Your Email Address:

First Name:

White tongue doesn't mean bad breath?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
impactdial

White tongue doesn't mean bad breath?

Post by impactdial »

I was thinking about this, as Ive read a few times here that white tongue, bad taste doesn't necessarily mean bad breath. And people say they know others with white tongues whose breath smells fine, and of course the same applies to me, I know alot of people with disgusting tongues but dont have bad breath.

But I was thinking, what if thats only because the root cause of their white tongue is either inadequate cleaning or lack of enough hydration. Its hard to ask others if they clean their tongue, because most likely they will say they do even if they don't do it propely so it can be hard to truly gauge why they have a white tongue.

Could a white tongue ONLY after rigorous cleaning and hydration mean that you have bad breath? Whereas the people we know perhaps only have a temporary white tongue that would go away if they drank more water or actually properly cleaned their tongue?

My coating is pretty much permanent at the back, but the front tends to be ok after brushing. I did take antihistamines for two weeks which cleared up the back alot, but then it really hurt my throat (which probably signifies some type of reflux?).

Dead
Advanced
Re: White tongue doesn't mean bad breath?

Post by Dead »

I think that white tongue = biofilm on tongue. Wether the biofilm is smelly or not i guess depends on which bacteria species are living in it. If for example the bacterial make up in it produces mostly odorless gases like co2 or methane. Then i guess it wouldn't cause bad breath.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic