Your Email Address:

First Name:

Symptoms sound CRAZY - but true.

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
BBad

Symptoms sound CRAZY - but true.

Post by BBad »

Hello, ive been suffering with BB since I can remember (about 12 years old).

I can smell my own BB if I move the jaw a bit out and breath the air into my nose.
The interesting thing is now, that my tongue doesn't stink (edit: it does, but only if there is less saliva than usual). It has to be from my lungs or my stomach. (although I heard you can't smell yourself if its from lungs?!).

My symptoms:

- no nose bb
- salty, fishy, bitter (like old people), chemical, and sometimes fecal smell (it is chemical fishy most of the time and fecal when I haven't much saliva flow. also it is more fecal when I sit than when I lie)
- sometimes no smell at all
- less smell when I smoke weed lol
- very bad fecal smell when i drink alcohol
- after eating only smell of what I eat, but after a few hours the bb again
- smell is manageable but still noticeable (it spreads only maybe 10cm)
- light pnd -> constant throat cleaning (but nearly no smelly tongue)
- no luctose, fructose intollerance (had a sibo test done->negative)
- hpylori negative
- light autoimmune gastritis (though I dont think this is the cause)
- weak LES (I also don't think this is the cause)
- antibiotics like amoxicillin cure my bb 100% - but temporarily only (interesting thing is
that amoxicillin is against aerobes and aerobes aren't smelly as anaerobes)
- i can eat 10 eggs and breath doesn't worsen -> probably no TMAU
- teeth & gums are 99% fine (assumption by pressing on them and smelling)
- had deviated septum surgery & tonsillectomy -> no result

I just can't understand why some people have "genetical" bb and others are completely bb free. I will make it my life goal to solve this problem for me and for you all - even if it takes a medicine degree.

Is it possible that it has to do something with genetical bacterial flora in the mouth or colon?

What would you look into?
Last edited by BBad on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

DeliVrance
Total Newbie

Not Crazy

Post by DeliVrance »

Some of ur systoms are exactly like mine. The way u smell ur breath is exactly how I smell mine. My only differance is I don't have a deviated septum and no PND. I never have to clear my throat and I never feel anything behind my throat. I believe my bb is cause by bacterial imbalance and I have no idea why. I say its cause of bacterial imbalance cause when I used anti bacterial product orally bb is better. I am so tired of this bb now. I am lost on what to do next! ](*,)
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi, how did you get rid of your tongue odour? (sorry if you've already mentioned this in another post).

I also use that jaw-out method to gauge my breath, but I wonder how accurate this is and I wonder how many other people could be using it too and wrongly assuming they have bad breath because of a bad smell when doing this test. It would be an interesting question to put to Dr. Aydinmur. I can always remember my sister doing this breath test method and talking about BB and obsessing about it quite a bit, but yet her breath never smelled of anything, so I wonder how accurate that is as a gauge of BB?

Btw, if Amoxicillin gets rid of your BB while you are taking it, you could take low dose of this indefinitely, providing it continues to prevent BB. People who are susceptible to bladder infections, for example, are usually given a lower than normal "prophylactic" dose like 200mg once a day to help prevent bladder infections recurring. It might be worth speaking to your doctor about this. Another interesting point that that if you have a stinking tooth that you perhaps don't know about, amoxicillin is very good at keeping that rot under control, so this might be a clue to you if there's a filling or a crown or root canal that needs doing again.
BBad

Post by BBad »

DeliVrance wrote:Some of ur systoms are exactly like mine. The way u smell ur breath is exactly how I smell mine. My only differance is I don't have a deviated septum and no PND. I never have to clear my throat and I never feel anything behind my throat. I believe my bb is cause by bacterial imbalance and I have no idea why. I say its cause of bacterial imbalance cause when I used anti bacterial product orally bb is better. I am so tired of this bb now. I am lost on what to do next! ](*,)
Could you maybe describe your symptoms (which exactly are similar)? Also I am interested in how you would classify your own smell.
Mine has a very light fecal component, but mainly this strange chemical fishy smell.
halitosisux wrote:Hi, how did you get rid of your tongue odour? (sorry if you've already mentioned this in another post).

I also use that jaw-out method to gauge my breath, but I wonder how accurate this is and I wonder how many other people could be using it too and wrongly assuming they have bad breath because of a bad smell when doing this test. It would be an interesting question to put to Dr. Aydinmur. I can always remember my sister doing this breath test method and talking about BB and obsessing about it quite a bit, but yet her breath never smelled of anything, so I wonder how accurate that is as a gauge of BB?

Btw, if Amoxicillin gets rid of your BB while you are taking it, you could take low dose of this indefinitely, providing it continues to prevent BB. People who are susceptible to bladder infections, for example, are usually given a lower than normal "prophylactic" dose like 200mg once a day to help prevent bladder infections recurring. It might be worth speaking to your doctor about this. Another interesting point that that if you have a stinking tooth that you perhaps don't know about, amoxicillin is very good at keeping that rot under control, so this might be a clue to you if there's a filling or a crown or root canal that needs doing again.
Yes I wonder too how accurate that is. I never get much responses (only sometimes so I am pretty sure people CAN smell it), but I think this is because I learned to handle the BB and talk in a way that people cant smell my breath - you know, not talking to their face, always drinking, eating to mask etc.

I will take a research on taking amoxicillin indefinitely and whether this would lead to a bacterial transformation.

About the tooth: I have the BB since I can remember, but I guess my wisdom teeth only grew when I was older?! Also, if I rub on them or on the gums, it doesn't stink. Is this actually a valid conclusion to be sure they aren't the cause?

Thanks for the comments!
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

You're welcome! and thanks for acknowledging my comments.
On the issue of a tooth potentially causing the odour, if amoxicillin is getting rid of your BB by any kind of action in your mouth, two possible ways it might be achieving this is by controlling the normal bacterial activity in your mouth in ways that are somehow managing to give you clean breath, or you have some kind of abnormal situation like a gum problem, or an actual infection situation, such as a tooth itself being infected/rotten (a failed filling or crown for example). I can't say with any certainty, but a rotten tooth might not have any odour on rubbing, but it might be releasing foulness into your mouth, causing it to smell, or directly as odour into your breath. A rotting situation in your mouth could also lead to it hosting bacteria which wouldn't otherwise be thriving in there, and begin promoting other unfavourable bacteria to inhabit your mouth.

These are just some thoughts on what might be happening.
DeliVrance
Total Newbie

un huh

Post by DeliVrance »

@Bbad, mine systoms: no nasal bb, no PND, i been to the dentist many times and they alway says my teeths, my gums are fine. I had braces when I was younger and I had to go to dentist ev every month. No mention of any gums or teeth problems what so ever. I am always playing around with my teeths and include wisdom teeths and no matter how hard I rug I never notice any smell of them. Before I used the mouth wash chlorhexedine it used to be a rotten egg smell. After I would describe it as a smell of someone who just eat a cheeseburger with onions, pickles, cheese. I know it very unpleassant cause when I smell it on other people its very unpleassant to me. And like u sometimes the smell is not there i know that cause when I do the jaw out test I don't smell it. But its only when I stay away from sugary and other smelly things like onions and stuff like that. My bb might be coming from my throat and tung cause it seems like gums and teeths are ok!
BBad

Re: un huh

Post by BBad »

halitosisux wrote:You're welcome! and thanks for acknowledging my comments.
On the issue of a tooth potentially causing the odour, if amoxicillin is getting rid of your BB by any kind of action in your mouth, two possible ways it might be achieving this is by controlling the normal bacterial activity in your mouth in ways that are somehow managing to give you clean breath, or you have some kind of abnormal situation like a gum problem, or an actual infection situation, such as a tooth itself being infected/rotten (a failed filling or crown for example). I can't say with any certainty, but a rotten tooth might not have any odour on rubbing, but it might be releasing foulness into your mouth, causing it to smell, or directly as odour into your breath. A rotting situation in your mouth could also lead to it hosting bacteria which wouldn't otherwise be thriving in there, and begin promoting other unfavourable bacteria to inhabit your mouth.

These are just some thoughts on what might be happening.
Hm, somehow I think teeth odour would cause the tongue to stink. I suspect my breath from somewhere within - maybe the liver? colon?

One question though, do you think I can exclude lung bb as a cause because I haven't any nasal bb?
DeliVrance wrote:@Bbad, mine systoms: no nasal bb, no PND, i been to the dentist many times and they alway says my teeths, my gums are fine. I had braces when I was younger and I had to go to dentist ev every month. No mention of any gums or teeth problems what so ever. I am always playing around with my teeths and include wisdom teeths and no matter how hard I rug I never notice any smell of them. Before I used the mouth wash chlorhexedine it used to be a rotten egg smell. After I would describe it as a smell of someone who just eat a cheeseburger with onions, pickles, cheese. I know it very unpleassant cause when I smell it on other people its very unpleassant to me. And like u sometimes the smell is not there i know that cause when I do the jaw out test I don't smell it. But its only when I stay away from sugary and other smelly things like onions and stuff like that. My bb might be coming from my throat and tung cause it seems like gums and teeths are ok!
Sounds very similar. I am pretty sure my mouth is 100% fine. I have nearly no tongue odour and my teeth and gums are also fine.

How I would classify my smell is like salty, bitter, chemical and somehow like old people smell. Any idea on what it might have as a cause?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

A tooth odour is very likely to make the tongue smell bad, but it might not - Nothing's certain. Most of us on here who have ever had tongue odours and who have tried scraping that gunk off have all agreed that it smells of nothing when you try to sniff it. That would take some explaining.

If your BB is caused by some systemic issue from your organs, it has just as much chance of making your tongue smell bad as any tooth issue could (if it causes blood borne chemicals to be secreted in your saliva for example). The liver/kidneys/colon etc can all cause bad breath. The only thing you can do is have checks to make sure it's not because there is something wrong with you affecting those organs or something wrong with those organs themselves. And then you are faced with the unknown problems which have yet to be identified. We could sit here speculating all day long, but it won't give us the actual answers. We have to go out there and get as much help as we possibly can in the hope of identifying an acual cause.

You could exclude lung BB if you don't have nasal BB, but only if you have a way of knowing for certain you don't have nasal BB and DO have mouth BB. I'm not sure how much this will narrow things down for you though.
sandspiegel
Junior

Post by sandspiegel »

I also do this jaw out and releasing air into the nose test all the time. When I was about 12 or so and did that I could also smell my own breath and it did stink pretty bad. In my case it wasn't imaginary (or halitophoby) because I clearly got reactions and some people even told me. There is nothing more embarrassing for me if someone tells me in front of other people that I have bb. I really learned a painful lesson there when some dude said it in front of the whole class when I was about 12.
I have a bad smelling tongue when I don't do something about it. Right now I'm holding myself above water with Tung Brush + Gel. It helps with the tongue odor. However in the last months I discovered that I have tonsil stones and that my tonsils were packed full of them. I was able to get rid of them with a syringe, by spraying water or mouthwash in all Holes of my tonsils. Before I used the syringe I had a disgusting taste in my throat whenever I would swallow and when I would do the jaw out breath test I could smell a fecal smell for about 5 seconds, then the fecal smell would disappear. However, when I would drink something and immediately talk afterwards my breath would also have this fecal smell which caused me some embarrassing moments when I would have a beer with my friends at some bar.
Since I am using the syringe the disgusting taste after swallowing disappeared but when I swallow and do the jaw out breath test, I still can sense a change in smell of my breath. Not as bad as before but still.
I guess this means that I haven't got rid of all tonsil stones or that the problem comes elsewhere. The problem is that I don't know where to look anymore.
BBad

Post by BBad »

sandspiegel wrote:I also do this jaw out and releasing air into the nose test all the time. When I was about 12 or so and did that I could also smell my own breath and it did stink pretty bad. In my case it wasn't imaginary (or halitophoby) because I clearly got reactions and some people even told me. There is nothing more embarrassing for me if someone tells me in front of other people that I have bb. I really learned a painful lesson there when some dude said it in front of the whole class when I was about 12.
I have a bad smelling tongue when I don't do something about it. Right now I'm holding myself above water with Tung Brush + Gel. It helps with the tongue odor. However in the last months I discovered that I have tonsil stones and that my tonsils were packed full of them. I was able to get rid of them with a syringe, by spraying water or mouthwash in all Holes of my tonsils. Before I used the syringe I had a disgusting taste in my throat whenever I would swallow and when I would do the jaw out breath test I could smell a fecal smell for about 5 seconds, then the fecal smell would disappear. However, when I would drink something and immediately talk afterwards my breath would also have this fecal smell which caused me some embarrassing moments when I would have a beer with my friends at some bar.
Since I am using the syringe the disgusting taste after swallowing disappeared but when I swallow and do the jaw out breath test, I still can sense a change in smell of my breath. Not as bad as before but still.
I guess this means that I haven't got rid of all tonsil stones or that the problem comes elsewhere. The problem is that I don't know where to look anymore.
Hm, I guess the cause for your breath is your stomach/colon, I don't think its the tonsils.
I have my tonsils taken out, because I thought it was the cause for my breath - but as for most of the people who got the tonsils taken out - it didn't cured my breath.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic