Your Email Address:

First Name:

Important!! Pl read. Cure found but Cause unknown

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
SuddenBB

Important!! Pl read. Cure found but Cause unknown

Post by SuddenBB »

I have been waiting to write this post. Some us write about cures prematurely. First let me collect my post, because some notes i made in those posts are important.

Post on Oct 10, 2013:

Hi, I'm a 27 yr old male. I started suffering from BB or from what I could tell is 5 months (May, 2013). The first two months we're good and bad days. I've never been able to smell my mouth odor being fowl but by the reactions I get, I know it stinks. The reaction are nose touching, clearing of throat.

But I can smell this fecal odor from my nose. Especially after I smoke. It isn't smoke smell completely. It smell like tonsil stones except not as strong or actually mouldy. People can also smell it even if my mouth is closed.

I did ingest coke twice from April to May, 2013. I've had GERD and duodenitis and ulcers from 2011 because of my drinking but never had bad breath.

I'll give you the pattern BB took with me:

5th May realized I had a problem during an interview. At this time I had 2 rotten molars on my left side and on my right side I had no 3rd molar. All wisdom teeth out.

End of May - In the office I started getting reactions

My BB at this point was still controllable.

30th June - At a party ingested coke - nasal

Had a runny nose for the next two weeks.

July 10th - Started my dental treatment - My first sitting for root canal (2nd left lower molar). Implant next sitting - 11th

July 12th - 2nd sitting root canal(2nd left lower molar). 18th Extraction of lower left 3rd molar. I didn't follow after-extraction-instructions that well though I got no dry socket. Thank god.

On 22nd I noticed a white coating on the back of my tongue. Asked the dentist during the follow up time whether it was thrush but they said no it isn't.

Ever since my dental treatment started, my BB condition got worse. Firstly I couldn't chew my food well.

on 25th I got myself tested for Aids(negative) and saw an ENT. He asked for a xray of my sinuses and said I have sinusitis. He gave me a decongestant, probiotic, anti-allergy medicine. Things didn't get better.

Mind you though I'm allergic to dust, i've never suffered from sinusitis.

By now - even when I went for an interview and gargled with mouthwash, 5 mins later I'd be smelling by the reactions. I could never smell it.

20th August - saw my ENT again. The tongue hadn't gotten better. My mouth was drier. Whatever I ate, the tongue took on that color.

By August the smell was pretty bad by reactions. People couldn't ride in a car without the windows down. The runny nose was better but still runny.

I quit my job on the 23rd of August. Because I was to go for post grad studies which I've deferred now.

I'm regular in my bowel. Atleast 2 to 3 times a day. On 15th September I noticed undigested food particles in my stool and steatorrhea like ragged edged stool.

My diet has been much better after I quit my job. I started having more veggies. Drinking no coffee. But I often found undigested food particles.

I started gargling with salt water and my tongue became much better. Though at the base i still had a small white patch which wouldn't go.

17th September I got an endoscopy done and asked them to check for H pylori. - Result - H pylori positive - Fundus, antrum and stomach show erythema - Large Hiatus Hernia

I took the triple antibiotic treatment - 10 days. I have to get myself tested for it again.

23rd September noticed my left tonsil bigger than my right.

During this time I would have bowel movements quite often. I would also feel less tired.

My tongue coating reduced drastically. During the time I was taking the antibiotics, the stench seem to reduce, according to the reactions I was getting.

1st October got two tonsil stones out while brushing deep.

5th Oct - Sinus CT Results - Polypoidal opacities within left maxillary antrum with partially opacified ethmoid air cells. Right side is fine.

ENT says that polyp is small and no need to operate and also says that this can't be the cause of BB. He suggested a tonsillectomy. Though the smell has gotten better. Its still there.

One thing that has made things better is salt water gargling, especially my tongue but my nose smell is still there.

I also went to another dentist because my lower gums have turned purple, but the dentist said it was pigmentation. I have no cavities. My implant crown will we put this month end.

I personally only get this weird smell which isn't that strong. The fecal smell I get is from the nose.

My runny nose is much better. My stool is becoming more solid. BB is definitely better. Nose odor a little better.

I have a few questions?

Does my left nostril/ sinus symptoms and left enlarged tonsil have a connection.

Do my PNS CT findings reveal a cause?

How come I can smell my nose odor but not from my mouth.(I close my mouth an exhale from my nose and then smell it to know the odor. Then I do it vice versa to check.)

I've read that tonsillectomy doesn't cure BB often.

What should I do?

Oct 11th, 2013:

Update

Went to another dentist, than my usual, to check how was treatment going. She said the work is going on just fine, i'm healing well.

Asked her whether there is a connection between the left tonsil, left side treatment and left polypoidal opacity in the left sinus. She said its just a coincidence.

I asked her how I smell and whats the origin? She said smoke and it could be GERD. But I told her I had just brushed. I think she wasn't being straight. It is never nice to say you smell of shit.

The coating was uniform, from the back to the middle part of the tongue. Now its only at the converging part of the base of the tongue area. A small patch which I can't reach properly. The tongue is much better now. The grow back - build up of the white film is thinner now.

I feel there is a connection between left tonsil and left sinus findings.

The dentist said that all my dental work is going fine and gave me a Chlorhexidine mouth wash.

She also took and x ray of the root canal tooth and she said all was fine. They missed no canals or anything. Healing fine.

She suggested I go in for a scaling and polishing. There is slight discoloration because of years of smoking(9 yrs).

I get this weird smell from my mouth, which at best i can describe it as humid and mouldy.

The nose odor is mouldy and smoky.

I've asked my ENT whether he can smell anything from the nose and he said no and neither my mouth. I know my BB is much better now but i still need to know the origin of it to get the root and be sure. The doctor was lying through his teeth and since it was private, he kept on suggesting different thing. He asked me to get a tonsillectomy. This was in the month of August Cheat

I don't want to unnecessarily go in for surgery. I really have a feeling its a fungal/ bacterial infection.

Also I find undigested food particles in my stool though I'm regular of bowel. Maybe that can be a cause.

I'm lactose semi intolerant. But there isn't any dairy in my diet. Veggies, fish and meat only.

I was H Pylori +. I'll get myself tested again. That can be a cause but I highly doubt it.

I also started swimming in the summer. Maybe there might me a bacterial infection because of that.

Maybe there are sinoliths in my sinuses. The mouth has been ruled out except for the small patch of white tongue.

Oct 17th, 2013:

Hi sorry for the late update

Ok the chlorhexidine is working in my mouth. My mouth bacterial flora is much better. My saliva production is better. The white tongue development has reduced. The stubborn patch is still there at the base of the tongue.

I think the topical administration of the mouthwash has helped.

I need to get myself checked for SIBO and other things.

The smell from the nose is still there. I strongly feel its a bacterial infection in my nose. Because after applying the mouthwash, my tongue feels better. I think the imbalanced mouth flora was because of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.

What do I do about my nose smell? Is the nose smell because of bacterial infection? I feel my CT scan polyps and sinusitis (which I've never had before) are because of the bacterial infection.

I think the bacterial infection can be for two reasons.

1) Mouth - Due to unhygienic treatment during the dental procedures

2) Nose - In my nose due to snorting bad coke.

I think hypertension is also a cause because my tongue turns a little white after I meet people. And when I meet people, I'm always tense and conscious. But the nose is more of a problem than my mouth now.

Maybe some topical administration will help because a saline spray hasn't helped at all.

p.s. chlorhexidine is good for bacteria laden tongues that are causing odor but it still hasn't been able to completely remove the small white patch at the back of the tongue.

THE SMELL IS OF TOBACCO that comes from the nose, esp after I smoke. My mouth odor which is less musty now, is better.

Posted on Nov 27th, 2013:

Has anyone had a swab culture of their tongue coating. I'm planning to do one soon this week.

I've kept a time line of my tongue coating. First noticed it on 16th July. My dental treatment started on the 10th of July. Never had a coating before that. Also my mouth started producing less saliva - xerostomia. The coating became intensely worse until I got myself tested for H pylori.

Once I started the triple antibiotic therapy which Amox+Clarithomycin+PPI the tongue coating decreased and the bad breath decreased. The chlorhexedine also helped but very little. But the coating is still there but considerably less. Saliva production increased slightly.

Amox works both on gram positive and gram negative, but mostly gram positive.

Clarithomycin works on mostly gram negative i think.

I know one of these worked. By their action I'm trying to detect whether the coating is gram + or gram -ve

Dec 2nd, 2013:

Culture test done - Result in 48 hrs

Ok got the tests done.

One was saliva culture.

Second was sputum culture.

Third was the tongue coating culture.

Results will come in 48 hrs. Will post them.

Dec 15th, 2013:

Guys the results came back as sterile and no pathogens found.

Btw I've started an Amox+Clarithromycin + PPI and it has significantly decreased the coating and odor. I'm taking this medication without a doctor's advice. Just by me experience. So far its been good. The coating has thinned out. The smell is less but the coating hasn't gone completely.

March 30, 2014:

Hi guys and girls, its been a while since I came on here. Why? Because I've been getting better both with my situation with bad breath but also my digestion.

I have already stated my past in posts before. To read, please click on the link below.

For tongue coating experience - Very significantly connected to my bad breath and digestionhttp://www.badbreathhalitosis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5767

Stomach, Gut and Bad Breath - very connected viewtopic.php?t=5850&highlight=

My story - viewtopic.php?t=5697&highlight=

Ok, once you read those posts, you"ll realise that I've been having bad breath from July 2013. My tongue was white and my tongue was hardly producing saliva.

So in Jan 2014, after getting my molar extracted which had a root canal done, the bad breath was still there. So at the end of the month a Gastro scheduled a colonoscopy, after hearing that I had blood in my stool, tenderness around my stomach and white tongue.

I thought maybe the doctor was smart because he made a connection between white tongue formation and bad colon health. So I had one, and surprise, surprise, I had UC with left colon losing vascular formation and infiltration of colon cells.

So Feb 1, I was prescribed Mesalazine 800, a probiotic, Cyra D and Colonospa.

So I started taking the medicine. I decided to get myself tested for H Pylori through stool test, which came back negative. I met my doctor for a follow up and asked whether I could go on the H pylori kit, since I was already taking a ppi and a probiotic. He refused, saying it will give me loose motions.

Around 15th Feb, I decided to take them anyway. This was Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin. On the second day, my bad breath went away quite a bit, but my nose odor stuck on, and my tongue didn't develop the heavy tongue coating which I had for 8 months. I continued taking the meds, but the bad breath came back again and the tongue coating.

I carried on with the medication and the bad breath slowly started decreasing and so did the tongue coating. Now its March 30th and my tongue coating has reduced a lot. People have stopped rubbing their nose. And to check my progress, I stopped using mouthwash, hydrogen peroxide, ACV so that I wanted to see if people would react when I would talk to them. The nose rubbing reaction is something I hardly see, and this is speaking to someone half a feet away and closer.

I have been taking the medication for 1.5 months. A normal course is for 14 days.

Changes I've noticed.

My mouth has started producing saliva like before. I don't see much undigested food particles. This is because, when you don't produce enough saliva, food can start breaking down in the mouth and so much of it passes undigested or putrefies in the colon.
Bad breath produced in the body/sinuses will be the type that fills up the room. If you have bad breath due to a oral condition, then the length of the smell that it will travel to would be less than even a feet. That indicated an oral cause. More the distance, bad breath can travel, more the indication that it has a non oral condition.

I take 1000mg of Clarithro
750 mg of Amox
A ppi and probiotic

Changes felt, I can smell my breath less and so can most people. My food is digesting better. More saliva. Girl trying to hit on me now in the office. A month back they'd cough when they saw me just to be mean. My new office people are very small minded. They cough whenever I come. Now since I smell less, there are only two or three people who cough persistently to make me feel bad but It doesn't bother me, since I'm feeling much better.

I've also noticed that when I drink or when I smoke a joint with a chewing gum. I have a stronger coating on the tongue or when I talk a lot. This might be due to my stomach or due to dry mouth as a consequence of drinking. I drank yesterday and I have a coating today, but its even less than the times I didn't drink and had that severe coating, last seen in Jan. I haven't even brushed till now.

The caution part is that I'm taking strong medication for about 1.5 months. The first time I took this medication for 10 days in Sept and though my coating decreased a lot, but it didn't go. Everyday I see a difference in my coating, as in it decrease. I have been very patient this time around. The only thing I do is brush in the morning with toothpaste and brush my tongue with sodium bicarbonate. I have been using sodium bicarbonate for 5 months but only in the morning.

I noticed also that, if smoke, I develop a slight coating. It develops less now. Much less after medication.

I hope this helps someone. I didn't want to post before because I didn't want to judge prematurely. I'm going to take the meds for another 2 weeks and post again.

Only downside, the medication costs me $ 200 a month but its worth it.

My only advice, be patient. Be very patient and keep trying.

July 13, 2014:

Ok so I'm a little high so I will post this in parts.

Recently (April 6th, 2014), I shifted my apartment. I used to stay on the ground floor. There was very less sunshine which would come, because the house in front would cover it. I had been living there in the house from September, 2012.

Now I had seen mould growing on the toilet bowl and sink, but I couldn't realise it. The room was humid too.

Please be patient. I will finish the post tomo. Rem, the key is to be patient and observe. Trust me about the cure.