Your Email Address:

First Name:

11 days post tonsillectomy & things are looking up

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
NastyMouth
Total Newbie

11 days post tonsillectomy & things are looking up

Post by NastyMouth »

Well I had my tonsillectomy. I only occasionally would get tonsil stones but I wanted to knock this off my cure list. I have room filling crap breath that has progressively gotten worse since I was a teenager. It is BAD. For a week post tonsillectomy I had a WHTE WHITE coating on my tongue and my breath was even worse than normal. I cried and cried. Well come day 10 my tongue is PINK!!!!! 100% PINK! It hasn't had a touch of white even after a meal in 2 days. My tongue has always had a coating even 5 minutes after my oral heigine routine. I haven't had many chance to test reactions from people but I am crossing my fingers. I guess even if I am not cured it is nice having a pink tongue.

jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

good luck. I hope it cures you.
Quite a few people are cured of bad breath with a tonsilectomy. Not everyone though, unfortunately.
I'd love a tonsilectomy, but my doctor won't refer me, but one day i plan to take a loan out or something to get it done privately.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

jackson wrote:Quite a few people are cured of bad breath with a tonsilectomy.
I don't know anyone who has actually been cured following a tonsillectomy. Every person who I'm aware of on here that has ever given feedback on pre/post tonsillectomy has found that in time their BB is mostly no different. Perhaps some of them did get cured and just left though, but not the ones who gave the feedback. A lot of people thought they were cured initially because they were given antibiotics at the same time, and when that wore off the BB came back.

Maybe when a person has a huge trapped tonsil stone giving off it's own stench or the tonsil(s) have something clearly wrong with them (apart from just being crypted) then that will make some significant difference.

Sorry to be so depressing, but I think the message is quite clear when you read through this forum, that tonsil stones/tonsil odour are either normal issues that even non-BB sufferers experience, or they are simply the result of actually having BB for other unrelated reasons. I still think tonsil stones are nothing other than a cheese-grating effect of the tonsil crypts grating the surface of the tongue when talking/swallowing etc, and that this gunk then slowly builds up inside the crypts which then gradually calcifies into stones. The same thing goes on between the teeth, that's why the smell of the crap when you floss teeth is almost identical to tonsil stones. I may be wrong though, but that's the only explanation that makes sense to me, having had tonsils/tonsil stones/tonsillectomy/BB and then no more BB after dealing with an unrelated issue.
NastyMouth
Total Newbie

Post by NastyMouth »

I agree halitosux....I did my share of research pre-surgery and was well aware it was most likely a pointless surgery.

On the upside I was NOT given antibiotics. I woke up this morning tongue perfectly pink! I know this isn't clearly a sign of being bb free but if I have 1% hope I will take it!

Will definitely update :)
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I certainly hope you will prove me wrong and I wish you the very best of luck. Sorry for not saying so earlier, I got carried away and ran out of time and had to go.

It's definitely not a totally pointless surgery. If it's only your palatine tonsils producing the stones then at least you'll never had to see one again. You'll no longer get that awful taste and and foul feeling in your throat each time you swallow.

Even if it's only a psychological benefit, you'll feel cleaner with the tonsils gone.

Have you resumed your full oral hygiene routines? Perhaps the pink tongue is from having taken a break from them? Maybe it is solely due to the tonsillectomy. I hope so. Yes please keep us informed!
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

halitosisux wrote: I don't know anyone who has actually been cured following a tonsillectomy.
You're forgetting 'Notanymore', you stickied his thread. Although he got cured after having his lingual tonsils removed which is very rare as opposed to palatine tonsils.

viewtopic.php?p=52978#52978

And he had his adenoids and palatine tonsils removed when he was a child.

I need to do some research on lingual tonsils as a cause of bb, it is my strongest lead at the moment.

Check this out http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... llion.html
NastyMouth
Total Newbie

Post by NastyMouth »

Yes I resumed my oral care right away. Obviously I couldn't do as good of a job as I can now. A week in I had a THICK coat of white that I was able to brush off that smelled just like poop - horrible!!! Now again today my tongue is pink & moist. I eat whatever I want but smaller portions since I did lose weight post op.

My husband will NEVER admit to me that I have/had bad breath so he says my mouth smells like nothing but he cannot be trusted hah! (Trust me when I say I could have probably won a BB contest!!!!)

My 6 year old son says I smell like bug blood - ummm? he too doesn't want to hurt my feelings.

I just wish I had someone to ask uggg.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

NOTANYMORE wrote:In other words, life is better than it was before the surgery but the overall problem still exists.
Archi, from what I appear to have understood from his/her recent posting later on in that thread, it turns out that the lingual tonsil surgery has not been the answer to the bad breath problem and that LPR/reflux is the underlying problem.

Yes, tonsillectomy has a 1% risk of death from the general anaesthetic, let alone from bleeding to death from nearby arteries.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

NastyMouth wrote:Yes I resumed my oral care right away. Obviously I couldn't do as good of a job as I can now. A week in I had a THICK coat of white that I was able to brush off that smelled just like poop - horrible!!! Now again today my tongue is pink & moist. I eat whatever I want but smaller portions since I did lose weight post op.

My husband will NEVER admit to me that I have/had bad breath so he says my mouth smells like nothing but he cannot be trusted hah! (Trust me when I say I could have probably won a BB contest!!!!)

My 6 year old son says I smell like bug blood - ummm? he too doesn't want to hurt my feelings.

I just wish I had someone to ask uggg.
Wait and see and fingers crossed, maybe your tonsils were the cause, not just because of the tonsil stones. If your 6 year old has ever told you your breath is bad, then hope they'll feel able to tell you the truth about your breath now too.
NastyMouth
Total Newbie

Post by NastyMouth »

Man this is so hard :( I have gone to the store and don't seem to be getting reactions. However a lady about 10 feet from me said to a friend "did you smell that?"
Was she talking about me?! This disease is so socially crippling it's ridiculous.

Today I tried to trick my son. I said "eww what's that smell?" He answered "I think it's the bug spray Grandma used." Man I am stooping to a new low :(

Tongue is still pretty and pink. No clue what to think this is killing me. Also it hasn't yet been 2 weeks so I could still have a lingering stink from the scabs. Arg.
NastyMouth
Total Newbie

Post by NastyMouth »

Ok I got the guts to ask TWO friends and they both said that I smell normal but that They have never noticed a smell on me. So there I have 4 ppl I can't trust. My ENT clearly agreed my breath was room filling poop smell so I do not have some phobia. Also I have heard at least a few hundred times through the years - "did you step in shit? Who farted? etc etc.

Uggg.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

The uncertainty is the worst thing.

If your ENT thought that tonsils/stones could cause room-filling poop smell, then he's the one I wouldn't be trusting.

It's good that you found the guts to to speak to your two friends. Maybe it would now be a good idea to try talking to them more about how badly this is affecting you and explain why you had your tonsils removed and how important it is for them to be honest so you can find out what's really going on now.

People are always gonna step in shit and fart and talk about it in very reckless ways, whether it's you or not. So it's vital to find feedback you can trust in when there's this level of uncertainty.
NastyMouth
Total Newbie

Post by NastyMouth »

Halitosux to be clear my ENT did not say a tonsillectomy would help. He just agreed to take my tonsils based on my complaints of tonsil stones. He said tonsillectomies do not always cure BB.

My tongue is way pinker than anyone I know. No clue why, but I don't even have to scrape it. I go back to the ENT a week from Tuesday & I will ask him on if there is a difference.

On the upside I am blessed! A handsome 6 year old son, the cutest 1 year old baby girl you'd ever see, my very own successful business (where I can be in seclusion if I am having a bad day) & a hubbie who adores me and (pretends?) to ignore my stench. Wish I could cure this but in the end I have to step back to think about how lucky I am:)

Will continue to update. If anyone else had a tonsillectomy that did not cure them, how is your tongue?
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

halitosisux wrote:
NOTANYMORE wrote:In other words, life is better than it was before the surgery but the overall problem still exists.
Archi, from what I appear to have understood from his/her recent posting later on in that thread, it turns out that the lingual tonsil surgery has not been the answer to the bad breath problem and that LPR/reflux is the underlying problem.
Yeah his posts were a little conflicting but he said this in his last post: "my daughter hasn't said I smell since my surgery and believe me she would tell me if I did"

That's as good of a proof as it gets that he's cured. imo, he shouldn't worry about GERD and mucus and all that other stuff, it's probably completely unrelated to BB. And the morning/mild bb could be paranoia. BB sufferers tend to associate everything with BB.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

NastyMouth, it will be interesting to hear what this ENT thinks about your room filling odours now, after the tonsillectomy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic