Your Email Address:

First Name:

Excessive gas and lack of smell -- related to bad breath?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Obsessive
Total Newbie

Excessive gas and lack of smell -- related to bad breath?

Post by Obsessive »

Hi everyone,

I've been suffering from bb ever since I can remember. My nickname in 5th grade was "shitbreath." I have been reading the board obsessively over the last week and am starting to be convinced that there's no miracle cure because my bad breath is being caused by some sort of complex bacteria overgrowth. There will likely be no magic bullet, but I'm trying various things (GSE, AVC, chlorphyll tablets).

I believe the source of this bacteria overgrowth might have to do with all the antibiotics I had to take as a baby. I was born with severe ear infections and these treatments might have led to something out of balance. I was also very lactose intolerant but the symptoms have mostly gone away.

In addition to BB, I also suffer from tons of gas (I probably fart at least 30-50 times a day) and my stomach is often very bloated. This might have to do with a milk or gluten allergy and I haven't done too much testing to see if it has any effect.

Last, in addition to my post-nasal drip, I have a weak sense of smell. Do any other people with PND have very weak senses of smell? I can honestly never smell anything unless I'm very close or it's a very powerful smell.

Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

Yes there is a relationship between halitosis and loss of smell.

Read this:
http://chemse.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... 8.abstract

"The results suggest that the chronic presence of volatile sulfur compounds may have a negative effect on olfactory function."
Cres
Junior

Post by Cres »

I was also a lactose intolerant, and around the time my BB started, the symptoms related to lactose intolerance vanished.

And I'll have to ask my mom if I took any antibiotics as a kid.
• Fecal halitosis since age 12
• TMAU negative
• Still looking for cure
• Feel free to contact me for anything
kwakumenu
Total Newbie

Possible cure

Post by kwakumenu »

I have been dealing with severe bath breath from coated tongue and random sniff of fecal smell around me for almost 9 years.
I started out with coated tongue, then bad breath that wont go away, then the fecal smell from nose to constipation.

Cure
1. I managed to treat my dry mouth with ordinary kids toothpaste. i use crest pro health stages. Children toothpaste doesnt have all the harsh mints and other ingredients adults' have. Try that for a week and you could be on your way out of this mess.

2. For the random occassional fecal smell around me, i always suspected a stomach problem but didnt know exactly why. i never had reflux issues but felt every time i eat and speak my tongue get coated leading to fecal breath. After many years of trial and error i found a solution.
Decreasing the portion sizes of food is the best cure i found. Think about it, driving a car with a bad engine for short distances can last u a long time than than driving it to one long distance trip. With that concept in mind i also realized all these supplements wont cure this mess and eventually was costing me a lot of money. So for me my prilosec or protonix or whatever medicine i should be taking will be my will to be disciplined and remain on this regimen. This paid off in three days. I first took a laxative to get all the food that i had eaten out before starting. I eat four times a day, four hours interval and do not OVEREAT. In doing so after three days my digestion got better and no more fecal odor. With a bad digestion the more you overeat the more the food doesnt get digested and more undigested food is pushed into the colon for bacteria to feed on causing leaky gas and breath odor and body odor.
I basically eat anything i want. Milk and wheat cereal occasionally give me gas issues but i switched to soy milk and only eat a wheat product say cereal in the morning. i have been getting away with it. They main issue is the portions and spacing. not over filling my stomach and waiting for the previous food to digest solved my 9 year halitosis issue. No medicine worked, teeth cleaning , diet elimination , nothing worked. I hope this helps someone
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic