Your Email Address:

First Name:

Is xylitol working???

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Is xylitol working???

Post by Jimi Stein »

I read about it on intenret 1 year ago and howit can be used to really remove caries from teeth.

Some people got relief from it, is it really working, what do you do with it, eat it, rinse it, use it as toothpaste?

I want to buy it, can somebody advise me where?

meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

halitosisux says it helped keep bio film and grime away and mouth felt fresher. I am also wondering what kind he used. Many new products and gum have it but I want some pure xylitol, although adimir says hes not a fan
aydinmur
God

Re: Is xylitol working???

Post by aydinmur »

Jimi wrote:I read about it on intenret 1 year ago and howit can be used to really remove caries from teeth.

Some people got relief from it, is it really working, what do you do with it, eat it, rinse it, use it as toothpaste?

I want to buy it, can somebody advise me where?
Jimi,
Xylitol does not remove caries.
Its sweetener that is used instead of sugar. Immediately mask halitosis but, may support halitosis after few hours because It contains alcohol.
-Murat Aydın
stressedout
Master

Post by stressedout »

I felt my mouth drier after using xylitol than what i had before, and i think it makes my saliva foamy (dry) - contains alcohol - no wonder.

Murat, why wiki says it helps removing yeast, doesnt make sense if it contains alcohol, it should do the opposite. Is it ok to use it as a sinus wash in your opinion? I dont think i am going to be gargling with it, people might have gotten excited if it masks it so well they think it removes bb. But i understand if for someone it is the only thing that saves them for a bit longer.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

My teeth normally become rough with plaque formation by the end of a day. While I'm using xylitol I dont even find any plaque when I wake up in the morning. It makes my mouth feel fresher when I'm doing any kind of exertion. I'm also finding that its helping prevent my teeth from staining, which I'm susceptible to because I have some crooked teeth from overcrowding.

Here's what wikipedia has to say:-

"A recent report suggests that consumption of xylitol may help control oral infections of Candida yeast; in contrast, galactose, glucose, and sucrose may increase proliferation."

"Recent research confirms a plaque-reducing effect and suggests that the compound, having some chemical properties similar to sucrose, attracts and then "starves" harmful micro-organisms, allowing the mouth to remineralize damaged teeth with less interruption. (However, this same effect also interferes with yeast micro-organisms and others, so xylitol is inappropriate for making yeast-based bread, for instance.)"

"Saliva containing xylitol is more alkaline than saliva which contains other sugar products. After taking xylitol products, the concentration of basic amino acids in saliva may rise. When saliva is alkaline (i.e., its pH is above 7), calcium and phosphate salts in saliva start to precipitate into those parts of enamel where they are lacking."

"Studies have shown that xylitol chewing gum can help prevent ear infections (acute otitis media); the act of chewing and swallowing assists with the disposal of earwax and clearing the middle ear, whilst the presence of xylitol prevents the growth of bacteria in the eustachian tubes (auditory tubes or pharyngotympanic tubes) which connect the nose and ear. When bacteria enter the body they hold on to the tissues by hanging on to a variety of sugar complexes. The open nature of xylitol and its ability to form many different sugar-like structures appears to interfere with the ability of many bacteria to adhere. In a double-blind randomized controlled trial, saline solutions of xylitol significantly reduced the number of nasal coagulase-negative Staphylococcus bacteria. The researchers attributed the benefits to the increased effectiveness of endogenous (naturally present in the body) antimicrobial factors."

So worth a try I think.
Jimi its very widely available and inexpensive. The largest health-food chain in the UK sells it, even the supermarkets - although I have yet to obtain any - I'm using SMINTS which contain 80% xylitol.
brightonguy
Advanced

Post by brightonguy »

Although I take Aydinmur's opinion on this seriously given his obvious expertise, I'm going to continue using it whilst I'm having BB free times (eeek - one whole day and no BB, I'm so excited, this hasn't happened for so long I can't believe it).

I couldn't find xylitol in any shop I went to so I ended up getting it from here:

http://www.bodykind.com/product/1145_15 ... tener-300g
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

brightonguy, how do you use the xylotol, did you put it right on tongue or mix it with water.
halitosisux-same question for you please
brightonguy
Advanced

Post by brightonguy »

I’ve been putting it on fruit, on porridge and in coffee… I cut down on coffee and then read that Prof Ronsenberg had discovered it was anti-microbial

(see:- http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/06/3 ... index.html)

so started drinking it again with coconut milk and now xylitol. Incidentally, if I drink coffee with regular cows milk, omg not to mention a latte which I haven’t touched since January or a moccachino which I accidentally had three weeks ago my breath can go nuts, omg so bad. As mentioned before though, I’m only a sample size of 1!

Off on a tangent, it’s so difficult (but so interesting) to determine what gives you bad breath – LOL state the obvious. Leaving aside the 5 Types of BB (and gosh knows how many sub-types) and, therefore, the fact that what works for one person won’t necessarily work for the next person in terms of treatment and cure… the fact that GOSPEL TRUTHS about BB according to most public and private information sources such as COFFEE and SMOIKING don’t give you bad breath are NOT BASED ON THE ACADEMIC LITERATURE is curious to say the least. Furthermore, the poor state of the academic literature (hmmm I wonder why… little money available for halitosis research because it’s not a medical condition = insufficient research) doesn’t give those afflicted with much to go on in terms of figuring out the efficacy of different treatments and dietary choices. So, AAARRGHH, Rosenberg might not be right but coffee not being bad for your breath is still worth thinking about anyway in case he is… a SHIT LOAD (no pun intended) of different academic studies need to be conducted on particular phenomena in order that some other academic dudes can SYSTEMATICALLY REVIEW or META-ANALYSE those individual studies in order to figure out anything close to ROBUST TYPICAL and ATYPICAL responses. There are sparse academic studies for us to go on, let alone robust meta-analyses and reviews.

I’m venting guys sorry, this whole mouth thing has been driving me crazy!

Peace x
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

Xyli from the Cured with sugar thread uses xylitol like this:
I ordered 1 kg pure Xylitol (about 10 €) and use it like this

After cleaning normally my teeth I take a half teaspoon Xylitol into my mouth - it's a cool feeling and very sweet - and solving it in my mouth and then rinse my mouth with it for 3 to 5 minutes.

Sometimes I also brush the teeth again with this sweet dilution.

In the end I spit it out. - But i's no harm if you swallow it.

I do this for 2 -3 times a day.

viewtopic.php?t=2980

I went ahead and bought some online. This particular brand comes in individual packets. I thought it might be more convenient this way.

http://www.nowfoods.com/Products/Produc ... al%20Foods
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Meow, I'm using mints called SMINTS containing 80% xylitol. I just take one after each time I eat something and after I brush my teeth (2 times a day). The fact they are mints tends to mask the freshness aspects of xylitol, but this isnt why I'm taking it, its just to try to reduce my buildup of plaque, since I do not use any kind of mouthwash and never have.

While I still had BB (and the intense tongue odour that was part of my BB) I used these mints and I remember that they used to help me a lot) but I never really thought why at the time. Now I know it was the xylitol because any other kind of mint did not have the same effect.
BTW I'm also chewing on orbit gum occasionally, which contains xylitol.

My advice to everyone though, is to take the pure xylitol, as caramiamine has detailed. That way you can see the direct effect on your BB.

For some people who suspect their BB comes from the gut, it might have a beneficial effect if you swallow it, but if not then its probably best not to swallow it, because xylitol can have a laxitive effect and that itself can affect your BB so it will likely lead to confusion.
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

stressedout wrote:Murat, why wiki says it helps removing yeast, doesnt make sense if it contains alcohol, it should do the opposite. Is it ok to use it as a sinus wash in your opinion? I dont think i am going to be gargling with it,

No. I dont advise to use it as a sinus wash.
I dont wonder what wiki says. I well know its not antifungal.

After xylitol you feel freshies in your moth for a while. Thats all.
-M
bad day1

Post by bad day1 »

Hi Doctor,

I've tried the xylitol mints that hal mentioned, and I did get some relief. I've also read two othe people here very happy with xylitol.

So I don't know why your quite so sure and so quick to dismiss xylitol. I'm finding it harder now to accept some of your statements.

You also told me that Listerine does not have zinc. I was very very surprised that you did not know that there is a Listerine product with zinc chloride, given that you're into the oral health industry and that Listerine is a global brand. The Listerine with zinc is even available in Ankara, as what I've searched in the web. (For those who are not familiar, Ankara is the capital of the doctor's country Turkey).

You not knowing that is like a softdrink expert not knowing that Coca-Cola has launched a Diet Coke in his country.

Anyway, I still love that you're here doc. I did learn a lot from you, and I still look forward reading your informative posts.
Hooch

Post by Hooch »

I think Aydimur's information on here is invaluable...and am most grateful...but with all due respect he is giving a lot of conflicting information...conflicting himself a lot of the time for example re: halimeters...saying they mean nothing then in another post saying how he got a patients score from 120 to 90 with treatment...why is he using a halimeter if he thinks they are tosh...metals in the mouth...saying they have no bearing then saying a boys ailment was cured when braces were removed...dismissing years of research on XYLITOL...I have been chewing Xylitol gum for years...even though I have bb I have no cavities...my dentist thinks this may be the reason why...plus I use the pure stuff on grapefruit and it does make your mouth feel fresher. I don't mean to be combatative of disrespectful I am just genuinely confused.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I dont think the doc would say anything unless he was absolutely certain of what he is saying. Its very easy to take things out of context when all we have is a keyboard. Considering the language barrier too, he's managed to explain some really fundamental things about BB very clearly.

When you are being scientific about a problem, there are going to be things that dont make sense, but that's due to individual interpretations of the facts.

I think we tend to interpret a lot of things with a bias of hope. For instance, there probably isnt any proper studies into the antifungal properties of xylitol. So it may simply be down to the fact that if someone uses xylitol instead of ordinary sugar, because we know that ordinary sugar promotes fungal growth, it could simply be down to the absence of sugar that brings a statistical reduction in instances of oral candidosis.

Also, he has explained that xylitol is a sugar alcohol which we all know isnt good for BB.

But for what it takes to try, there is no harm in trying. But its like what the doc said about depriving oneself of certain types of food. Generally that's never a good idea. But most on here are trying to figure out the cause of their problem.

So, with hindsight, imagine if we didnt know that a low choline diet can reduce TMAU odour. We know scientifically that this should reduce odour because we understand the mechanisms of TMAU. But if nobody knew about TMAU, those with TMAU could easily have stumbled on a diet which happened to be a low choline diet, simply through experimenting with diet - most of the important discoveries in science came from mistakes and chance discovery.
brightonguy
Advanced

Post by brightonguy »

Yeah, if you swallow it like me it does have a laxative effect as I've just found out quite abruptly!!! LOL
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic