Your Email Address:

First Name:

im so mad at my family

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
DanielPine
Advanced
im so mad at my family

Post by DanielPine »

why do they lie? My dad got really mad at me once and said 'at one point you have to realise that your bad breath is imaginary', but its not :(

why do they go to such lengths to convince me that I dont have it, how could they think that would help?

badbreathe88
Junior

Post by badbreathe88 »

because they want to lessen your pressure, telling you that your breath smells bad will only have a negative impact, telling you that it doesn't smell eases the pain a bit.
deebo

Post by deebo »

badbreathe88 wrote:because they want to lessen your pressure, telling you that your breath smells bad will only have a negative impact, telling you that it doesn't smell eases the pain a bit.
unfortunately, this doesn't ease any pain at all , but makes it Worse ,because now there is no trust either . I've heard this So many times . No one admits that we smell when asked . Doctors included . THis does NOt help us
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

It would be good if the people who organise meetups and who are very open about their BB, could arrange to have some non-BB "friends" to attend. They'd have no reason to lie.

Weird how nobody ever seems to have BB at meetups though. They surely can't all have the exact same type of BB that renders them unable to smell each other?
deebo

Post by deebo »

i think the best thing is a gas device to give a reading that can't be denied . Or a lie detector =) . BB people at meetups may have diminished olfactory sense plus they are prone to hide truths like anyone else in social setting .
bbsux
Advanced

Post by bbsux »

This is whats very frustrating problem to me as well.

I have asked my mom, sister, my manager at work, and my friend and all said i do not have the problem.

However my mom clearly reacts to me , my friends and sister not so much.

Also i met a guy on this forum who claims to have bb and we have never been able to smell each other. We have hangout like 100 times already and are pretty good friends but never detect each other.

Its possible that your friends/family are immune to me/us.

THE MOST FRUSTRATING THING is not knowing for sure. Everytime i ask my friends / family they say no but then i go and talk to people and they rub their nose and clerly smell it. Also the bad taste in the mouth is constant reminder that you have it.

So either we have the problem and they are lying to us or we are crazy and are imaging/over thinking all these reactions that other people are giving us.

Either way its a lose lose situation IMO.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

lol @ lie detector!

I agree though, that gas measurements will be the sure way to know - as long as there aren't any unknown BB gases that the machine isn't looking out for, or that the patient hasn't just eaten the things that can release high levels of VSCs and yet have no BB, that the machine is operated by someone who isn't just measuring gas levels and printing out the results without putting the results into proper meaningful context that relates to the true actual odours.

I think it needs noses and gas sensors to back up what the noses say and help the patient believe it all.
meowkity1
Super Angel

Post by meowkity1 »

Since getting tonsils out and not even tasting anything bad, I sometimes worry about halitophobia. I just read adymiers web page on it and I I fit the match. even my counselor/psychiatrist says she doesnt smell it but when I talk she constantly will hold her finger to her nose and rub. I dont know anymore, I think its a gas. My sister said she would help me but still says she doesnt smell anything but I constantly cause her to have sneezing attacks from across the room. On the way to the store yesterday I asked my son a question and he sneezed twice right away. My mom gave me a ride to get my car out the shop and as soon as I opened my mouth she sneezed three times. I said "see, its my breath, u werent sneezing until I opened my mouth. She said, I really wish you didnt have OCD so bad. I do have OCD relating to germs and cleanliness and mind rituals. but obviously I was not dreaming this up before geting my tonsils out. Why would an ENT do such a procedure if he didnt even smell anything. Why would the nurse assistant have to blow her nose when I start talking, and the doctor rub her nose over and over but they claim there is no smell. Everytime I eat anything, my mouth seems nasty, I dont think its normal. So when I eat is the main time I taste bad stuff. I wish I could eat more healthy, but food is so expensive. This week I bought my usual kefir and even found some tea that lemon and ginger flavored with probiotics in it. Oh, when my son is mad at me for putting him on punishment a few times he said my breath stunk.Family member are of no help.
bbsux
Advanced

Post by bbsux »

meowkity1 wrote:Since getting tonsils out and not even tasting anything bad, I sometimes worry about halitophobia. I just read adymiers web page on it and I I fit the match. even my counselor/psychiatrist says she doesnt smell it but when I talk she constantly will hold her finger to her nose and rub. I dont know anymore, I think its a gas. My sister said she would help me but still says she doesnt smell anything but I constantly cause her to have sneezing attacks from across the room. On the way to the store yesterday I asked my son a question and he sneezed twice right away. My mom gave me a ride to get my car out the shop and as soon as I opened my mouth she sneezed three times. I said "see, its my breath, u werent sneezing until I opened my mouth. She said, I really wish you didnt have OCD so bad. I do have OCD relating to germs and cleanliness and mind rituals. but obviously I was not dreaming this up before geting my tonsils out. Why would an ENT do such a procedure if he didnt even smell anything. Why would the nurse assistant have to blow her nose when I start talking, and the doctor rub her nose over and over but they claim there is no smell. Everytime I eat anything, my mouth seems nasty, I dont think its normal. So when I eat is the main time I taste bad stuff. I wish I could eat more healthy, but food is so expensive. This week I bought my usual kefir and even found some tea that lemon and ginger flavored with probiotics in it. Oh, when my son is mad at me for putting him on punishment a few times he said my breath stunk.Family member are of no help.
Yes that is the worst thing about it, not knowing for sure. You ask someone and they tell you no but then they have a CLEAR reaction to you. I have talked to my mom about this EXTENSIVELY and she always says its in my head and i dont have the problem yet when we are in the car she keeps rubbing her nose or she will look outside of the window when she thinks i will talk. Like she will ask me a question then look outside of the window. Also she barely never looks at me when she is talking to me in the car.

What makes it more frustrating is that sometimes when i am with my sister i will let my sister drive and let my mom sit at front and i will sit in back to observe her behavior. I do not notice my mom looking out the windown at all while my sister is talking and she looks at my sister alot while my sister talks to her.

Also i love my mom but when she makes a reaction it makes ME REALLY MAD that she claims she doesnt smell me but she is making a CLEAR reaction. There is few times where i noticed her react and i slammed my book or drink on the table and she went why did you do that. Like you i dont have the heart to tell her "See i just noticed you react right now".
badbreathe88
Junior

Post by badbreathe88 »

unfortunately, this doesn't ease any pain at all , but makes it Worse ,because now there is no trust either . I've heard this So many times . No one admits that we smell when asked . Doctors included . THis does NOt help us
Actually it helps some and frustrates others when seeking for the truth. I suffer from bb, my sister is tells me, don't worry it's not that bad, I know it's bad. I have a friend who glues his finger to his nose when he talks to me. Look if you have bb, you have bb, if you keep asking questions like "does my breath smell?", you don't only make yourself worried, you make your family members worry too, because they don't want you to keep stressing over it. They just want you to enjoy life. Even though my sister lies to me, I feel better because I know she supports me.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

same shit parents as mine were, I moved away from those abusers, mother beat me up, they treat me like a swine, swearing, screaming all the time just because of BB.

but both parents drink a lot,so that is definately not a good idea.

I think your parents aregoing same direction mine were, trying to push everything under a rug. If they abuse you you better move out or they will destroy your mind in years, like they did mine.

Just my opinions, move away if they are abusers, you will benefit greatly. Get some psychological help, to halp you make that transition.

Just my opinion
Ihatemybreath
Master

Post by Ihatemybreath »

My friend just say to me that BB is a trivial thing, that EVERYBODY has it and I don't have to worry about it at all. Then I say ''YOU don't have it'' then he say stop being so depressing bout stupid things and again, everybody has is. Dude, BB is not trivial, it's not OK having BB. Don't try to comfort me this wayyyyyyyyyyy. It's not helping. And what a hypocrite cause one day this girl started a conversation with him about breath and he immediately started to sniff himself and check his breath and even asked her if he stinks. Not to worry, right?????? So why are you worrying?
Ihatemybreath
Master

Post by Ihatemybreath »

Oh, and he started to have a little of halitophobia now too, eventually checking his breath... Maybe this is the price in having a friend with halitosis
malory
Master
Post by malory »

I have to deal with this situation at home with my partner (and others). It creates so many arguments, but there is no way to convince somebody who lives in denial of your problem that denying its existence will make it go away. At first, I would say that people who deny the terrible effects of living with malodour are only trying to ease our pain, but I lose patience when I have tried so hard to explain to them:

- it is not helpful to tell lies about our odour because the general public won't tell us lies, and we just get confused and frustrated when we go out into the big, wide world and get treated as badly as we smell.
- it's useful to be surrounded by honest people so that we can gauge the efficacy of any interventions/diets/treatments we attempt. How many of us have abandoned an intervention because we felt it wasn't working when maybe it was? But we had nobody to ask ...
- denying the 'malodour problem' only makes it more taboo and, therefore, makes it seem a much bigger problem; we think 'my odour problem must be SO bad if nobody can talk about it openly ...'

And I agree that other sufferers may feel the same reluctance when it comes to giving us bad news. Fortunately, I have a fellow sufferer who, when he is able to smell me, will tell me so. He told me I emit a fecal odour which lasts about 5 seconds. Sometimes, I smell of compost. It is a great relief when somebody confirms what you already know. How patronising of our loved ones to assume we will fold and crumble if told the truth. How do they think we cope with each day? We are incredibly strong - the condition makes us so.

My advice: don't waste too much time trying to convince friends and relatives about how it is better to be honest and open about malodour. Just try to live life and enjoy it. One day things will get better and raising awareness will make this day come sooner.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic