pic of is the one you got out?
i will pm you an email address and would appreciate the pic
do you have a pic of the one you still have?

since i have been rubbing my wisdom teeth the last couple of days the taste in my mouth is more noticable as well, but i can sense a taste of the smell of my wisdom tooth smell as well as the smell i usually have

when your tongue was smelly, was it yellow?
sometimes in the morning my tongue can be literally yellow and it is always coated in the same area of my tongue

the meal thing is exactly like mine, if i have a kebab with onions, i can sense an onion smell in my mouth instead for a while and i feel cleaner, bizarre eh?

i have never had tonsil stones, my muscus has never smelled, i never really have a stuffy nose, rarely a runny nose. the only thing where i thought my nose might be involved is because i can sense a worse taste in my mouth when i muck around with my nostrils and nose( it has become a bit of a habit)

i will be keeping a close eye on here before my appointment so hopefully no chance of missing things

another interesting thing that i remember is when my brother first told me about my breath was when my brother told my breath stinks and that i have a cavity problem, can a person tell if it is a cavity/dental problem?or something more complicated judging by the smell? it is only since then when i started using listerine and drying my mouth probably that i got a couple of who has farted comments

thanks again sux for all your advice, i will send you a pm
Last edited by danger on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

sux, just one more thing i would like to ask

do you still scrape/brush your tongue every day? or is it always clean whether you do or not?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Damn, I just went into my yahoo email account to find the photo and it says my account has been closed because I havent used it for 4 months. So if anyone has sent me emails too, I havent been able to retrieve them. Danger I have the photos located elsewhere but I'm unable to access that at the moment. If you still need it by tomorrow night i'll be able to send it.

And, yes the visible tooth was the one giving the problems and the one I have the photo(s) of.
No need for a photo of the one I still have because its just gum there.

Sometimes my coating had yellowy colour yes. And I can remember for a time swallowing handfulls of garlic capsules because I wanted to have the worst garlic breath. I could smell it coming out of my lungs, but i was assured my breath smelled of shite still. Sense of smell and taste can be most deceiving.

Maybe the reason you dont have tonsil stones is because you are fortunate that you perhaps dont have deep crypts, or any crypts for that matter.

I dont think its reliable to try gauge from an odour whether its caused by tooth decay or gum problems really. Maybe a trained person can tell though.

Also, no I dont brush or scrape my tongue, and I never used to bother even when I had BB because it was utterly futile in my case. And generally I had far less coating if I left my tongue completely alone.

Good luck tomorrow!
danger
Master

Post by danger »

halitosisux wrote:Damn, I just went into my yahoo email account to find the photo and it says my account has been closed because I havent used it for 4 months. So if anyone has sent me emails too, I havent been able to retrieve them. Danger I have the photos located elsewhere but I'm unable to access that at the moment. If you still need it by tomorrow night i'll be able to send it.

And, yes the visible tooth was the one giving the problems and the one I have the photo(s) of.
No need for a photo of the one I still have because its just gum there.

Sometimes my coating had yellowy colour yes. And I can remember for a time swallowing handfulls of garlic capsules because I wanted to have the worst garlic breath. I could smell it coming out of my lungs, but i was assured my breath smelled of shite still. Sense of smell and taste can be most deceiving.

Maybe the reason you dont have tonsil stones is because you are fortunate that you perhaps dont have deep crypts, or any crypts for that matter.

I dont think its reliable to try gauge from an odour whether its caused by tooth decay or gum problems really. Maybe a trained person can tell though.

Also, no I dont brush or scrape my tongue, and I never used to bother even when I had BB because it was utterly futile in my case. And generally I had far less coating if I left my tongue completely alone.

Good luck tomorrow!
ok, thanks sux
i would appeciate the pic tomorow if you can

and i know what you mean about you have just gum there instead of a tooth
about half my lower wisdom tooth in width has come through on my left side, the other half is still under my gum, do you think they could still take that out?

my right side where i get the biggest smell, the top half of the tooth has come through, but only about 30% of the whole tooth, i just smelt that tooth again not long ago with my finger and it was very bad

interesting that you say you never even bothered scraping your tongue when you had bad breath, i always think me scraping my tongue every morning at least reduces it a bit, although my tongue is never fully clean, it is at its cleanest when i eat and drink i think

i think tomorrow i am only being shown how to floss properly which i have been told is free of charge, i am going to have to book another appointment with my dentist to discuss about my wisdom teeth, my last appointment i had to wait 2 weeks, so if you could send me that pic tomorrow it would still be appreciated

thanks sux
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

You have to speak to your dentist about it really. Age is probably the most important factor because the younger you are the easier the tooth comes out and the faster the healing process generally.

There's no reason a tooth cant come out, unless there are nerves which could get damaged or the jaw bone is at risk of breaking - both of which can be determined by xays I believe.

FYI impacted wisdom teeth are usually removed in hospital under general anaesthetic.

Send u the pic tomorrow then.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

my trip to the hygienest could not have went much better i guess

first, she showed me how to floss using dental floss and interdental sticks. we both decided that me using interdental sticks would be easier to use so we sorted out the sizes we should use. she also said that these interdental sticks do just as good a job as dental floss and it is down to which you find easier. while she was showing me she commented on how lovely my teeth were. ironic eh?

then i told her about my wisdom teeth, in which she has the scan of my teeth from when i went for a check up in march, and what a sight it was. the right side where my wisdom tooth is more visible didnt look that bad on the scan, just alot deeper into the gum, probably about 50% than the one next to it.
the left one though looked horrible, like it was slanted sideways, upside down, the lot. from the scan pic i am shocked how i am in not in alot of physical pain or how that tooth is still in my mouth. my hygienest also could tell that it didnt look very comfortable

i told her about the rotten taste in my mouth all the time and she could understand why that might be. i also exagerrated the pain i was in physically, saying that my lower wisdom teeth areas hurt when i am trying to eat especially, but there is always at least a mild pain in those areas

i also told her how my tongue is always smelly and i am always scraping gunk off my tongue(especially in the morning) and i am sure it was a result of these wisdom teeth, and it was like she was surprised that somebody could be always scraping their tongue. she didnt actually say that, just a presumption i got

and another thing, in the bit where they sell stuff, they sell dental floss, dental stick, special toothbrushes. but they never sold any tongue brushes or tongue scrapers-in a dentist. this made me think that when something is wrong with the tongue it is a result of something else going on, especially if a dentists dont even bother selling tongue scrapers and tongue brushes

anyway, in the end i told her i would like to have both my lower wisdom teeth out, she could understand why and told me to make an appointment with my dentists who would talk things through with me. i have made an appointment next wednesday. another plus is when i asked how much it would be to get them removed she said it would probably be done in a hospital so it should be free, which i was surprised about. i was expacting to pay quite a bit of money for it, not that i would have minded if it got rid of my horrible taste in my mouth and bad breath

so that is the update until i see my dentist next wednesday. my only worry now is that my dentists will say that there is a problem and the wisdom teeth cant be removed
should i exagerrate the pain i am in physically? rather the bad breath and horrible taste, will i be taken more seriously?

well there it is. for the first time in a year i think i might be onto something. the only thing now is that this turns out to be a false dawn and is not the problem and that would shatter me

PLEASE LET THIS BE IT
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic