Your Email Address:

First Name:

saliva PH

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
yarahe

saliva PH

Post by yarahe »

hi

i read that normal saliva ph is 6.8-7

my ph is 8.5

i think that anaerobic bacteria thrive in such an alkaline ph because when the saliva and the mouth acidic it kills the bacteria.

does anyone knows what can i do to balance the ph? what it says about the digestive system?

ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

how did you test your saliva?

if you do a search for "aspirin" on here, searching is a member who talked about its use.
Crystle
Total Newbie

Post by Crystle »

From what I have read, you saliva should be very slightly alkaline, around 7.5 is good.

I have read around this issue and personally now think that acid ph is bad. You need to introduce oxygen into your mouth to kill of the anaerobic bacteria, which is why people recommend hydrogen peroxide as a mouth wash.

Think of your mouth like a pond. A pond with no oxygen will stink (too much hydrogen and not enough oxygen to soak it up).

You can test your saliva easily with litmus strips available at the chemist. You can make your mouth more alkaline easily using bicarbonate of soda and make it more acid with citric acid or even coffee.
yarahe

Post by yarahe »

i've checked with ph stripes.
my saliva is ph is 8.5-9 and that is the reason for my bb i guess.

i did an easy test yesterday. i've brushed my tongue with fresh lemon juice and to lower my ph and my tongue was odorless.

i need to see what causes my saliva be so alkaline.
if anyone has information or knowledge about it please share.

i'm thinking about B vitamin defficiency. considering trying B complex.
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

if pH enhances then reduction potential (Eh) declines under zero. Anaerobes need to grow with negative Eh potentials, like -200 mVolt or -300 mVolts

Oxygen, metals (Ag, Zn etc), acidic additives decrease pH, and increase Eh
-Murat Aydin
Crystle
Total Newbie

Post by Crystle »

Murat: Do you think that saliva pH has any effect on halitosis? do you think that by keeping your saliva pH within a certain range, the growth of anaerobic bacteria can be inhibited? if so, what range would that be?
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

Crystle wrote:Murat: Do you think that saliva pH has any effect on halitosis? do you think that by keeping your saliva pH within a certain range, the growth of anaerobic bacteria can be inhibited? if so, what range would that be?
There is a interaction between halitosis and saliva pH. Perhaps Type 1 halitosis makes it alkaline, or in opposite direction, alkalin saliva makes Type 1 halitosis. I think, it depends on redox reaction on mucosal surfaces.

Metals (Zn, Ag, etc) or O ions restore the problem.
-Murat Aydin
yarahe

Post by yarahe »

aydinmur wrote:
Crystle wrote:Murat: Do you think that saliva pH has any effect on halitosis? do you think that by keeping your saliva pH within a certain range, the growth of anaerobic bacteria can be inhibited? if so, what range would that be?
There is a interaction between halitosis and saliva pH. Perhaps Type 1 halitosis makes it alkaline, or in opposite direction, alkalin saliva makes Type 1 halitosis. I think, it depends on redox reaction on mucosal surfaces.

Metals (Zn, Ag, etc) or O ions restore the problem.
-Murat Aydin
hi,

what you say here is very interesting with respect to me becuase i think that my alkaline saliva causes my bad breath.

i can say that i saw a doctor in my country that specialize in the problem of bad breath and he gave me 3 weeks flavozinc (zinc lozenges) 3 times a day. and it helped me but after i stopped it the bad breath returned.

can you be more specific with what you say "O ions" and "metals".
i guess i can take some supplements but i don't know which supplement to restore the problem. zinc lozenges helped me when i took it in high doses (almost 70 mg per day).

can you be more specific and give more suggestions for O ions and metals that i can take?

you give me hope.
Crystle
Total Newbie

Post by Crystle »

when you say alkaline, above which pH do you mean? above pH 7.5?

The other thing I am confused about is, why do people recommend baking powder (bicarbonate of soda) toothpastes, when this causes the saliva pH to go very alkaline and therefore potentially worsening the problem?
yarahe

Post by yarahe »

Crystle wrote:when you say alkaline, above which pH do you mean? above pH 7.5?

The other thing I am confused about is, why do people recommend baking powder (bicarbonate of soda) toothpastes, when this causes the saliva pH to go very alkaline and therefore potentially worsening the problem?
alkaline is ph>7

i don't know why people recommend baking soda, i guess murat can tell about it. but for me baking soda does not help
Crystle
Total Newbie

Post by Crystle »

I meant how alkaline does the saliva have to be in order to encourage anaerobic bacteria. I have read that healthy saliva can be slightly alkaline (around pH 7.5).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic