Your Email Address:

First Name:

Head scratcher

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
FedUp
God

Head scratcher

Post by FedUp »

Well first off I am new here, I've been reading threads and posts and I'm somewhat relieved (strangely) that others are going through Bad Breath Issues just like me.

all of my life i've never had breath issues, high school was fine, girlfriends-having fun etc no problems there.

Only in the past 6 months I've had horrendous breath.

I popped out alot of small tonsil stones.

I did a tongue wrist lick test- it stunk absolutely wretched and i'm shocked nobody ever confronted or said anything about my breath.

I recently had tonsillitis and I've currently got a sinus infection (which i've taken anti-biotics for).

Now my breath has greatly reduced if not gone I dare say.

But here's where my story is confusing.

I can talk to people right in their face and they will not bat an eye lid or flinch. no reaction whatsoever (good times). but I will rarely get the odd comment "have you farted?" and the other day in the pub I coulda sworn a woman yelled "has he shit himself?" maybe I misheard her and me being so paranoid thought she said that.

Before I cleaned my tongue I would frequently get comments "it smells like you haven't wiped your ass in 4 days" and someone actually turning a fan on to blow away the poop smell. All VERY embarrassing for me but I just blew it off as a bad gasy stomach to avoid breath embarassment.

but now I'm very good in my oral hygiene.

waterpik, clean teeth, mouth wash 3 times a day.

When I do the lick test now their is ZERO scent whatsover. no smell from my tonsils. I even do the pulling your cheeks in and out fast and exhaling to smell the breath. now a scent does come out but its more of a watery smell (that's the best way I can describe it).

btw my tongue has a mild white coating.

But what I don't get

Is how can i speak to people and they do not smell nothing, and do not back away from me or cough or sniff up. but sometimes I'll get the "did you fart" comment or the "has he shit himself" comment (i'm still unsure she actually said that which kills me even more). I was even flirting with the bartender 10 seconds prior to when I thought the "b***c" said that. the bartender did not flinch or give me bad looks.

So my sinus infection, does this breath come and go during the day?

after a week of nasal spray and anti-biotics my nose is still stuffy.

I can literally do the saliva, tongue and gum lick test and no smell at all. so is my fecal breath just down to my smelly sinuses?

I feel uncomfortable to breath around people now, it's just ruining life. doctors prove useless in these situations I find, i've been to the doctors 5 times, EVERYTIME a different doctor too, it frustrates me.

I think maybe I'm heavily paranoid looking for peoples reactions, like I may misread someone just casually sniffing up or coughing, or gently rubbing their nose. for one instance someone at work kinda made a face at me while i was talking to her, but i was crafty and watched her speaking with another colleague and she made the same face. so that perked me up knowing it's just a stupid face she makes lol

sometimes I think this is in my head as I can talk to people and they will not move an inch and get right in my face.

Sorry for the long post, I just need to vent months worth of confusion and sadness.

I'm shocked doctors are mythed on this subject.

ThisSucks
Junior

Post by ThisSucks »

Fedup, It seems we have the EXACT same problem.
My cure will be your cure, your cure will be my cure.

I can talk directly to someone´s face without a problem. But occasionally people think I farted or sh*t my pants.

And before this I had tonsil stones too.

My tongue is mildly white like yours.

I soon have an appointment with the gastroentrologist, because I think our stomachs produce fartsmell or something and when the cardia opens from time to time (I have Acid Reflux and so do you most likely), the fartsmell comes out of the stomach in full force.

But I can't place the tonsil stones anywhere....
Why did we both have tonsil stones?

Oh well, we'll see.

Btw how old are you?
I turned 24 just recently and my Bad Breath started at like age 14 (That's when I had the Tonsil Stones)
deebo

rectal malodor

Post by deebo »

It may be very helpful to confirm the source of your odor . Many people have stone and bad odor when licking their wrist and No BB . Is it possible you have anal odor ? http://ddxfetor.wikinet.org/wiki/Main_Page#Anus

hopemovo
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

i'm 22. and this problem has only started this year, im praying it's a temporary thing.

as for the anus order, i really doubt it as i shower twice a day and i'm very thorough in washing myself. at first i thought maybe i wasn't wiping (gross lol) properly or not washing that area properly.

i had no episodes today. i was even looking at a colleagues photos on her phone and she was directly next to me literally in my face. no backing away, comments or sniffing/coughing. at first i was holding my breath but then i thought "f it" whats the worse that could happen, well i was breathing normally and nothing. so is it worth me seeing a gastroenterologist?

as of now im not concerned with my dental health as there are no smells in my saliva anymore, tongue doesnt stink, tonsils dont stink anymore. i do believe i still have a sinus infection as i can't breath very well through my nostrils.

so im just scratching my head constantly at what's going on. just one comment or reaction can mess my whole day up.
HigherThoughts
Advanced

Post by HigherThoughts »

Maybe your bad breath can be caused by something you eat. Try taking notice of what you eat and see if there are any reactions after you eat certain foods.
deebo

Post by deebo »

anal odor can also be gas that surprisingly can go unnoticed . I know several people with what they call 'L G' or 'leaky gas' . Also ,if you've read this forum you know malodor can come with mouth closed ,through the nose .

From the hundreds of members saying their Gastro visits were usually somewhat fruitless, you can gather what you visit might be like. But it can't hurt . There have been rare cases where a blockage was found .Direct Stomach issues are said to be the least likely cause of halitosis . One thing that comes to my mind is when you vomit , it smells bad of course , but it never smells like poop . :-k

hopemovo
hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

deebo
i have the same issue noticing that my throw up doesn't stink nor burps. And my breath smells worse than my farts. I've read that the thick stomach lining actually prevents odors from coming back up. Thats why stomach causes are the least likely for bad breath.
ThisSucks
Junior

Post by ThisSucks »

My butt is always clean, ALWAYS. It definitely comes out of the mouth.

I have an appointment with the gastro in august and I will get a Biopsy, because my doctor thought I have the H Pylori Bacteria in my stomach. Maybe that is the cause I don´t know.

Btw FedUp I want to ask you something so I can scratch this off of my list.

Do you eat alot and fast? I mean ALOT and VERY FAST?
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Sure it may be that the stomach is the least of causes, but I might guess that this forum isn't rolling alongside the statistics either. We are the minority, so if I'm you, I wouldn't discount any theories, and I might perhaps look towards the least likely. I highly doubt the issue is going to be obvious or typical.

Listen to yourself/your own body before taking the advice of the forums, and I say that with no disrespect to the forum. There are too many ideas here, it's too complex and varied a problem. You have to draw your own conclusions based off of your own examinations, using some of the more sensible posts as a guide.

Trying to read reactions comes with time and experience and is easier with people that you talk to daily. Even after that, you will be wrong sometimes. But again... listen to yourself, if you have bad breath you will know it. If you don't have it, you will know it. That part is not rocket science. Once determined that you do... (the sooner the better) then it becomes hard. Not only do you have to find some "cure" but you have to keep your mental health intact, which to me is the real fight here.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

ThisSucks wrote:My butt is always clean, ALWAYS. It definitely comes out of the mouth.

I have an appointment with the gastro in august and I will get a Biopsy, because my doctor thought I have the H Pylori Bacteria in my stomach. Maybe that is the cause I don´t know.

Btw FedUp I want to ask you something so I can scratch this off of my list.

Do you eat alot and fast? I mean ALOT and VERY FAST?
i don't eat very much tbh, i've had weight issues in the past, i eat just enough to maintain weight. i've lost over 14 pounds just worrying about my breath recently. i'm still at a healthy weight. and when i do eat i tend to take my time with it. i've stopped coffee consumption. i've had another good day, i'm just hoping my sinuses have cleared up properly, breathing through nose is a little easier. so maybe im thinking this is just sinus related but it doesnt explain the random "have you farted" comments lol. i have a friend who will tell me if i stink (he didn't know it was my mouth). he came round last night we was watching youtube videos, he was up in my face--- not a word. and today talking to me stood and sat near me. so i don't know lol i recently went through alot of probiotics and noticed i'm pooping much more too.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I used to know a guy (in late teens) who most of the time had perfect fresh breath, and then some days it would suddenly be unbearably bad. I clearly remember him telling me about his past history of sinus troubles and of his descriptions his family gave him about how bad his breath got. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his breath still sometimes smelt horrific, cos he was a really happy thick-skinned guy who was never troubled by any of this.

I remember catching occational glimpses of his tongue when he spoke and it was sometimes a yellowish/orange colour. I can't remember if this ever coincided with his episodes of bad breath or not. Sometimes his voice would sound sinusy, as though both his nasal passages were completely blocked off.

My conclusion is that the intermittent contrasting nature of this guy's breath may have been due to some form of chronic infection in one or more of his sinus cavities, and that the times when his breath stunk were when any of his particular infected sinuses was "aspirating" and able to drain and breathe, and that when his breath didn't stink was when these sinuses were blocked off. I find it hard to find any other plausible explanation for this type of "on/off" intermittent BB, other than other areas which may have similar on/off characteristics, such as pouches that form in the esophagus where food can become trapped and stagnate. Or there may have been something going on in his sinuses which triggered bacterial infections to take hold.

I used to spend the week living and working away with him for months at a time, and I was able to closely watch his behaviour. His diet was constant and healthy. His general health (apart from sinus trouble) was always constant. I even remember noting his bowel habits and the smell he left behind - they were always constant and normal.

Sorry for going on such tangents here, but if you suspect that you have sinus problems, do whatever you have to do to deal with this. Chronic sinusitis becomes harder to deal with the longer it remains.

@elliott, with all due respect, no matter what anyone believes about their own breath status, halitophobia is a very real issue which arises out of the fact that it's impossible to reliably determine how bad or good their own breath really is, no matter what anyone does or doesn't tell them, no matter what they can or cannot smell or detect for themselves, and no matter what reactions they see around them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic