Your Email Address:

First Name:

What has helped you?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
somethinstinks
Advanced

What has helped you?

Post by somethinstinks »

Is there anything in your regimen that you feel has helped you at all? TBH I have tried a bunch of things and I really don't have much of an idea of what has helped or hurt as I really don't have anyone to test things on.

Perhaps if you think something may be helping, you can list it here and others may try to see if they feel it helps as well. Every little improvement helps.

Like I said I haven't really come across much that I can say helped. I think probiotics helped for a bit and then the bb came back.. Currently I am using saltwater as a gargle and at first I thought it was helping (I can't smell tonsilstone breath on my fingers when I rub tonsils), but lately its been rough, I may drop it soon.

One thing that has at least helped with my white tongue is the orabrush, but i think most people on here have already used tonguescrapes

Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

Some stuff that seem to help:

- tongue scraping
- oil pulling
- drink homemade juice with a good amount of ginger - it will burn but your mouth will feel fresh for 4-5 hours, possibly more.
- eat dinner at 6pm, then don't eat until next morning.
- drink detox tea before bedtime.

This really helped me manage my bb but it didn't go away. If anyone gives it a try, please give some feedback.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Providing you don't have anything seeping foulness into your mouth and throat, such as sinus infection dental problem, adenoids and tonsils, and your battle is only with the bacteria on your tongue, the best thing I can recommend (as long as you can tolerate the chemicals) is scrub your tongue (not too hard) with a chlorine dioxide toothpaste. This breaks down biofilm, kills bacteria/fungi and neutralises any VSCs already present. Then use a mouthwash that contains zinc chloride and Cetylpyridinium chloride. Bacteria do not become resistant to these chemicals. Salt water doesn't do a lot.
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

halitosisux wrote:Providing you don't have anything seeping foulness into your mouth and throat, such as sinus infection dental problem, adenoids and tonsils, and your battle is only with the bacteria on your tongue, the best thing I can recommend (as long as you can tolerate the chemicals) is scrub your tongue (not too hard) with a chlorine dioxide toothpaste. This breaks down biofilm, kills bacteria/fungi and neutralises any VSCs already present. Then use a mouthwash that contains zinc chloride and Cetylpyridinium chloride. Bacteria do not become resistant to these chemicals. Salt water doesn't do a lot.

thanks for the advice. Have you used these and have they helped you? aren't these ingredients used in Therabreath?

after a relatively quick search on this, Closys toothpaste and BreathRx mouthwash are names that came up. Do you recommend those?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I've never bought any Therabreath product and I've never looked into them.

If BB is caused by a specific problem then even the "best" expensive products are only going to give a temporary relief, at best. So a problem needs to be identified before any product has any chance of doing anything much.

Without going into too much detail about my history etc, Chlorine dioxide has always felt like it helps when I use it on my tongue. I have post nasal drip so it's just a confidence/psychological thing now because even though I'm sure I've conquered my problem, I do not feel confident about breathing "naked" air too close to people, no matter what. I also still have a buried impacted wisdom tooth that needs to come out. It's under control though and not producing any odour that I can detect with my fingers.

I currently use the stabilized chlorine dioxide toothpaste that is available in most supermarkets in the UK (on the tube it says it contains CloSYS II) It's not expensive. It cleans my tongue quickly and gets rid of any trace of bad taste in the mornings when I use it. I then irrigate my teeth with a Waterpik with plain warm water. Then I use cheapo alcohol free mouthwash containing Zinc Chloride and Cetylpyridinium chloride which I also allow to contact the whole of my tongue.

None of this would do anything while I still had my other sewage factory wisdom tooth and, I presume if I still had my tonsils. (Had tonsils out before this wisdom tooth).

So, if this is what is in Therabreath, then save money and buy these products separately and it may even work better than Therabreath.
HS

Post by HS »

halitosisux wrote:I've never bought any Therabreath product and I've never looked into them.

If BB is caused by a specific problem then even the "best" expensive products are only going to give a temporary relief, at best. So a problem needs to be identified before any product has any chance of doing anything much.

Without going into too much detail about my history etc, Chlorine dioxide has always felt like it helps when I use it on my tongue. I have post nasal drip so it's just a confidence/psychological thing now because even though I'm sure I've conquered my problem, I do not feel confident about breathing "naked" air too close to people, no matter what. I also still have a buried impacted wisdom tooth that needs to come out. It's under control though and not producing any odour that I can detect with my fingers.

I currently use the stabilized chlorine dioxide toothpaste that is available in most supermarkets in the UK (on the tube it says it contains CloSYS II) It's not expensive. It cleans my tongue quickly and gets rid of any trace of bad taste in the mornings when I use it. I then irrigate my teeth with a Waterpik with plain warm water. Then I use cheapo alcohol free mouthwash containing Zinc Chloride and Cetylpyridinium chloride which I also allow to contact the whole of my tongue.

None of this would do anything while I still had my other sewage factory wisdom tooth and, I presume if I still had my tonsils. (Had tonsils out before this wisdom tooth).

So, if this is what is in Therabreath, then save money and buy these products separately and it may even work better than Therabreath.
Hey, just wondering, how long does this method last for you? I've been using diluted hydrogen peroxide and lasts a few hours (3-4?) also what's the exact name of the brand that you're using? closys?

ty
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi. The only measure I'm going by is the taste in my mouth. It's not really a measure of anything, but I suffer with a lot of PND and halitophobia. That doesn't mean I think I have bad breath when I don't, it means I fear having bad breath even though I know that I don't.

By doing the thing I've mentioned, the effects last a whole day.
I don't really like hydrogen peroxide because it's too frothy. Chlorine dioxide is more effective than HP. The brand I use is the toothpaste called UltraDex (used to be called Retardex or something). I use the toothpaste because it's more convenient than the liquid, for cleaning the tongue.
HS

Post by HS »

great, thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm on the same boat, I have tested my breath numerous times (to family/doctor ) just after tongue cleaning with HP and my breath is neutral, but I still have a bit of fear, and also after a few hours I get a white coating on my tongue again. I know I shouldn't be doing this but I use saliva test to see if it smells sour (which does when don't tongue clean with HP, no smell after HP clean).

Does your tongue stay pink and clean the whole day after your regime?

oh and the ultradex toothpaste is the low-abrasion one right?
compor
Advanced
Post by compor »

Re: halitosisux

Do you know if long term use of chlorine dioxide has the same side effects as chlorhexidine ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18672988
Chlorhexidine seems more effective but cannot use it more than 2 weeks due to potential side effects.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Yes, I find that it seems to quickly clear whatever coating I happen to have in the morning (perhaps by it's bleaching effect) and my tongue stays clear for the rest of the day.
My Ultradex is low abrasion and low frothing.
I hope this can help you.

@compor, as far as I have ever been able to find out, chlorine dioxide has no side effects from long term use. Chlorhexidine causes non-permanent staining of the teeth and temporary alterations in taste. Chlorhexidine has some kind of chemical adherence to the teeth which allows it to go on working long after you finish rinsing. That's why it's such a good plaque inhibitor. Although chlorhexidine is such a powerful and broad antibacterial, chlorine dioxide is probably better against BB because it neutralises VSCs and (as far as I know) it's effective against anaerobic bacteria, the type usually associated with causing BB
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

fyi Ultradex/Retardex is called "Closys" in North America
compor
Advanced
Post by compor »

Thank you for your answer halitosisux. Let me see if I can find a toothpaste or mouthwash that contains chlorine dioxide.
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

compor wrote:Thank you for your answer halitosisux. Let me see if I can find a toothpaste or mouthwash that contains chlorine dioxide.
I used a chlorine dioxide mouthwash for over a year and while it helped a bit, it made my bb worse when I stopped using it. I wouldn't recommend it. But again, that's only based on my personal experience, no research.
MissingLateral2

Oil Pulling

Post by MissingLateral2 »

I read about oil pulling some two years back and have been practicing it since then. It has improved my confidence.I have that yuck smell at the back of my throat sometimes not always as was the case before.

Have your teeth cleaned from dentist every six months.

I was just watching you tube for tonsil stone removal, since I suffer from them. Here is a link for you :https://youtu.be/yTxAMXVzPtU
I pray this might help me whenever I have that yucky smell.

Cheers!
compor
Advanced
Post by compor »

Today I visited 2 major stores in the hopes of finding a mouthwash that contains chlorine dioxide. I couldn't find any.

Some of them contained:
Titanium Dioxide
Zinc Lactate
Zinc Citrate

Definitely no chlorine dioxide.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic