Your Email Address:

First Name:

Bad breath could be present because of a sinus infection!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
coconuthead
Advanced

Bad breath could be present because of a sinus infection!

Post by coconuthead »

I read this story about this guy who had suffered with bad breath for 2 years. He suffered from low-grade fevers and flu-like symptoms that would come and go within those 2 years. He said that his breath smelled like mothballs. The smell would come from his mouth as well as his nose. He actually went to an ENT, and found out that he had a sinus infection deep within the sinuses, and his doctor prescribed antibiotics and it helped him.

Have any of you considered it could possibly be a really bad sinus infection? You don't have to show any symptons, but you could still have one.

I think I'll visit the ENT, and ask about this. The only thing is that I have no insurance, and no job. I'm 18 and a full-time college student. I don't know what I'm gonna do? I'll have to figure something out.

I do get migranes and recently I have noticed that I have a nasal odor. I never smelled it until a few weeks ago, when I was in class and I was breathing into the sleev of my jacket and I smelled it. Also, my throat is sore sometimes and along with the sore throat I experience earaches.

Here's the guy story http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/306600

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I think if you suffer with nasal odours, there's a very good chance that it's actually originating somewhere in your nose or sinuses.

Go through dolittle's "consultation" thread. In there dolittle mentions some really clever ways in which it's possible to determine whether the odour is actually originating in the nose.

There are lots of ways that odour could get produced in the nose which don't necessarily mean there is an ongoing active infection present. For example, if there is some kind of anatomical reason that allows mucus to stagnate, that mucus will smell. Allergies could give rise to situations that cause blockage and stagnation.

There are also situations inside the sinuses which can go undetected unless the right type of scan and tests are performed.

How long have you had your BB? did you have any episodes of sinusitis that coincided roughly with your BB starting? Did it coincide with living in damp or mouldy conditions etc?
lost1234
Junior

Post by lost1234 »

This may be a stupid question.. Wouldnt you get an odor from your nose if you breath in from you mouth and out your nose? Also as I said many of times my bb started from one major headache which doctors said it was sinusitis but everything they gave me seemed to never work.
coconuthead
Advanced

Post by coconuthead »

halitosisux wrote:I think if you suffer with nasal odours, there's a very good chance that it's actually originating somewhere in your nose or sinuses.

Go through dolittle's "consultation" thread. In there dolittle mentions some really clever ways in which it's possible to determine whether the odour is actually originating in the nose.

There are lots of ways that odour could get produced in the nose which don't necessarily mean there is an ongoing active infection present. For example, if there is some kind of anatomical reason that allows mucus to stagnate, that mucus will smell. Allergies could give rise to situations that cause blockage and stagnation.

There are also situations inside the sinuses which can go undetected unless the right type of scan and tests are performed.

How long have you had your BB? did you have any episodes of sinusitis that coincided roughly with your BB starting? Did it coincide with living in damp or mouldy conditions etc?
I've had bb since I was 10. It may have been before that, but I'm not sure. My friends told me in the 5th grade at the end of the school year. As far as the episodes of sinusitis, I am not sure. I can't remember that far back. I do remember for years, on and off, one of my nostrils would be stopped up. It's like I'd empty all of the mucous and I still couldn't breath through that nostril. I just always assumed it was allergies. The weird thing is my breath and nasal odor have different smells. I've been told my breath smells like feces, but when I smell my nasal odor it smells sour-like. I can't really explain the smell. Sometimes I could be walking and I'll walk through it and smell also.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

lost1234, do you mean breathe air into your lungs through your mouth and then close your mouth and breathe outwards through your nose?

The trouble with that is you introduce the possibility that odour is coming from the lungs. Have a read what dolittle said, about the techniques for discovering where the odour is originating from.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

coconuthead, maybe your nasal odour smells differently to your mouth odour because your nose has become familiarized to the odour your nose produces that it can't distinguish it correctly.
cope

Post by cope »

Last edited by cope on Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

I have sinus infections often in addition to what doctors describe as year round allergies.

In 2010, I was certain my BB was sinus related... then I put 2 and 2 together concerning my bowel issues and the backdraft of my BB... It would almost have to be digestive based.....
coconuthead
Advanced

Post by coconuthead »

Wow Mike, really? I never really felt like my bb was coming from the gastrointestinal area. I've always assumed it was coming from the upper respiratory are. Like somewhere in the throat/nasal area. May I ask what makes you think it comes from the gastrointestinal area? I mean I am sometimes constipated, but that's pretty much about it.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

My bowel movements are, every day, the same muddy slop... Gross, I know, sorry.

Sometimes I'll get a whiff of something, thinking someone farted... nope, it was backdraft, and it was me. I used to get this daily during work, but now I'm more careful about being close to people, though I still get the whiff from time to time.

There have been times where kids have had reactions, thinking someone farted.. Other times, they've covered their faces while I was talking and said something like 'fart' in their native language.

Ugh.. It doesn't smell like bad breath... It smells like a god damn fart.. It's disgusting. When I smell it myself, I think, what the hell, did someone just let one off? ... That's the natural reaction, because the smell is identical.

Still, I'm so confused and tired... I don't ****ing know... It could be anything... I go to stomach docs, they give me medicines that don't do anything, or do tests (never the whole list I want done) and the outcome is "congratulations, you are healthy!"

I have come up with sort of a new theory......

Well, first of all, if you guys want to smell what my breath smells like, boil some chicken... Go ahead and eat what you want, but don't put any extra ingredients or anything with it. Just the boiled chicken. Put the remaining portion in a plastic container with plastic wrap under the lid. Put it in the fridge. The next day, you open the container, and take a whiff... Smells like a god damn fart... That is the back draft I get.....

Sometimes, while washing out a protein drink cup that's been sitting in the sink for awhile, but has some liquid drying on the bottom, a whiff of a fart comes up into my face.... It's short, but very similar to what I smell on the chicken, and in the backdraft when I speak to people.

Keep in mind, I haven't always ate this chicken every day like I do now, and I didn't always drink protein shakes every day... Though it was during those times where I didn't, that I realized the fart smell I kept sensing in classes was backdraft from me.

Okay... Now I have a hard time keeping weight on... I feel like I do nothing but lose it... If I'm not working out every day and eating a ton of food to make muscles, I will not gain weight. I have virtually no fat on my body, it seems.... If I don't get my workouts in, my muscles and my weight seem to evaporate fairly quickly.

Also, I get hungry within hours of eating... 2 or 3 hours, I can be hungry.. I can feel my stomach burning, and if I don't get food in there it hurts really bad.... So I must keep eating, which is hard to do since I don't get lunch breaks during days of class that can last 3 to 6 hours. I eat right before the class, and often, during the last class, I know I need food, so I bust out bananas or almonds, and share them with the students... This, of course, I'm not suppose to do.

So getting to my point, I feel like my body is constantly devouring itself... I have so little fat on my body, that I feel the muscles are the first thing to go. Muscles are made from protein, and burning those muscles probably releases the same stink as the chicken or protein shake remains...

Either that, or my colon or intestines are being digested, which is meat just the same...... I have some reason to believe this.... Whenever I take a crap, the first turd is always the most solid... the rest, particularly toward the end, gets consistently softer... On rare occasions where I don't take a crap in the morning, The crap that is now built up, much further away from the acid in the intestines than the fresh crap, is waay more solid, resembling genuinely normal turds.

Also, if I sleep less than I usually do, supposing I need to get up much earlier or something... Often times, I don't even have the sensation to crap, and if I do, it's not so soft.... But if I sleep the full 8 hours my body wants, I wake up to an upset stomach and feel the need to use the restroom not long after standing. It's like I've been getting hungry while sleeping, and the acid production just won't stop.... When I have all this extra acid, it's soaking into the crap furthest away from the anus, making it sloppier.

Another thought.... Maybe if my intestines and colon and just slightly raw, the wall of the intestines are thinner, absorbing the smell of my crap and the gas that surrounds it.....

Guuuhhh... . It's so confusing...
I feel insane!
jen
Advanced

Post by jen »

mike987 wrote:My bowel movements are, every day, the same muddy slop... Gross, I know, sorry.

Sometimes I'll get a whiff of something, thinking someone farted... nope, it was backdraft, and it was me. I used to get this daily during work, but now I'm more careful about being close to people, though I still get the whiff from time to time.

There have been times where kids have had reactions, thinking someone farted.. Other times, they've covered their faces while I was talking and said something like 'fart' in their native language.

Ugh.. It doesn't smell like bad breath... It smells like a god damn fart.. It's disgusting. When I smell it myself, I think, what the hell, did someone just let one off? ... That's the natural reaction, because the smell is identical.

Still, I'm so confused and tired... I don't ****ing know... It could be anything... I go to stomach docs, they give me medicines that don't do anything, or do tests (never the whole list I want done) and the outcome is "congratulations, you are healthy!"

I have come up with sort of a new theory......

Well, first of all, if you guys want to smell what my breath smells like, boil some chicken... Go ahead and eat what you want, but don't put any extra ingredients or anything with it. Just the boiled chicken. Put the remaining portion in a plastic container with plastic wrap under the lid. Put it in the fridge. The next day, you open the container, and take a whiff... Smells like a god damn fart... That is the back draft I get.....

Sometimes, while washing out a protein drink cup that's been sitting in the sink for awhile, but has some liquid drying on the bottom, a whiff of a fart comes up into my face.... It's short, but very similar to what I smell on the chicken, and in the backdraft when I speak to people.

Keep in mind, I haven't always ate this chicken every day like I do now, and I didn't always drink protein shakes every day... Though it was during those times where I didn't, that I realized the fart smell I kept sensing in classes was backdraft from me.

Okay... Now I have a hard time keeping weight on... I feel like I do nothing but lose it... If I'm not working out every day and eating a ton of food to make muscles, I will not gain weight. I have virtually no fat on my body, it seems.... If I don't get my workouts in, my muscles and my weight seem to evaporate fairly quickly.

Also, I get hungry within hours of eating... 2 or 3 hours, I can be hungry.. I can feel my stomach burning, and if I don't get food in there it hurts really bad.... So I must keep eating, which is hard to do since I don't get lunch breaks during days of class that can last 3 to 6 hours. I eat right before the class, and often, during the last class, I know I need food, so I bust out bananas or almonds, and share them with the students... This, of course, I'm not suppose to do.

So getting to my point, I feel like my body is constantly devouring itself... I have so little fat on my body, that I feel the muscles are the first thing to go. Muscles are made from protein, and burning those muscles probably releases the same stink as the chicken or protein shake remains...

Either that, or my colon or intestines are being digested, which is meat just the same...... I have some reason to believe this.... Whenever I take a crap, the first turd is always the most solid... the rest, particularly toward the end, gets consistently softer... On rare occasions where I don't take a crap in the morning, The crap that is now built up, much further away from the acid in the intestines than the fresh crap, is waay more solid, resembling genuinely normal turds.

Also, if I sleep less than I usually do, supposing I need to get up much earlier or something... Often times, I don't even have the sensation to crap, and if I do, it's not so soft.... But if I sleep the full 8 hours my body wants, I wake up to an upset stomach and feel the need to use the restroom not long after standing. It's like I've been getting hungry while sleeping, and the acid production just won't stop.... When I have all this extra acid, it's soaking into the crap furthest away from the anus, making it sloppier.

Another thought.... Maybe if my intestines and colon and just slightly raw, the wall of the intestines are thinner, absorbing the smell of my crap and the gas that surrounds it.....

Guuuhhh... . It's so confusing...
I feel insane!
Mike, have you ever had a colonoscopy?
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Actually yes. Last year. They said it looked fine.

They insisted I was healthy, but offered more drugs...
I get the feeling these clinics in Japan don't want to do stool samples... I showed the last doc I went to a photo of my crap and he just sort of said 'hmmmm... soft?'... Gave me more medicine.... Guh.
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

Mike, I am in the process of finding a Naturopath Doctor that will preform the below tests. One is stool test, saliva, hormone and more. Seems very comprehensive. I have never seen a Naturopath, but maybe their outlook will have less of a God Complex then the typical med school dr.
See the tests below, very comprehensive and may be telling for us!
Pathology Tests

CDSA – Complete Digestive Stool Analysis
The Complete Digestive Stool Analysis (CDSA) is a functional test that provides an overview of the components of digestion, absorption, intestinal function and microbial flora, as well as identifying pathogenic bacteria, parasites and yeasts. The CDSA is a non-invasive test providing invaluable information for the patient and practitioner in terms of understanding the role of poor digestive function in disease states. Poor digestive function and imbalanced gut flora may play a crucial role in the underlying cause of a number of health conditions. Symptoms such as constipation, diarrhoea, flatulence, bloating, abdominal discomfort and bad breath are all indicative of poor gut function.

Saliva – Hormone Testing
Saliva testing has been used to measure hormones since the late 1960s and has many advantages over serum testing. The most significant feature of saliva testing is that it reflects the non-protein bound ’free’ fraction of hormones at a given point of time. As steroid hormones are predominantly bound to carrier proteins (cortisol binding protein, sex hormone binding globulin and albumin) in the blood, the unbound fraction is considered more readily available to the cells of the body. It is these ’free’ hormones that best reflect a patient’s hormonally-related symptoms, rather than total or bound hormone levels (as measured in serum).

The Female Hormone Profile
monitors changes in hormone status over the course or part of the menstrual cycle, by measuring the sex hormones. Saliva specimens are collected on specified days of the month, according to the nature of the investigation, e.g. a full cycle profile for a pre-menopausal woman or the luteal phase only in premenopausal or peri-menopausal women. For post menopausal women refer to the Baseline Hormone Profile. The Female Hormone Profile provides valuable information on an individuals hormonal status and the potential impact this may have on physical and emotional health. Hormonal imbalance may result in a symptom picture which includes weight gain, mood swings, night sweats, disturbed sleep pattern, loss of libido and hot flushes.

The Baseline Hormone Profile
provides valuable information on an individuals hormonal status and the potential impact this may have on physical and emotional health. Hormonal imbalance may result in a symptom picture which includes weight gain, mood swings, night sweats, disturbed sleep pattern, loss of libido and hot flushes. Salivary Hormone testing is unique in that it helps identify the hormonal imbalances which may be causing chronic health problems. Results obtained from the test make it possible for us to individualise treatment in order to establish optimal hormone balance.

The Adrenal Hormone Profile
is a non-invasive saliva test which monitors the levels of the stress hormones Cortisol and DHEA-S, over the course of a day. This is an important test to determine adrenal function in patients presenting with symptoms such as anxiety, depression, mood swings, insomnia, headaches, low energy, stress, hormonal imbalance and poor immune function. Altered levels of Cortisol and DHEA-S are indicative of acute and/or chronic mental and/or physical stress. Prolonged stress causes increased secretion of Cortisol and can eventually lead to hypertrophy of the adrenal cortex, adrenal exhaustion and immune suppression. DHEA-S is the main androgen in both men and women and its levels decline with age. Reduced levels of DHEA-S may result in fatigue, poor immune function, weight gain, increased ageing, memory loss and poor concentration.

Sydney Wholistic uses the services of Healthscope (formerly ARL) for pathology testing requirements. For more detailed information on these tests visit www.healthscopepathology.com.au

Food and Additive Intolerance Testing
MrDoubleB
Junior

Post by MrDoubleB »

There was this guy on healthboards who go cured after he did a surgery for chronic sinusitis. But then he left and never came back to give us any updates.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Do you know what the surgery was specifically?

I don't see it happening in this country, but I'd love to have a doc get into my sinuses and make them larger, or cut out some mucus producing membrane or something... get rid of the adenoids while back there maybe... I can never breathe clearly...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic