Your Email Address:

First Name:

Ileocecal Valve Syndrome

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Ah, well I hope they're all ok.

Mike, when you had all those tests and checks you mentioned on your digestive system, didn't your gastroenterologists mention or test for the presense of intestinal parasites?

Parasites or the inflammation and effects that gluten intolerance could have in your intestines might be affecting these valves in your case. I really hope it's as simple as taking the parasite treatment you're expecting to receive and perhaps by going gluten free. There has to be an explanation for all those digestive symptoms you suffer with. Just have to wait and see with those meds, or just go and get a stool sample tested by a doctor.

hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

mike
i believe mine maybe stuck closed bc of constipation it is said if the valve is open u may experience diarrhea and food particles in stools because the food is not getting as much time in the small intestines to break down. if stuck closed then u get constipation and rotten smelling feces from it literally being stuck and putrefying in the small intestines.
hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

sux
yea im thinking the same thing about not enough input i thnk alot of ppl are focused on the mouth, sinuses, supplements, and diets.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

halitosisux wrote:Ah, well I hope they're all ok.

Mike, when you had all those tests and checks you mentioned on your digestive system, didn't your gastroenterologists mention or test for the presense of intestinal parasites?

I don't have much confidence in the experience with that doctor.
I went there several times.. I told him some of my symptoms, asked about parasites, etc... I think for him, he ruled out parasite by feeling my lower abdomen.. So from the first visit, they just kept insisting IBS and giving me medicine that didn't do anything. I had an endoscopy into the stomach, where they discovered an ulcer and then said 'mild gastritis', giving me more medicine that didn't do anything.

Later I asked for a blood test which came up with no problems, though I think they only tested for anemia and some basic things.. Every time I brought up parasites or anything else the docs sort of seemed to dismiss it, as if they figured 'no, it can't be'.

One time I had my friend translate everything I wanted to say onto a paper.. with like a dozen or so possibilities for why my digestion would be messed up. I listed things like Crohn's disease, Gluten Intolerance, Parasites, bacterial imbalance, fungus infection, etc, etc... He looked at the paper, asked if my friend was a doctor. He and the nurses both seemed to be dumbfounded (I didn't feel it was necessary to mention I instructed the writing of the paper). I don't think they're very experienced beyond simple problems.

Later I had a colonoscopy... they went in and said I was fine. I feel like they were looking only for something obvious, like tissue damage.

So they said I was perfectly healthy, asked if I wanted more meds, to which I said no, because they don't do anything... They seemed to reach their limit for concern cause they couldn't find an obvious problem with me.

For one thing, I've heard things from other people about doctors in Japan.. They only seem to peddle useless drugs and don't really get down to business when it comes to healing a patient, particularly if there's an unusual problem... Certainly echoes my experience. I mean right off the bat they were saying IBS, which even Wikipedia says should be diagnosed after ruling out everything else.

Also, I think their normal patients are just old folks who need to take a medicine to help with digestion trouble.

I also feel like the sinus doc I went to before sort of blew me off.. He stuck an endoscope up my nose, each nostril for literally 2 seconds and said 'you don't have nasal polyps, you have year round allergies'.

It's too bad that such affordable healthcare has to be coupled with inexperienced docs, or doctors that just don't give much of a damn.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Mike, I got the immediate impression while I read through your post that your doctors sounded like they were half-heartedly dealing with your situation and were really only interested in sending you home with more pills.

Maybe there's a low incidence of parasitic infections in Japan so it's not something these doctors were going to consider. Did they know you spent time living in Thailand?

Do you know whether they actually tested you for helicobacter after discovering you had an ulcer?

It's strange because the only way a doctor can diagnose or rule out parasites is by actually testing for them.

The good thing is that medications for treating parasites are easy to obtain and generally low health risk, so one way to rule them out is to get treatment for them, as you are doing.

sorry had to rush this post.
jen
Advanced

Post by jen »

It was my experience at the doctor's as well. After each procedure (gastroscopy, colonoscopy, camera in nose) I hear that there is nothing wrong with me. (They only look for obvious things and won't bother to test for H.Pylori or other possible causes.

Does treatment for parasites involve antibiotics? I would like to treat myself for in case, but do not want to use antibiotics unnecessarily.
malory
Master
Post by malory »

Hal is right - parasites can only be detected with a stool test. Parasites such as dientamoeba fragilis and blastocystis hominis can only be detected with a stool test done using a fixative solution. I had both these parasites and got rid of them eventually with strong antibiotics. Most doctors say these parasites are mostly harmless but I think they could cause dysbiosis/imbalance of gut flora. As I have TMAU my smell did not diminish after getting rid of the parasites but, if you want to know more about parasites go to Jackie Delaney's website:
http://www.badbugs.org/

I once read a post on this bb forum about the ileocaecal valve. A lady had gone to a chiropractor and he'd managed to release it. Since reading that post, I found a chiropractor who now regularly releases my ileocaecal valve. It takes just a few minutes! (Again, it has no effect on my TMAU odour but it is probably well worth following up.)
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

@halitosisux

Yeah, I told them I was in Thailand.. Well I don't speak anywhere near fluent Japanese, but they didn't really discuss anything with me.. Usually I'd go into the room with the doc, tell them about it (if a second or third visit, tell how the meds weren't working) the doctor would take a moment to think to himself, maybe flip through a book, Then decide on a different medicine or recommend the endoscopy.

They did a basic blood test, but never talked with me about any test specifically for parasites, and never requested stool or urine sample.

Well, my anti-parasite drug came today, so I'll be taking that soon (on a day when I don't work the next day.. just in case it really messes me up).. Just need to figure out the proper dosages.

@jen

It seems some parasites might require antibiotics, like malory says. Depends on the creature I guess. The drug I ordered is Praziquantel, the same stuff you give to your pets.

@malory

You have an ileocecal valve issue too? By 'releasing it', you mean it gets stuck open or closed? Do you feel a difference in your body, or your digestion after your chiropractor releases the malfunctioning valve?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Good luck with the meds mike. Sorry if you've answered this before, but did they confirm whether or not you have helicobacter from those blood tests?

Very interested to know from malory what happens when this valve gets released.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Nope, they never confirmed anything with me. They just said the blood test was all okay. The sheet I gave them that had all those conditions listed was set up like a check list, for answers of 'yes, no, and possibly'...but they completely disregarded it. #-o

I remember from the endoscopy though, they were spraying some kind of blue liquid every once in awhile.. I thought that might be to view certain kinds of bacteria, but then I considered it might be some kind of numbing agent.

Looks like I'll be taking 25mg per kg every 4 to 6 hours for one day. Will try this within the next week.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

My throat was sprayed too when I had mine and they said it was to numb it.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Yesterday, I took the praziquantel.

Typical does is 20mg/kg 3 doses a day to kill most organisms.

I did 30-ish mg/kg every 4 hours... It was only suppose to be taken 3 times in one day, but I still had a couple pills left, so I thought I'd do a fourth dose.

I don't know if it was that fourth dose or that I caught a cold since that morning, but now being before bed, I felt dizzy and a little numb.

I brushed my teeth and after brushing my tongue, couldn't contain the urge to throw up my dinner into the sink.

I understand most parasites will be digested or dissolve in the body, but I checked my stool anyway.. My stool was less composed than it has been lately, but that medicine did make me feel slightly ill. Anyway, I didn't see anything all that unusual.. Just that my shit looked like it was made out of granola.. Clearly my digestion has been suffering.. It looked like less poop and more like crushed and ripped up nuts and fruit husks.. Maybe it always looks like that.. I didn't look closely with the flashlight until today.. So unfortunately I didn't find the enormous rope-like tape worm I had hoped to crawl out of my ass.

So I don't know if there were parasites or not.
I've definitely caught a cold, so I feel crappy anyway. Not sure how my breath is... I imagine it stinks, but I wore a mask to work as to not get anyone sick.

No reactions, but again, I wore the mask.

Well I hope it did something.. If it didn't, I might find another gastroenterologist, tell him straight up my breath smells like crap, and I also have digestion issues... Ask him very specifically to do tests for everything I can think of..

Also, I've got the metro pills now, if I want to crush them up and try them as a mouthwash... I really don't like the idea of antibiotic use of any kind, anymore, though.

Well, I'll be sick for the next week probably, so I won't be able to judge my breath.. I imagine if I did have parasites with/without ileocecal valve dysfunction, it would take a couple days to get my body back in proper order anyway.

Anybody got any new ideas or info concerning the ileocecal valve?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Mike, good luck. Try not to get disheartened if you dont see any positive signs. There are many types of parasite and it may require different medications.

There's also always the option of seeing your doctor and asking to be tested.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Sounds like the same theory as hiatus hernia.

The valve at the entrance of the stomach that expands and contracts as a reaction to swallowing. It allows food to pass through and stay in the stomach rather than floating back up. A weak hiatus is loose, the muscle doesn't contract as well, and overly acidic people are at risk of the valve wearing away.

I was suggested a surgery for this, but the doc said it was risky and no known guarantee that it would have the effect of controlling BB. It was more of something for acid reflux symptoms to keep acid in the stomach and prevent further erosion of the lower intestine.

Another doc said that my hiatus was absolutely normal, so I left that theory out. I was also scared at the though of tying my stomach opening into a knot.
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

Hali grl- the only way to "fix" the valve seems to be by chiropractor?

Who wants to play detective?

Anyone with insurance call 3 chiroprators in your area and discuss the valve syndrome with them. The one who seems to know the most and is most confident he/she can release it- make your appt.! Its worth a try.

I'm willing, anyone else?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic