Your Email Address:

First Name:

Antibiotic Relief

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
nolagirl

Antibiotic Relief

Post by nolagirl »

I have a question for everyone one this forum. I have read tons of posts where people say that they experience relief from all their symptoms while on antibiotics, but is there anyone who DOESN'T experience relief? I've never felt any difference taking antibiotics, and in fact I just took amoxicillin for 10 days following a tonsillectomy and I think my tongue might be even more coated than it was before. I'm just curious what everyone's experiences are. Second question: I'm thinking of asking my ENT and/or dentist to prescribe me an anti-fungal mouthwash such as nystatin or "magic mouth wash" to help combat the fungal overgrowth that the amoxicillin might have caused. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with anti-fungal mouth washes? I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

ijwbtrma

Post by ijwbtrma »

Hey! Amoxillin doesn't help with bb. I also tried it!!! I'm gonna get metronidazole.... That does the job perfectly......
nolagirl

Post by nolagirl »

Ijwbtrma have you tried metronidazol before? Did it make your bb disappear and for how long? Also anyone's input about antifungals (either mouthwash or pill form) that they've taken would be super helpful. Thank you!! :D
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Nolagirl, if the Amoxicillin has caused some imbalance in your mouth then it will settle back by itself when you stop taking it. Try eating yogurt or probiotic supplements. Fungal infections in the mouth that won't go away normally have a reason behind them, such as a compromised immune system or certain medications for example.

I've tried Nystatin drops before and they didn't make the slightest difference to the natural coating of my tongue, so I can only presume that this natural coating isn't fungal but just dead cells and bacterial plaque/film like you get on teeth. Could be worth trying in your case though if it doesn't get back to how it was before.

Metronidazole will kill much of the bacteria in your mouth that cause bad breath. But that improvement will only last while you take it, unless the bad breath was caused by something other than just the bacteria present in your mouth, i.e. an infection an overgrowth of bacteria elsewhere in your body. The internet is full of stories of people who were seemingly cured of chronic bad breath following treatment for helicobacter pylori through the use of metronidazole, but it isn't clear if it's because helicobacter was eradicated, or for another reason. The only way to find out is to try it. Please only get a doctor to prescribe this to you though. A good understanding doctor should not have a problem in trying this to see if it works.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

no anti biotics ever worked for me ever..not for a second.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Candy

Post by Candy »

Amoxicillin helps my bb for atleast 4 months and then it always comes back.
PrettyKitty
Total Newbie

Post by PrettyKitty »

If Metro or Amoxicillin doesn't work... Does it mean that your problem isn't in your gums/teeth?
mindspace
Advanced

Post by mindspace »

Hey FedUp do you try with Clindamycin -it's for the gums and oral cavity and it's a good antibiotic against periodontal disease.I take clindamycin twice a year for 10 days and the results are good but diet is important -no sugar,no alcohol,no junk foods.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic