Your Email Address:

First Name:

did tonsillectomy cure anybody?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Ommang333
Total Newbie

did tonsillectomy cure anybody?

Post by Ommang333 »

Hi everyone,
I have had bad breath problem for past 10 years. With me, it started two years after having my first tonsil infection. For the first couple of years or so, I was clueless what was causing my halitosis but later I realized tonsils might be the cause. So, I went to many ENT doctor and explained my situation. All the doctors gave me antibiotics and I had this ray hope now finally my halitosis problem is going to go away but all in vain.
I have done a lot of research over the years about bad breath and I have read so many articles over the years about the relationship between tonsils and halitosis. Based on my research, what I think is chronic infected tonsil is the source of my bad breath. I am not saying tonsil is the main site of bad breath but people with infection, frequent tonsil problems and bad taste in tonsil regions, tonsil might be the cause.
I feel my tonsils are the problem of my bad breath because whenever they get infected, I have this horrible odor coming out of it.
About a year ago, I have had enough of this tonsil problem and wanted to get rid of it. I went for laser tonsillectomy despite the doctor advice that if i was so sure that tonsils was causing my halitosis problem then it is better to opt for the traditional one. After laser tonsillectomy, my problem remained the same, i kept having those tonsil infection. In the near future, I am considering traditional tonsillectomy option and hope it will cure me.
My question to members is has anobody been cured by tonillectomy? I have read so many success stories from tonsillectomy. Could you share your experience.

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

If you search through the forum you'll see that tonsillectomy never cured anyone on here. For most, including me, it didnt even make the slightest difference, even when our tonsils stunk and produced stones.
I think tonsils stink BECAUSE you have bad breath, not that you have bad breath because tonsils stink. This is very important, and most of us have proved this to be true.
brightonguy
Advanced

Post by brightonguy »

..... and your tonsils can stink and produce stones without you having a BB problem too. I used to get stones all the time as a kid and intermittently throughout my twenties without ever having a BB problem. In the 11 months since I've had my BB problem, never once have I had any tonsil stones.
stressedout
Master

Post by stressedout »

I think tonsils stink BECAUSE you have bad breath, not that you have bad breath because tonsils stink. This is very important, and most of us have proved this to be true.
I agree with this. Question is why do tonsil stones happen in some people, and dont in others? Also, i cant comprehend how anyone with constant tonsil stones wouldnt have BB.
Ommang333
Total Newbie

Post by Ommang333 »

@halitosissux, ok fine tonsillectomy didn't cure ur porblem but were you so sure that tonsils were causing bad breath in you. The point I am trying to make is people with chronic infected tonsils with bad breath can only benefit from this procedure. just research and even in this website i have read post of many members success stories after tonsillectomy. just bcoz somebody got cured by tonsillectomy doesnt mean everyone should have it.
you are saying tonsils stink bcoz i have bad breath, then from your prespective tongue, teeth, gums they all also should stink bcoz someone has bb. We are here to discuss the causes. Just look at the surveys on this website, so many people believe throat and tonsils area as their cause.
Everbody bb case is different so it is important to do appropriate tests and be sure something is the cause before going with treatment. It's worth giving a shot at what you think.

@stressedout tonsil function are more important during childhood and as we grow older, their role begin to diminish. If you didn't have tonisllitis during childhood then there a healthy chance u r not going to have problems during adulthood. as per ur belief why anyone with constant tonil stones wouldn;t have bb, maybe their tonisl don't have crypts that trap food particles and get decomposed or tonsil are of differnt kind that those suffering from bb since there r many kinds of tonsils. to better answer ur belief, everyone of us breathe, but when some of us breathe or talk foul smell comes out, likewise so many people have tonsil infection but in some they stink and on some they don't.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

@Brightonguy, I've never personally known anyone else with tonsil stones. Its just my guess that tonsil stones are a product of high levels of VSCs and tongue plaque etc. Sorry if this sounds insulting, but if you are not even certain whether you have BB or not now, how do you know whether you had BB or not in your childhood and intermittently thoughout your 20s? Also your 'bad' days where you suspect your breath is bad, this might be purely coming from your nose, so it wont necessarily relate to having high levels of VSCs in your mouth and throat, and therefore why you dont get any tonsil stones.

@stressed out, it might depend on the dimensions of any tonsil crypts. That's why people have laser cryptolysis. It's to prevent the formation of tonsil stones.

@ommang333, it sure didnt cure my problem, because my problem was a wisdom tooth - it also didnt cure anyone else's problem either. Most people on here who have tonsil stones also have smelly, coated tongues. My teeth or gums never used to smell, except for my wisdom tooth. I dont even know what a chronically infected tonsil is. Maybe if you could tell us more on this. As far as I know, a tonsil infection is painful, causes fever etc. Not sure why you are asking anyone anything to be honest, you already seem certain about what is happening. Maybe if you could also explain your logic in defying your doctor and opting to have laser surgery (cryptolysis I'm assuming?) when you already know all this about tonsils and your doctor advising you to have full tonsillectomy.
You've asked for my opinion. My opinion is leave tonsils until you've tried EVERYTHING else first.
stressedout
Master

Post by stressedout »

halitosisux, im a bit confused on the debate - tonsil problems and BB are separate matters? its easy to assume that tonsil stones cause BB, but how would BB cause tonsil stones?

are you saying that tonsil stones happen due to unfortunate shape of crypts? i will disagree with that. i started having awful stones years ago when having constant sore throats. it felt like something was stuck in my throat, i couldnt breath properly and it was obvious my BB was bad even to me. oh yeah my tongue/saliva stank. i remember having coughed up small stones rarely when being a teenager. now i have not had any tonsil stones nor sore thoat in years (knock on the wood!), and my crypts looks shallow and empty, saliva doesnt smell either.

were tonsil stones caused by constant sore throats and infection? most likely. but what causes the infection, or say frequent outburst of one? what stopped them from developing? i have my own theory on it.
firecracker

Post by firecracker »

Hi Ommang333,

I did some searching on this site and found two people who seem to have been cured or improved greatly.
Unfortunately after having been cured...they don't seem to be around anymore...usually thats what happens though, people who get cured seem to leave for good as they have other things to do with their life now that they are happy Well here they are...
Jojo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Sorry for the late feedback.
I have been quite well lately. I feel much better after the tonsillectomy, I am much more confident and comfortable. Some people may accuse me of being inaccurate with my self diagnosis as I hadn't acquired any feedback from other people nor before, nor after the operation. They may or may not be right, I don't care. It was worth it 100%, I can confidently say it was a good decision.

I am not saying that everyone who has bad breath should go and have his/her tonsils removed. In my case I was quite convinced that my tonsils were a major source of the problem, or if they were not, at least they contributed to it or worsen it. Now, afterwards, I think the latter is true.

Before the operation it was like that:
Every morning poking in the throat, trying to pick the tonsil stones out. And of course teeth and tongue wash. I have tried many things, Chlorhexidine, Chlorine-dioxide, Cinnamon, Apple cider vinegar, Hydrogen Peroxide etc., non of them helped. No metter what I did, how clean my tongue and tonsils were, I could always feel that awful smell of tonsil stones when blew out air through my nose. Even right after the morning cleaning ritual. Then during the day I developed an unpleasent taste in my mouth and my tongue became heavily coated with plaque. The taste was so annoying that I just had to chew chewing gum constantly. I could not imagine my day without gum, and even with that I felt uncomfortable.

And now it's like this:
In the morning I wash my teeth and tongue. After that it feels and smells OK. I can go for the whole day without chewing gum at all and I feel comfortable! No unbearable taste, no heavy coating on the tongue. Yeah I still wash my tongue every morning, and still feel a strange taste from time to time. Still the taste of my mouth is not as sweet at the end of the day as right after the morning tongue wash. But still it's way better and I am a happier and more confident person now.

There are people who just don't have bad breath at all ever. Not even in the morning, not even if they forget to wash their teeth for a day or two. I am afraid I am not someone like this. I think the source of the problem is not my tonsils, but the chemistry in my mouth. The tonsils just contributed to it and made it worse. And now after the operation I feel good as long as I wash my tongue every morning. I don't know how my breath compares to the avarage, or what it smells like, but from the self-experience point of view I am satisfied.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Byhisstrips
Total Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Happdays, I had mine taken out all of them....my ent didn't believe in partial removing....he said if they grow back whats the use in taking them out. I think this is why some people say it was so bad (which in my case it was, but it was worth it) and some people say it wasn't. Good luck I am sure you will see a huge difference I did...no more nasty taste or bad breath.....people are getting tired of me asking how does my breath smell, they say I don't smell nothing. Good luck!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Byhisstrips
Total Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:38 am Post subject: Another Tonsillectomy cure Reply with quote
I just want to thank you guy's sooooooo much! I too had my tonsils removed a couple of weeks ago (it was not a good feeling)and I can tell a big difference.....I didn't have too much PND, but my crypts was hidden and I couldn't see my tonsil stones.......I went ahead and did it because I had nothing to loose.....so if you do not see crypts doesn't mean that you don't have them. My tongue has never been so pink and I do not have that 24hrs a day taste anymore. I THINK THIS WAS MY PROBLEM ALL THESE YEARS food got in the crypts and I couldn't see them to remove them>>>I THANK GOD FOR THIS SITE!! GOD BLESS!!! It's like my life is starting over! I wish you all the best

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I too suffer with deep cryptic tonsils. I had a cold this week..and sometimes my tonsils would itch..and then I would squeeze them and tonstil stones and a milky liquid would come out..and then guess what afterwards the itching would go away. Last year I had not figured out the squeezing method to pop the stones out and when I was sick my tonsils would itch for a long time..it felt like bacteria was just swimming around and tickling them...but this year I know how to stop that itching real quick .

My bad breath seems to be a very distinct same odor I always smell when I wake up in the morning..of course it always stays with me 24/7. But I have come to learn what my bb smells like.
And I realize that the tonsil stones and the milky liquid that often comes out when I squeeze smells exactly like my bad breath! Also I'm very sure food gets trapped in there...because when I drink my spirulina powder mix drink (it's green)...and then a few hours after..even after having drinked some water, and then when I go to squeeze my tonsil..green particles come out..so that just proves to me right there that yes food does get stuck in my tonsil. Now that has to be a big part of what's causing the odor. Decaying meat, rotting dairy, sugar..all this nasty stuff just sitting in there rotting.. no wonder those tonsil stones stink so bad.
Welcome to the site..and I hope this helps.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Stressedout, all I know is that anyone who has a smelly tongue and thought it was their tonsils causing it, realises once they took their tonsils out it makes no difference to the odour on their tongue and minimal difference to the overall odour of the breath.

I dont think tonsils are producing or releasing the kind of odours into the breath that we think they do. Yes, if you press them or squeeze them you may push out a lot of skank, but how much of that is truly adding to the problem continually? Stones themselves dont smell that much until they get crushed either. Its not like there is a discharge pouring out into the mouth. The tonsils are not just pockets oozing skank like a gum pocket would do, they are part of the immune system and their role is to take in bacteria and viruses as part of the body's defense preparedness. There are white blood cells and god knows what else released that make them different to any other similar type of area where debris and bacteria would otherwise collect. Unfortunately when debris does collect in them, then extremely odourous concentrated chemicals build up in these solidifying stones.

Yes I am saying that dimensions of crypts will be a determining factor of how easily debris will get a chance to coagulate in there. Laser cryptolysis exists to help deal with this situation.

Bacterial/viral infections of the tonsils is a very different matter to what is being discussed here. Tonsillitis is the actual infection of the tonsil tissues, not just what is going on in the crypts. Odourous discharge will most definitely be produded by the tonsils during such an infection and will generally cause bad breath in a person who normally doesnt have BB, and probably tonsil stones too.

@firecracker, what you pasted there doesnt prove a thing. When I had my tonsils out my throat and tongue formed a thick brown layer of what looked like melted toffee. The only way anyone will have a nice pink tongue after a tonsillectomy is if you are put on antibiotics, so its no wonder they felt so good after. I wasnt given anything except voltarol and morphine. Bear in mind that most people with bad breath cant reliably say how bad it is in the first place, so how reliably can they say their improvements really are?
brightonguy
Advanced

Post by brightonguy »

halitosisux wrote:@Brightonguy, I've never personally known anyone else with tonsil stones. Its just my guess that tonsil stones are a product of high levels of VSCs and tongue plaque etc. Sorry if this sounds insulting, but if you are not even certain whether you have BB or not now, how do you know whether you had BB or not in your childhood and intermittently thoughout your 20s? Also your 'bad' days where you suspect your breath is bad, this might be purely coming from your nose, so it wont necessarily relate to having high levels of VSCs in your mouth and throat, and therefore why you dont get any tonsil stones.
I am certain that I have it now. I'm just not always entirely clear on when I don't have it as it's not always there. I'm certain I didn't used to have it cuz I never got any reactions or comments, I could never smell it or taste it when kissing. If I was a kid and I stunk, there's no way my schoolmates wouldn't have let me know about it! As far as I know, tonsil stones are common, particularly when you're younger, they get less common as you get older as the tonsils atrophy.
firecracker

Post by firecracker »

Jojo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:46 pm Post subject: I had my tonsils removed too! Reply with quote
Hi all,

I had my tonsils removed too! I found out I had tonsil stones. I tried every possible method to get rid of them, gargling with stuff, but I could not. They just were there every morning and they smelt bad! After reading so many positive posts, like "you have nothing to loose" and "I feel much better" I went for it.

It was done 8 days before. Up until now it was really painful, but painkillers can eliminate the pain almost completely. Still my throat looks bad, it's full of white scars, and I have intense bad breath. Friends and family say it can be smelled as soon as I walk in the room, I don't even have to talk. I suppose it needs a couple of weeks to heal.

Can some who had it, please, tell me when does the smell go away? I have to go back to work soon, actually 14 days after operation. Will the smell be any better?!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jojo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Sorry for the late feedback.
I have been quite well lately. I feel much better after the tonsillectomy, I am much more confident and comfortable. Some people may accuse me of being inaccurate with my self diagnosis as I hadn't acquired any feedback from other people nor before, nor after the operation. They may or may not be right, I don't care. It was worth it 100%, I can confidently say it was a good decision.

I am not saying that everyone who has bad breath should go and have his/her tonsils removed. In my case I was quite convinced that my tonsils were a major source of the problem, or if they were not, at least they contributed to it or worsen it. Now, afterwards, I think the latter is true.

Before the operation it was like that:
Every morning poking in the throat, trying to pick the tonsil stones out. And of course teeth and tongue wash. I have tried many things, Chlorhexidine, Chlorine-dioxide, Cinnamon, Apple cider vinegar, Hydrogen Peroxide etc., non of them helped. No metter what I did, how clean my tongue and tonsils were, I could always feel that awful smell of tonsil stones when blew out air through my nose. Even right after the morning cleaning ritual. Then during the day I developed an unpleasent taste in my mouth and my tongue became heavily coated with plaque. The taste was so annoying that I just had to chew chewing gum constantly. I could not imagine my day without gum, and even with that I felt uncomfortable...........
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

According to Jojo, he had his tonsillectomy 8 days before he posted a reply on Nov 2, 2007..so that would mean his tonsillectomy was done around Oct. 25, 2007.

Then Jojo posted again on April 13, 2008 saying how his tonsillectomy was 100% worth it for him. That is 5 months and 19 days after his tonsillectomy. Well enough time for him to be off the tonsillectomy medications and for him to see the full effects of his tonsillectomy.

The posters's question was..."My question to members is has anobody been cured by tonillectomy?". I searched the threads to see who posted saying they felt the tonsillectomy helped them alot and they feel it was very worth it to them and they feel glad in their decision to have gotten one. I was not trying to "Prove" anything. I was merely just responding to this poster's question.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will say that from what I have read over a long time on these threads..that there have been many members on this forum that have gotten one..and it seems that in most cases the tonsillectomy does not help much..the bb comes back. I would say just from reading this site alone.. it's something like maybe 1 person out of 10 who had it done, feel it cured them. And by that I mean they are confident about their breath now..happy... they are like normal people now instead of chronic bb sufferers, and these people usually end up leaving this site. Then there may be a few who had like a forty to sixty percent reduction of bb overall.. For them the tonsils were not the complete reason of their bb, but contributed. Now the million dollar question is...can a bb sufferer be cured by tonsillectomy? Especially one who has smelly deep cryptic tonsils?

I think what would be very helpful would be for us to collect and save these stories whenever we stumble upon them online..save the posters name, date, what site you found them on...so that we can refer to them and share them with others.
To help cryptic tonsil sufferers come to their own conclusions on what is best for them.

Because as we all know..."The Cure is NOT the same for Everybody".

Best of luck to everyone,
Firecracker
Last edited by firecracker on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ommang333
Total Newbie

Post by Ommang333 »

hi firecracker, thanks for so much of quality information.
Ommang333
Total Newbie

Post by Ommang333 »

firecraker, you know, your sharing of those success stories after tonsillectomy really gives good ray of hope to people suffering from bb with infected tonsils.
Just like the members who were cured after tonsillectomy, their symptoms prior to tonsillectomy is similar to mine ( bad taste around mouth and throat, white tongue early in the morning, horrible halitosis whenever tonsil get infected). If not, I am about 90% sure that my bb is from my tonsils.
Other members please share your stories and symptoms if you had history of tonsil problems.
OneDay111
Sheriff

Post by OneDay111 »

Ommang333 wrote:firecraker, you know, your sharing of those success stories after tonsillectomy really gives good ray of hope to people suffering from bb with infected tonsils.
Just like the members who were cured after tonsillectomy, their symptoms prior to tonsillectomy is similar to mine ( bad taste around mouth and throat, white tongue early in the morning, horrible halitosis whenever tonsil get infected). If not, I am about 90% sure that my bb is from my tonsils.
Other members please share your stories and symptoms if you had history of tonsil problems.
Dont get your hopes up, because if your hopes are high and their is success then it doesnt feel as good, if there is failure it feels horrible, I mean horrible.
One Day One Day....
danger
Master

Post by danger »

do people with healthy tonsils still have slight holes? i have a slight hole on one side where if i poke my finger around i get a slight odour sometimes. when i look in the mirror my tonsils look like a healthy pink colour though. i have never as far as i am aware had tonsil stones

would people without bad breath and healthy tonsils still get a bit of an odour on their tonsils sometimes or are they constantly clean?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic