Your Email Address:

First Name:

10 Long Years

Tell us your story with bad breath
MyhopeSomeday25

10 Long Years

Post by MyhopeSomeday25 »

Before I can join officially, I wanted to share my story.. maybe somebody out there have some familiarity.. Kinda long but I need to get this off my chest...

10 years ago, I went from being a carefree, fun, happy person that loved to go out and be around people to a depressed lonesome individual who don't even want to step out the front door.. The less people I have in contact with the better and that is sad.. that is not how life should be...

I remember like it was yesterday.. 10 years ago when I was 22.. I was sitting on the train and I noticed the girl next to me who I just had a small conversation with started putting her hand covering her nose as if she smelled something utterly disgusting.. I figured it can't be me... I take a bath twice a day.. I brush, floss.. I had like 3 cavities due to lots of sweet but they were filled... Then slowly I noticed people covering their noses when I talked at every turn.. give me strange stares.. To the point I don't even have to open my mouth.. I breathe the bad smell and it can reach several feet away, smell up my car..

One thing i noticed is that my breath tends to come and go cause when I went to many doctors and the ents.. they say it's all in my mind.. or it's not bad or maybe you eaten garlic pizza.. usual recommendation is nose spray..I even had the halimeter test and passed.. I went out with my cousin who have not seen in ages and I was afraid she was going to run away.. i told her my problem and she said my breath was fine.. this was 4 years ago.. yet a week later people back to holding their noses when I speak... For a good amount of time I had convinced myself I was imagining all this and it was psychological.. But no, my brother had said yes, I do have bad breath.. So the fact i know it comes and goes have kept me going yearning for a cure. I'm not trying to be shallow but i'm not an ugly girl and when guys come up to me and say I have a beautiful smile.. it makes me feel good and then it ends when I say thank you and they give me the death stare... Here are some facts about me

1. I eat tons of sweet, carbs, fast food you name it
2.My tongue is whitish.. i can't get rid of it and lately it is getting even whiter
3. My ENT said I have the smallest tonsils he ever seen.. Barely anything in there.. tonsil stone here and there but so tiny..
4. Bad breath from nose and mouth.. lately been strong.. can be smelled feet away
5. I don't have diabetes or any disease.. The only thing I have been diagnosis with the past was having low vitamin D and at one point low blood sugar .. I think lately I have low iron cause my hands freeze instantly in the cold
6. Was diagnose with Hpylori last year.. i thought once I got rid of it.. my breath would get better.. Seems like it got even worse
7. I had violent stomach pains as a kid up till last year..My doctor just kept on giving me penicillin .. The pain went away once I got rid of the Hpylori.. so some good news there..
8. I still have my wisdom teeth
9. I CANNOT SMELL MY BREATH AT ALL.. As bad as it is apparently I can't smell a things.. I can't tell if it is there or not

Some people wish for fame or for fortune.. I just wish I an talk to people again.. be in a room full of people again.. that is all ...I don't wish for too much... Anyway, hi everyone and i hope we can be happy again someday =D> [-o<

badexhale

Post by badexhale »

I think your spot on with it being random and I feel that's the case for most of us on here.iv asked friends and family they say no but my doctors agree with me.plus my neighbors slam their windows everytime I step out without seeing me.iv isolated myself for 6years only stepping out my front door 5 times all those years so I know the feeling all to well.you can message me for support ,vent, advice on how I got past staying in or what ever else. Be strong cause your not alone we all on here have the same problem.
MyhopeSomeday25

Hey, thanks for the reply badexhale.. it's good to speak to someone that is going through what I am... it's good to be at a place where everyone understands.. I feel good.. i'm glad I posted .. , I wish I can isolate myself sometimes... it really sucks cause I have to go out pretty much every other day and have some interaction with the public and every time, I come home depressed thinking how this lady covered her nose or that man said something smells.. I just don't understand why it have to be us or anyone... well, I hope we can all take tidbits from each other and learn and find solution and have eternal happiness... =D>
badexhale

Post by badexhale »

No worries, I felt so much better when I found this site as well.but try your best not to fall in that state of mind wanting to isolating yourself and cutting everyone out.having done that myself, coming back out my friends and family act so weird around me at times and being more causious with they say and do around me.i hate that they feel that way now.as for people reactions try not to dwell on it to much.just know you got done what you need to do that day, otherwise you'll be hesitant to go out when you need or want to.
MyhopeSomeday25

Yeah, I lost a couple of good friends over the years.. I basically cut them off because I just felt so embarrassed ..I have some that do understand but it's still a struggle everyday.. I want it to be like before all this happened.. One day, i hope.. We will get there badexhale.. it may take time but I hope we all get to that happy place again someday ..
badexhale

Post by badexhale »

Yes I'm sure that day will come. In the mean time all we can do is learn and grow from it. Where are you from by the way if you don't mind me asking?
MyhopeSomeday25

Sure, I live in Yonkers NY .. you?. I started fasting a couple of days ago hoping to cleanse my body and mind... I wanted to do it for 14 days but I can't.. I have done 4 days which is good going for 5.. I'm planning on eating healthier and cutting out dairy and high fructose ingredients.. I had violent stomach pains as a kid till last year.. it never crossed my mind... maybe i'm lactose intolerant ... But we willl see.. I don't want to give up my hopes too much..
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

MyhopeSomeday25 wrote:Sure, I live in Yonkers NY .. you?. I started fasting a couple of days ago hoping to cleanse my body and mind... I wanted to do it for 14 days but I can't.. I have done 4 days which is good going for 5.. I'm planning on eating healthier and cutting out dairy and high fructose ingredients.. I had violent stomach pains as a kid till last year.. it never crossed my mind... maybe i'm lactose intolerant ... But we willl see.. I don't want to give up my hopes too much..
We are in the same boat.
I pretty much keep my mouth shut as much as I can around my coworkers. When they ask me a question, I just nod if I can... I know I look weird and stressed out but at this point that's all I can manage to avoid much embarrassment.

I tried fasting for 2 days before and on the second day I couldn't smell a thing! My bad breath disappeared. Unfortunately I couldn't do it for more than 2 days.. When I got back to eating my BB came back. how about you? Do you notice any change in your breath?

Now, I eliminated dairy, gluten and sugar from my diet.. and I'm taking wild oregano oil w/coconut oil daily.
badexhale

Post by badexhale »

MyhopeSomeday25 wrote:Sure, I live in Yonkers NY .. you?. I started fasting a couple of days ago hoping to cleanse my body and mind... I wanted to do it for 14 days but I can't.. I have done 4 days which is good going for 5.. I'm planning on eating healthier and cutting out dairy and high fructose ingredients.. I had violent stomach pains as a kid till last year.. it never crossed my mind... maybe i'm lactose intolerant ... But we willl see.. I don't want to give up my hopes too much..
San Diego ca.. Nice,let me know how it all goes.iv noticed the same last year that I would have stomachaches throughout the day also.i Cut out dairy also ,reduced my red meat intake and rarely drink anything but water . It cured my stomachaches and I no longer have a thick coat of white on my tongue but that's about it.
MyhopeSomeday25

Trunks99 .. Hey, how are ya... The best thing about winter is I use my scarf to cover my face lol.. Yes, even in the grocery store.. any store.. I know people look at me nuts in the store but I have my scarf completely covering my mouth and nose.. hoping no one smells a thing... I fast now for 5 days.. I ended it this morning with a whole wheat toast, egg (which I was shock to find out it's not dairy lol) and lactose free cheese... I was about to pass out..If the bad breath went away after fasting for you.. I think it could be what you are eating.. There is hope there. The thing for me is I never have been able to smell my own breath.. so I can't say if it worked.. and in those 5 days I went out once.. I had an opportunity on Friday when I went to the store but I just was not ready for nasty looks and had the scarf over my face.. :( .. this really did a number on my mental health.. Good luck on this change in diet too =D> .. I can't wait to see if it makes a difference and let me know if there is a difference. . I go out Monday and the looks or non looks will determine if its there or lessen .. I hope

badexhale .. So nice to meet you too. I'm hoping this change in what I eat changes things.. In the past when I gotten big from depressed eating.. I went on nutrisystem and I do remember at the time not getting much of any looks.. I even sat coach on a plan to Vegas back in 2010 and no looks... yep it has dairy in nutrisystem but lots and lots of fiber in there .. I read lots of fiber intake can make a difference .. i know.. It's horrible to get bad stomach aches.. i'm pretty sure it's the dairy but I want to be sure.. I'm hoping my next doctor visit they give me a test.. I have white tongue... i hate it lol .. I never really noticed the white tongue till last year.. We are going to keep our heads up .. I'm hoping there is a light at the end of the tunnel .. Everyday I say.. there must be a reason why we in these shoes and once we find it.. we got it.. =D>
9YearsToFindCure
Junior

Post by 9YearsToFindCure »

I know how most of you are suffering and I want to share my story because I believe it may contain the answer for many of you.

I had braces in my mid twenties and once they came off in 2005, I started having bad breath, PND, white tongue and discovered that I had tonsil stones. I saw my ENT and he said the only way to resolve this problem was a tonsillectomy. I had the operation performed within weeks of finding out and went through the 10 days of excruciating pain, which is what it takes to recover from this surgery as an adult. A month or so after the surgery the tonsil stones were gone, but my wife told me that the halitosis was still there. I was devastated. I went back to the ENT but he had no answers. Since then, I've tried everything from diet, Therabreath, nasal sprays, nasal steroids, H. Pylori test is clear, tongue scrapers, mouth washes, multiple ENTs, you name it and I've done it. Needless to say, it was hard to live like this. I had almost accepted that I would have halitosis for life, but I'm not the type to give up so in 2014, with a renewed fervor to find myself a cure to this miserable state, I finally did. It is the ****ing "Adenoids". In 2005, I had even asked my original ENT if I should have them out and he said no. He had said they shrink down to almost nothing as an adult and he didn't see any inflammation in them. It's complete bullshit and he was dead wrong. The inflammation and tonsil stone smelling, nasty bacteria infested tissue is under the adenoids. They are a type of tonsil too (pharyngeal tonsils) and have their own tiny tonsil stones that are undetectable without a CT and have no clinical symptoms. I found another new ENT and he was willing to remove them for me. The surgery and recovery was painless. After the surgery, my cauterized adenoids crusted off and my bad breath was gone, just like that. Bottom line, if you have halitosis and any kind of tonsil stones, insist on getting your tonsils and adenoids removed. If your ENT won't do it, then tell him to ***k off and find one that will. It saved my life!

If you want to talk or have a question for me, feel free to reach out.

Here are the links that pointed me in the direction of my cure. But the decision to have the 2nd surgery was mine alone and done on faith because I had a sense that the smell, white tongue, and PND were coming from the adenoid region.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17372553

viewtopic.php?t=2770
MyhopeSomeday25

Well i'm happy that you were able to find a solutions.. 9 years later it took but at least there is some peace for you.. way to go =D> ... Two different ENTs told me my tonsils are super small... I may have had a few tonsil stones in the past but they were tiny.. I can't imagine something so baby small could be the problem for me... I never knew adenoids existed lol.. I can't even see mine in the mirror... . right now i'm trying the diet thing and if nothing improves.. (which i'm hoping does [-o< I will focus on my tonsils next... But so far all the ents I went too have been super strict.. they really don't listen and just go.. it's GERD.. I don't know how many times I heard gerd lol.. i tried medication for it and all it did was gave me insomnia
9YearsToFindCure
Junior

Post by 9YearsToFindCure »

If you've got tonsil stones in your tonsils, I don't care how small they are, they smell like feces. Chances are you have them in your adenoids too like I did. And you can't see adenoids in a mirror, much less the tonsil stones inside of them. It's tough to find a good ENT that cares and isn't set in his ways. My latest ENT even admitted to me that all ENTs should be taking out more adenoids in adults along with their tonsillectomies. The problem is that they can't see what's going on and no one wants to spend money for a CT of adnenoids for bad breath and insurance won't pay for that. Did you read that study from France in the link from my last post? I even have a picture of my cauterized adenoid from when it came out a week after surgery, but you can't upload pics onto this site. You can see the white tonsil stone material behind it. You have to tell your ENT what you want and demand that he does it or find a new one. Mine is in LA.
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

MyhopeSomeday25 wrote:Trunks99 .. Hey, how are ya... The best thing about winter is I use my scarf to cover my face lol.. Yes, even in the grocery store.. any store.. I know people look at me nuts in the store but I have my scarf completely covering my mouth and nose.. hoping no one smells a thing... I fast now for 5 days.. I ended it this morning with a whole wheat toast, egg (which I was shock to find out it's not dairy lol) and lactose free cheese... I was about to pass out..If the bad breath went away after fasting for you.. I think it could be what you are eating.. There is hope there. The thing for me is I never have been able to smell my own breath.. so I can't say if it worked.. and in those 5 days I went out once.. I had an opportunity on Friday when I went to the store but I just was not ready for nasty looks and had the scarf over my face.. :( .. this really did a number on my mental health.. Good luck on this change in diet too =D> .. I can't wait to see if it makes a difference and let me know if there is a difference. . I go out Monday and the looks or non looks will determine if its there or lessen .. I hope
I don't think it's a good idea to break a 5-day fast with toast/egg. The re-feeding process is as important as the fast itself. You need to take it slow and start with a fruit like watermelon (has a lot of water) or something equivalent, and eat small portions throughout the day.

The diet thing is going to take a while but hopefully it works. My bad breath started when I was 15-16 yo and just like you I was eating a lot of crap (tons of sweet). And it's gotten worse over time, I believe. I don't think I can fill a room or maybe I'm just not aware of it....

Anyway, best of luck! Keep us updated.
MyhopeSomeday25

9YearsToFindCure .. yes, I read everything and it amazes me it can be in there.. They're in places we all had no clue.. the thing that makes me sad is...if it is my tonsils or adenoid.. it's going to be tough for me to get anything done now.. I don't have the best insurance cause I don't work often and for me to even get my tonsils out much less adenoids.. it has to be a very good reason or I have to pay and i'm broke as hell.. I can just barely pay rent and food and car fare... I don't have the best credit so getting a loan is a no no... see the shoe i'm in is rough :( .. But I will bring this up when I see my ent in the future.. at least I can try...

Trunks99 .. speaking of watermelons.. I have been eating that all week.. I bought 3 packs pre-cut.. they are delicious.. Fasting almost knocked me out.. it was more strenuous than I can ever imagine.. My body was aching.. I was hungry.. had headaches, dizzy.. it was bad.. I realize, pre fasting is just as important too.. I should had ate more better before fasting as it suppose to make the fast process easier... Thanks trunk.. every now and then I post if I see a difference in people's reactions.. I go to the dentist tomorrow.. I actually looking forward to it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic