Your Email Address:

First Name:

Why does it happen to good people?

Tell us your story with bad breath

Do you think people who offer you chewing gum/mints are rude?

yes
33%
No, thier trying to save you from embarrasment
56%
Dont know
11%

Total votes: 9

findacure
Master

Why does it happen to good people?

Post by findacure »

I have been suffering with bad breath from my school days... I don’t think it was as bad as it is now but I didn’t have much problem, until I got into college..

I would notice friends holding there nose while I spoke to them, but I put it all down to me maybe not brushing my teeth properly and flossing to. I would see people giggling and sniggering.. and I just knew it was about me.

Anyway i left college and got a job a receptionist, I would get some reactions from people then nothing from others i was very confused...but i then started to notice work colleagues grinning at each other while i spoke to one of them.. that’s when i thought ok there’s something wrong...

but the worst was yet to come... I met my first bf, he was gorgeous i was having second thoughts about being with him, i told him i just wanted to be friends as i didn’t want to get t close to him. anyway i gave in, and said yes...he tried to kiss me many times and i just didn’t want to, i was very embarrassed.. He would always ask "why don’t you want to kiss me", i use to tell him im not ready...i only could do this for so long...

I don’t go out unless its to a family member house or to work.

I work in a medium sized building and I think the whole building know about my bb, my colleagues make gestures to each other. I even get offered chewing gum and mints from strangers visiting the building...which i find to be rude

I cry almost everyday wanting my life to end, but im not on their verge of s*****e, even though i have been close. I’m just trying to adapted my life around it until i find a cure.
Last edited by findacure on Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Busted
God

Post by Busted »

I don't think they're rude, I mean they are trying to help u, but when they realize gum and mint doesn't work, they'll eventually stop offering you.

Btw chronic bb isn't really a problem for other people, but more like a problem from the person who suffers from it. If your bf is still with you, he isn't goin to like you any more or less because of it. fFor them it's not such a big deal, I'm tellin you, if your bf did mind, he would have packed his stuff a and left ages ago.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

Complete strangers don't offer me any gum or mint, it's usually those who are a bit closer who do it, but after they realize it doesn't work, they stop offering. The complete stlrangers just make those reactions e.g. covering their noses, but hell almost everyone does this.

They don't just offer me gum now that I think of it, they offer everyone who's there.
findacure
Master

RUDE or NOt!

Post by findacure »

Busted wrote:I don't think they're rude, I mean they are trying to help u, but when they realize gum and mint doesn't work, they'll eventually stop offering you.

Btw chronic bb isn't really a problem for other people, but more like a problem from the person who suffers from it. If your bf is still with you, he isn't goin to like you any more or less because of it. fFor them it's not such a big deal, I'm tellin you, if your bf did mind, he would have packed his stuff a and left ages ago.
I have read other message boards...where a husband stopped kissing his wife because of her bb. I have aslo read a wife writing in to an agony aunt stressing that her husband bb is ruining their sex life and she cant take it no longer. I could go on and on. It probably depends on the perons you are with. But re: people offering you mint/chewing gum...i think its inconsiderate when a stranger who doesnt even know you to offers you a mint, especailly when they dont pop one in thier mouth too, thier bascially saying "YOU HAVE BB".
KC
Junior

Post by KC »

My experience is whenever people offering me gum, they are also chewing it. So its not too hard feeling at all. And most of the time I will refuse it coz chewing gum makes my breath more worse. The most suffering is I saw people suffering when I talk. They really look like they can't breath. Of course some people are really mean that they giggling and try to humiliate you in different 'interesting' ways. Let me tell you my latest experience of it. I was in a car with a family (which I hate most) two weeks ago. When I told them some of my clients like to chat with me, they are so surprise and said " what! who? who chat with you?! they want to chat with you?!" they repeated the question for at least 5 times. They are also the first one dare to put a tooth brush poster on the wall in order to remind me I gotta brush my teeth. But anyway, I work for them for almost ten yrs already. So what I want to say, you gotta get used of it. I'm also frustrating everyday and worrying about my future. But that's life. Before we found the cure, we gotta train our mind to accept this ****ing illness.

Btw, I do believe my bb can transfer to certain kind of people. But I dunno why I can only transfer to those who don't mind about my bb. I really wish I can transfer it to this ****ing family and bad guys too.
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

KC wrote:My experience is whenever people offering me gum, they are also chewing it. So its not too hard feeling at all. And most of the time I will refuse it coz chewing gum makes my breath more worse. The most suffering is I saw people suffering when I talk. They really look like they can't breath. Of course some people are really mean that they giggling and try to humiliate you in different 'interesting' ways. Let me tell you my latest experience of it. I was in a car with a family (which I hate most) two weeks ago. When I told them some of my clients like to chat with me, they are so surprise and said " what! who? who chat with you?! they want to chat with you?!" they repeated the question for at least 5 times. They are also the first one dare to put a tooth brush poster on the wall in order to remind me I gotta brush my teeth. But anyway, I work for them for almost ten yrs already. So what I want to say, you gotta get used of it. I'm also frustrating everyday and worrying about my future. But that's life. Before we found the cure, we gotta train our mind to accept this ****ing illness.

Btw, I do believe my bb can transfer to certain kind of people. But I dunno why I can only transfer to those who don't mind about my bb. I really wish I can transfer it to this ****ing family and bad guys too.
Thats really cold if your family member make fun of you, i would have thouht thier the ones to give you the most surport. I work as a receptionist and i have to deal with talking strangers very day, i have kinda developed a technique where i can disguse my breath but i dont always get away with it! anyway one stranger just offered me a peice of chewing gum out of the blue..it took me back and i just thought what a thought less ass!
KC
Junior

Post by KC »

no, findacure, its not my family. My family members give me a lot of support.

Its another family which I work for them for 10 yrs. I work for them every week and they always humiliate my bb problem.
findacure
Master

People will never change!

Post by findacure »

KC wrote:no, findacure, its not my family. My family members give me a lot of support.

Its another family which I work for them for 10 yrs. I work for them every week and they always humiliate my bb problem.
You`ve worked with them for ten years and after all this time they still hound you about it! People are so ignorant, no feelings whatsoever.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

Welcome to the world, findacure.
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

Busted wrote:Welcome to the world, findacure.
And itsnt it just wonderful!!
kiki

Post by kiki »

Hello Newbie

I am really moved by your story, did you see a doctor yet? any bb has a cure dear once you know its cause
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

kiki wrote:Hello Newbie

I am really moved by your story, did you see a doctor yet? any bb has a cure dear once you know its cause
Thank you for reading my story... it has been really difficult for me...Yes i have been to my doctor- apparently its all in my mind...but dont they all say that...i hate it when they do! So its only you and the 5 dentists that cant smell it! What about the 50+ people that i speak to and get a bad reaction from....Its just not fare but im coping...im glad i found this site where i can meet people with the same problem...

Im hoping i find a cure and soon...x
hungrygirl
Advanced

Post by hungrygirl »

Lets start with ppl offering chewing gum!!
1st question is why do they have it? I have seen people who chew gum all the time and have no bb, but have all the signs of thinking they have it: not talking to your face, not establishing eye contact, trying not to talk at all, leaning back when they talk etc.
And then i see people chewing gum with all this and they do have bb.

I have not seen someone - who is confident to talk to your face at any time, and breath in to your face and laugh in to your face and talk loud no matter how close you are without turning a bit away or something like that etc - chewing a gum.

So, here is the story: these people have gum cos they are worried about their bb, and when talking to someone they have the need to chew on gum, but once they take a gum out IT IS ONLY POLITE TO ASK IF YOU ALSO WANT ONE!.

My own sister and her husband is like that. They always chew gum, and they confuse the hell out of everybody, cos every time they pop one they offer it to anyone around, and many ppl asked: why? do i stink?

Of course, she only told me that after i told her about my bb problem, and even tho i asked her about how do i smell, and she told me this story, for my biggest surprise, she has never asked me if she smells bad, which means to me that she thinks she does and doesnt have the courage to ask (as most of us dont).

Im not sure if i made any sense, but if someone has gum on hand you have to wonder why. I know i do it, if i feel i must chew one, i will have to offer it to the person next to me, cos its only polite, and it does not mean they stink.
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

hungrygirl wrote:Lets start with ppl offering chewing gum!!
1st question is why do they have it? I have seen people who chew gum all the time and have no bb, but have all the signs of thinking they have it: not talking to your face, not establishing eye contact, trying not to talk at all, leaning back when they talk etc.

I have not seen someone - who is confident to talk to your face at any time, and breath in to your face and laugh in to your face and talk loud no matter how close you are without turning a bit away or something like that etc - chewing a gum.

So, here is the story: these people have gum cos they are worried about their bb, and when talking to someone they have the need to chew on gum, but once they take a gum out IT IS ONLY POLITE TO ASK IF YOU ALSO WANT ONE!.

My own sister and her husband is like that. They always chew gum, and they confuse the hell out of everybody, cos every time they pop one they offer it to anyone around, and many ppl asked: why? do i stink?

Of course, she only told me that after i told her about my bb problem, and even tho i asked her about how do i smell, and she told me this story, for my biggest surprise, she has never asked me if she smells bad, which means to me that she thinks she does and doesnt have the courage to ask (as most of us dont).

Im not sure if i made any sense, but if someone has gum on hand you have to wonder why. I know i do it, if i feel i must chew one, i will have to offer it to the person next to me, cos its only polite, and it does not mean they stink.
Errr...yeah, i think i get what your saying....I have had people offer it to me and then put one in thier mouth...but i have had one occassion when this stranger as i was on reception just offered me a piece, even without popping one in his mouth...that clearly states to me hes saying you have BB. And i just thought he was inconsiderate...he obvisously didnt think about what he was doing...maybe i should have said "do you think i need one" then see his reaction.

Some people carry chewing gum, for after they eat...i remember seeing a guy on the bus.. and he was eating the greasiest Kebab, and when he was finsihed he popped in a chewing gum....

Even though chewing gum doesnt work for me i feel the need to carry some, i remember as i was shopping, i asked a lady to pass me a packet of chewing gum as i couldnt reach it, as sometime they put it at the till area...straight away she put her hand to her nose and i just thought to myself "yeah thats why need it!"......lol
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

hungrygirl wrote:Lets start with ppl offering chewing gum!!

I don't think you're makin any sense at all, most of the time when I see someone chew on a gum, it's because they like to get rid of the bad taste, and not because of the fact that they are afraid their breath doesn't smell good. Hell almost everyone on school was chewing on a gum. For them it was like smoking, but smoking is prohibited at school. As soon as they stepped outside school, they would grab a cigarette. It's been told that smoking makes their breath worse, it's not like they care.

And if that story about you never seein anyone look someone in the eye when they talk or never talk to someone from real close. Then chronic halitosis sufferers here on this forum wouldn't be seen as weirdos by others, cause that's what we tend to do: Keep our mouth shut when someone is really close to you, and when they are a bit further away we feel it's safe to say somethin. That's what makes them think we don't like them, because they get a bit closer and suddenly we don't say a thing anymore.

What u described there is more like a behaviour from someone here on this board, cause we know have bb, and other people don't feel comfortable bein around us when we say somethin. Other people don't, because no one ever told them about it.

Ya see there a big difference, if they have bb, they brush their teeth and they have fresh breath. If we chronic halitosis sufferers brush are teeth, we still have bb. We can brush our teeth 100 times a day, we still have it. Maybe we got a disease, who knows?

So most likely if someone told u that u have bb, and you just finished brushing your teeth, then you can be categorized as a chronic halitosis sufferer. Same thing with chewing a gum.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic