Your Email Address:

First Name:

Beneficial E coli bacteria in German probiotic

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
malory
Master
Beneficial E coli bacteria in German probiotic

Post by malory »

Clutching at straws i may be, but, as always, I write this in the hope that it may help somebody out there. Please note that I am not promoting the Ardeypharm company in Germany which sell the probiotic containing E. Coli Nissle1917.

A comprehensive stool analysis i did some years ago revealed a deficiency in beneficial e coli bacteria (see my other post entitled 'A fellow sufferer's success story').
I found 2 posts on the environmental illness website which discuss beneficial e-coli and they interested me:

A quote from an article about e coli:
"A deficiency in this form of probiotic bacteria can result in reduced production of folic acid, the amino acids Tyrosine, Phenylalanine and Tryptophan, SCFAs and also Co-EnzymeQ10"

The administrator of the site posted:
IBS is another common GI condition for which E.coli supplementation (in the form of Mutaflor) has been used successfully in clinical trials. Check out the manufacturer's website for a list of clinical studies on this product -http://www.ardeypharm.de/en/index.php?seite=clinical

The problem is that this product is produced in Germany and is not widely available in many countries. I believe it is not even allowed to be sold in the US at present. To my knowledge it is also the only probiotic supplement containing a beneficial E.coli strain.

The quote you gave on the beneficial effects of E.coli surprised me a bit too. That is some important work it is doing there. Besides impacting methylation and energy metabolism a deficiency would also directly disrupt neurotransmitter metabolism since tyrosine, phenylalanine and serotonin are required to produce noradrenaline, dopamine and serotonin among others!

I am currently trying to obtain this probiotic and used DrMyhill.co.uk to help me order it. I will update on any progress in few months

malory
Master
Post by malory »

I finally got hold of this product (costly as it is) and finished it within 3 weeks. At the same time I was doing a restricted Paleo diet following on from taking turmeric (20g daily) for a several days.

I noticed a slight improvement in odour (until menstruation, and then tragedy ensued...) but nothing significant. However, my bowels immediately normalised on taking the Mutaflor, and stools are now properly formed (they were formerly slushy) and less odorous.

My odour was recently described as being like urine (ammonia I guess as I have tmau) rather than the normal fecal comments I get. I hope to re-order the Mutaflor (finances permitting) as I am pleased with how it was healing my gut in some way. Usually, on eating certain foods, I would get mild stomach pains. since taking the Mutaflor, I don't get any at all. Also, I think I would rather smell like wee than poop!
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Malory, I know you've been tested and diagnosed with TMAU, but on a scale of 1-10, how severe is your TMAU? (based on your test results, not the odour).

Were you ever tested for the genetically caused forms of TMAU?

Can you buy resin based gut deodorizers? Is there such a thing? In a certain hobby of mine, there exists resin based chemical absorbers which are supposedly superior to carbon based ones (and a lot more expensive). If you know such products do exist, but haven't tried them, it might be well worth trying. It's very sad to know that after so much searching you managed to find the cause of your BB, only to struggle to get any relief from it when many people are often able to do so.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

. . .
Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

I live in the US and was able to order this from a Canadian Online Store.

I paid a lot for shipping but received it days later.

I just started using it. I'll be sure to give an update later.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

I also came across this story of a girl who's halitosis (coming from the gut) was cured after using mutaflor -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11686501

Successful treatment of gut-caused halitosis with a suspension of living non-pathogenic Escherichia coli bacteria--a case report.

Abstract
"In up to 90% of cases, severe halitosis is a result of gastrointestinal or orolaryngeal problems. This case study reports on a girl with bad breath caused by increased formation of malodorous intestinal gases (halitosis), which could be successfully treated with a suspension of living non-pathogenic bacteria Escherichia coli. Conclusion: in unclear cases of bad breath, an increased formation of intestinal gases should also be considered."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic