Your Email Address:

First Name:

Hopeless

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
whatdidido
Junior
Hopeless

Post by whatdidido »

Im a 25 year old female and developed chronic bad breath around the age of 23. I don't really know when it started for sure but i returned home from a trip to Africa around June and my birthday is in September, so at some point between these months i developed BB as people started commenting, blocking their noses and many other things if i came within less then 10 feet from them around this time. I have had hplyori test (don't think thats how its spelt)which came back negative, i apparently have acid reflex (gerd) which I've decided to stop taking medication for as it hasn't done anything to help. Im getting my tonsils/adenoids and a septoplasty done hopefully before the fall. I can honestly say that i don't believe there is anything wrong with my tonsils but I'm desperate and am willing to do the surgery although my ENT has said it isn't going to do anything. I only just started drinking coffee now, but never did when this started. I quit dairy for at least a year but that barely helped, only made the ball in my throat less obvious but bad breath was still there. I apparently have post nasal drip but again, this is just what my doctors saying and nasal sprays, irrigators and the works haven't helped! I have no idea what to do. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, and i know that you all are suffering with me but it doesn't stop me from feeling so alone. Im a decent looking women, who was outgoing, talkative, and an all around happy person but now I'm a reclusive, miserable person and i truly believe I've fallen into depression. Ive been reading this forum and others like it for months and months, and i have tried everything everyone has suggested! What do we do from here? This can't be the life that was planned out from me. I finally got into my program after being denied two years in a row and will beginning my first year of law this fall and i can't fathom continuing on with my studies if i can't even open my mouth. I can't even smell my breath, it honestly seems fresh to me but isn't and i just don't understand how that is even possible. I got my first cavities this year from the gum that i chew 24/7(that doesn't even help) so i know its not cavities--my oral health is impeccable. I need help. Im so desperate. I no longer see a future when i imagine my life even just a few years from now.

StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

sorry to hear about your situation! I dont even know whats worse- me suffering with this for most of my life since I was a child or it just randomly springing upon you in your mid 20's. Atleast you got to enjoy your child/teen years I suppose.

Since you cant smell it yourself; what type of comments do you receive from people? e.g. "poop" remarks? If your bb type is fecal, there is a good chance the surgery might be your answer. So hold out hope for the time being.

You could also try a GERD prevention diet + cut out dairy/gluten; give it a week and see if you notice any changes.
whatdidido
Junior
Post by whatdidido »

I can't imagine what you went through if this is what I'm going through as an adult. Children are extremely mean and vicious without realizing the impact of what they say/do so I'm sorry you had to endure that. I couldn't ever argue which is better then the other but the feeling of ditching all my friends, ducking and dodging any attempts to make plans, ignoring phone calls, having people question if I'm okay but not being able to explain to them that I'm embarrassed cause i have bad breath...Not going out to my best friends birthdays, or other celebrations, not pursuing potential partners etc... The process of avoiding those that i love and trying to explain that it really isn't anything they did wrong but something that I'm battling within my self....thats extremely difficult!

I've never had anyone say i had poo breath, but I've had people suggest things i should do in regards to oral hygiene. Literally everyone covers their nose when i speak, and honestly i was in denial that anything was wrong until i went out with a high school friend of mine, and a skunk must of went by, and he immediately made a joke about it being my breath in front of at least 10 people. From there, i asked my brother and he said that he's been noticing my breath for a long time but didn't care to mention it. My old boss also went out of his way to offer me gum, so i know i definitely have the problem--- my ENT hasn't denied it either!

I never need to blow my nose...literally never! ENT said i have a deviated septum which could be the reason for that, but i used to get a brief moth ball smell in my sinuses-- it would feel like they were burning even but would only last 3-4 seconds and then dissipate but has only happened once since BB hit me.

Ive tried the non dairy/gluten diet and i went on with it for just over a year, and the effects were great as far as my skin clearing up and digestion becoming more consistent but as far as my breath goes, absolutely nothing has changed. Candida cleanser, low carb diet, acidophilus probiotics, cutting out things that trigger heartburn, ranitidine, PPI's, oil pulling, hundreds of dollars worth of mouth washes and speciality rinses from international sources and a plethora of other things! What else can i possibly try?

Have you tried anything else? Has anything made the smell less evident for you? Im trying Kefir, maybe about a week now and I've been getting crazy migraines which is normal apparently, so I'm holding out hope on that and the surgery i guess...

Thank you for your response....you said you've been dealing with this since you were a kid-- how have you coped? I believe I'm blessed in many ways, but i truly believe losing the confidence to say good morning to someone, or to simply exhale is the most debilitating thing in the world.
compor
Advanced
Post by compor »

You might wanna read this:
http://drkurtbarrett.com/serendipity/in ... -GERD.html

GERD is the root of all evil.
Sickandtired
Junior

Re: Hopeless

Post by Sickandtired »

whatdidido wrote:Im a 25 year old female and developed chronic bad breath around the age of 23. I don't really know when it started for sure but i returned home from a trip to Africa around June and my birthday is in September, so at some point between these months i developed BB as people started commenting, blocking their noses and many other things if i came within less then 10 feet from them around this time. I have had hplyori test (don't think thats how its spelt)which came back negative, i apparently have acid reflex (gerd) which I've decided to stop taking medication for as it hasn't done anything to help. Im getting my tonsils/adenoids and a septoplasty done hopefully before the fall. I can honestly say that i don't believe there is anything wrong with my tonsils but I'm desperate and am willing to do the surgery although my ENT has said it isn't going to do anything. I only just started drinking coffee now, but never did when this started. I quit dairy for at least a year but that barely helped, only made the ball in my throat less obvious but bad breath was still there. I apparently have post nasal drip but again, this is just what my doctors saying and nasal sprays, irrigators and the works haven't helped! I have no idea what to do. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, and i know that you all are suffering with me but it doesn't stop me from feeling so alone. Im a decent looking women, who was outgoing, talkative, and an all around happy person but now I'm a reclusive, miserable person and i truly believe I've fallen into depression. Ive been reading this forum and others like it for months and months, and i have tried everything everyone has suggested! What do we do from here? This can't be the life that was planned out from me. I finally got into my program after being denied two years in a row and will beginning my first year of law this fall and i can't fathom continuing on with my studies if i can't even open my mouth. I can't even smell my breath, it honestly seems fresh to me but isn't and i just don't understand how that is even possible. I got my first cavities this year from the gum that i chew 24/7(that doesn't even help) so i know its not cavities--my oral health is impeccable. I need help. Im so desperate. I no longer see a future when i imagine my life even just a few years from now.
Have you tried parasite tests and other little monsters you could possible get infected by on a trip?
Atrial
Advanced

Post by Atrial »

Whatdidiso

I know this doesn't make sense to you now but if you live in UK take a tmau test
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

yes kids were extremely mean and would tell me straight up that my breath stunk. In a weird way, it might have made me stronger and I basically got used to it over the years. That's why I feel bad that you have had an amazing care free life and then to have this randomly spring upon you now, must be quite hard.

I have tried pretty much anything and everything you can think of in terms of products, just like you. Therabreath worked for me for a few years but then stopped working when I moved to another city with a much dryer climate. I still cant figure out why that was.

Right now I am experimenting with a GERD prevention diet/ cutting out dairy & gluten, I noticed I can get a bright pink tongue within 2 days [no scraping needed] if I stick to the diet. I also have an upcoming surgery to remove my tonsils/ adenoids. I can't really pinpoint the exact cause of my BB, so it has been pretty much trial and error. All you can really do is keep trying to find a cause; that's the sad reality we have to accept
MissingLateral2

Post by MissingLateral2 »

Sorry to hear about your situation! and don't ever feel alone and depressed just because of bad breath. I have spend a lot of time in that, I would advise all the readers of the forum to never waste even a second of your life in stress. Enjoy your life and be happy! You know you have tried everything so don't worry about things not in your control.

Since you have tried everything and BB persist, you should try using natural mouth freshener (e.g. cardamom) often.

I would like to ask why are going to remove tonsils/adenoids? Do you have tonsils stones? If the ENT has mentioned it will not help, I would suggest you to take a second and if required a third opinion before you go ahead with the surgery.

Hope this helps! Cheers!
whatdidido
Junior
Post by whatdidido »

Compor= GERD is definitely one of the things I believe is contributing to this but two years on medication and nothing has changed. Im on ranitidine (switched from tetra) and over the counter gaviscon… Is there stronger medication i should try?

Sickandtired= The ony thing I got tested for-twice- was helibacter pylori through a breath test. Both times it came back negative. I will go back to my doctor and ask him about other bacteria that could be contributing to this, thank you!

Atrial= I live in Canada but I will check if that test is available here—thank you!!

Stillhoping= Yes it is extremely hard…im a strong person but this is beyond anything…I keep battling with the idea that something has changed in my body and not a single doctor can tell me what it is which is scary. GERD can develop into cancers and other serious disorders yet not a single doctor out of the many ive went too seem interested in helping me. Also, I guess the fact that I could possibly be alone for the rest of my life if this continues to curse me. Not a single man can ever be attracted to someone spewing stink with every word and breath that comes out of their mouth….

I wish you luck! Ive begun cutting dairy and gluten again so we’ll see where this goes this time around

MissingLateral2= Thank you, I will try Cardamom more often. We use it in my culture for teas so its all over my house. As far as removing my tonsils. My first ENT looked into my mouth and immediately told me to have them removed, I didn’t trust him (figured he wanted to make money off me, as his reviews made me even more fearful). He also said I did not have heartburn or GERD because there was no acid wear on my teeth or around my throat. The second ENT who is top 5 of the best ones in my city says my adenoids are irritated, I have severe irritation at the back of my throat and my septum is deviated. The reason I want my tonsil removed is because I’ve read in a few forums that ENTS sometimes cant see what’s under them or around them but they can have crevasses that house bacteria. He has to remove my adenoids and do the septoplasty anyway so he said he will take my tonsils out as well although he has seen it cure a persons BB only once in his career. At this point, im extremely desperate so I wont miss the opportunity especially because ive been on a wait list for a year already. I’d rather get this out of the way.

Thank you all for your comments. Although id never wish this on my worst enemy but i can't help but feel a little more at ease knowing there are others who are on this battle/journey with me.
Cres
Junior

Post by Cres »

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. It's horrible trying to live with chronic halitosis. It sounds weird and scary that in your case it might've something to do with the trip to Africa. Maybe the bacterial environment was so different down there that it messed up with your bacterial balance or something like that. I had a trip to Asia before my BB started, but there was five years between the trip and BB, so I don't really know. I guess a s*itload more people would have this condition though if it had something to do with trips. Did you consume anything unusual during your trip?

I had a panendoscopy when I was 18 but they didn't find anything unusual, wouldn't they find something abnormal if I had (silent) GERD? Also had colonoscopy.
• Fecal halitosis since age 12
• TMAU negative
• Still looking for cure
• Feel free to contact me for anything
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

whatdidido what part of Canada are you in? I'm also Canadian lol, happy Canada Day!

There was another post on this forum recently bringing to attention that another form of GERD is having low stomach acid [as opposed to having too much ie. acid reflux], in which antacid meds like gaviscon would actually be making your symptoms worse. I was skeptical about it and didn't really believe it because I couldn't believe just drinking lemon with water would make any difference. But then I found out this week, a friend of mine - also with very strong bb/ symptoms kindof similar to mine has been cured by drinking lemon water. Soo I decided to start doing it more seriously.

This has only been day 2, and I feel like there has been a big difference. Because I ate all types of stinky food, and my BB was not as bad as it usually is after. I don't want to give high hopes; but I suggest you stop your GERD related meds if possible and drink water with a lemon with every meal; see if it makes any difference for you. I am also tracking my progress and will report back after a week.
Sickandtired
Junior

Post by Sickandtired »

StillHoping wrote:a friend of mine - also with very strong bb/ symptoms kindof similar to mine has been cured by drinking lemon water.
Did she have also a nasal odor, could you describe us a little more what kind of bb she suffered from and symptoms if u know?
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

Sickandtired, she did not have nasal odour/ the smell was emitted only through the mouth/ when she spoke. It was sour/vinegar smell and whatever food she ate - it would take on the smell of the food after. She had this since I met her and it has been over 10 years. And now no smell whatsoever; even after she eats smelly foods.
MissingLateral2

Post by MissingLateral2 »

Hey I had posted a thread about tonsil stones removal video. See if it helps you. I have been following that process and it has definitely helped me.
Sickandtired
Junior

Post by Sickandtired »

StillHoping wrote:Sickandtired, she did not have nasal odour/ the smell was emitted only through the mouth/ when she spoke. It was sour/vinegar smell and whatever food she ate - it would take on the smell of the food after. She had this since I met her and it has been over 10 years. And now no smell whatsoever; even after she eats smelly foods.
Wow this is interesting. This is a good information, thank you!! It's interesting since a lot of us here got worse through the years ie. out bb worsened.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic