Your Email Address:

First Name:

Getting My Tonsils/Adenoids Removed Tuesday 2-2-2016

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
FuckHalitosis

Post by FuckHalitosis »

Archimonde wrote:FuckHalitosis, how did you manage to convince your doc to do the surgery, what arguments did you use?

Thanks btw.
I didn't really have to work hard to convince him. I just knew the side effects of Chronic tonsillitis. So I told him I kept getting sore throats and coughing up tonsil stones and I had very bad breath. I lied about the stones and the sore throats. I have coughed up only one stone my whole life. And I had not had a sore throat in years. But I did emphasize the bad breath and the impact that was having on my life. I lucked out because my ENT really did listen and really took the bad breath part seriously. I told him I had been to another ENT and he did not listen. I told him I flew all the way out to another state to see an ENT and told him what that ENT told me. So I think he knew how serious I was. He didn't even offer me the course of anti biotics. I told him I wanted the procedure and he scheduled it. He automatically gave me forms for the tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Right before surgery I told him please make sure to get the adenoid. And the first thing he said to me when I woke up after the procedure was I got the adenoid. I think he knew my main concern was the halitosis and he wanted to help me.

My doctor has a D.O. designation behind his name, like some have MD or DDS (Dentists). I read about the D.O. designation and from what I gathered they are taught to listen more to the patients.

I think you have to go in there on your mission. You can't be rude or overly forceful but you have to say I read that both the adenoid and the paletine tonsils are contributing to my halitosis. It is ruining my life and I need to get them BOTH removed. Share your pain with them. And tell them what you want them to do. If one says no, you have to go to the next one. If you can find one who uses coblation, I would recommend that. Its better than knives and lasers. But be persistent. I did reference some of the information that I got from here. Go in there armed to the teeth with information. If you put your mind to it you will get the ENT to do what you want him to do. Do not settle for less. If he says your adenoid is not big enough tell him I want whatever is there removed I don't care how small it is. Get what you want and do not accept anything less. This was my 1st procedure, but he was the 3rd ENT I visited. Decide exactly what you want done beforehand then find someone who will do all of it, not half. Hope that helps.

StinkBomb

Post by StinkBomb »

Some of the other success stories found cysts or Tornwaldt cysts. Did your ENT mention this at all?
FuckHalitosis

Post by FuckHalitosis »

StinkBomb wrote:Some of the other success stories found cysts or Tornwaldt cysts. Did your ENT mention this at all?

No my ENT did not mention this. He did not even look at my adenoid at my consult. He looked at my tonsils and confirmed they were cryptic. I think he could smell my breath. When I went in for the consult I messed up because I had not read the post by 9yearstofindcure about the adenoid. The ENT examined my tonsils and gave me the forms for tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy because I think he usually just does those together. So when I went in for the procedure I told him right before he operated on me that I had read about the adenoids being a big part of the problem so please make sure he gets whatever is there no matter how small. And when I woke up he confirmed that he got it. He did not have much time to talk after the procedure because he only does operations on Tuesdays and one other day of the week. So on those days he does back to back to back surgical procedures all day. So this coming Thursday will be the 1st time I get to have an actual conversation with him since the procedure. I can ask him then what he saw when he went in there. Maybe I had cysts or something like that, won't know till then.
FuckHalitosis

Post by FuckHalitosis »

I did forget to mention one great experience that I had today. I am still eating mostly soft foods like soup, grits and mashed potatoes. I went to Outback today to get some potato soup (their potato soup is the best) and it was very crowded. I was in the little carry out and pickup order room. The restaurant was very busy and my voice is still kind of weak from the surgery. I was ordering the soup and the server taking my order could not hear me. So I had to get very close to her and say the order directly in her face so she could hear me. I did that and got zero reaction. She actually smiled at me, which you know will never happen if your breath is foul. I was actually stuck in that crammed space with other people picking up their orders. I was actually able to talk to them. No reactions. I actually felt like a normal human being for the first time in a long time. No gum, no mints, just me. That was an amazing experience for me.
FuckHalitosis

Post by FuckHalitosis »

Just wanted to give another update to the board. I went in for my post op yesterday (Thursday 2-18-16) with my ENT and everything is good. My scab formations are still there but are far less. The pain is mostly gone in my throat. I did ask him if he saw anything weird like cysts or anything in there. He said no. There was just a little bit of adenoid tissue left which he removed along with the palentine tonsils. My turbinate reduction is causing me a little problem on my left side. He removed a scab and I believe I have a slight infection because my upper left face and turbinate is somewhat sore. I did not ask him to smell my breath but I did notice that he was a lot closer to me and sat directly infornt of my face. In the initial consult after he examined my tonsils he sat a larger distance from me when explaining the procedures. I even went out to an event last night and I was able to talk very close to people with no reactions from them. My car did not have the odor in it that I could detect when I would get out and get back into the car. I think I can actually ride in a car with the windows up with a person. I am still going to wait to reserve my final judgement to when I am fully healed. And I will keep posting. But based on what I have observed of myself so far I am 95% certain that my halitosis has been cured.
StinkBomb

Post by StinkBomb »

Awesome! I'm happy for you.

Do you think it was mostly from the Adenoids, Palatine Tonsils or the Turbinates? or a combination?

Also, did you ever ask anyone if your breath was bad before the procedure?

Thanks for the update.
FuckHalitosis

Post by FuckHalitosis »

StinkBomb wrote:Awesome! I'm happy for you.

Do you think it was mostly from the Adenoids, Palatine Tonsils or the Turbinates? or a combination?

Also, did you ever ask anyone if your breath was bad before the procedure?

Thanks for the update.
I think it was 50% adenoids and 50% palentine tonsils. My breath was extremely offensive. I have had several women I dated come out and tell me to my face that my breath was terrible. And it got worse the older I got. When it got to the point where it would prevent me from getting second dates and even getting sex at all I stopped dating and focused on finding a solution to the problem. I also withdrew from most social engagement. I am very aware of how bad my breath was.

My palentines were diagnosed by 2 ENTs to be cryptic. So that gave the bacteria a place to thrive and they got to eat every time I ate because of the crypts. So that definitely contributed to it. Then the PND had a terrible putrid taste to it so most likely there were bacteria in the adenoid tissue that lived off of the mucus. So these were two foul conditions working together so my breath was twice as terrible as regular bad breath. So I think if I had gotten one without the other the odor may have decreased but still an odor would have persisted. And the turbinate reduction may have contributed to the success also because now my nose produces less mucus. I no longer have PND. So all possible sources to feed and harbor the bacteria in the oral and nasal tonsils have been eliminated. The crypts are what traps small food particles and holds it for the bacteria. They can not live in the crypts in the palentines any more because the palentines are gone. The adenoid tissue is completely removed so no germs can infest there and live off the mucus. And on top of that the turbinates have been reduced so the flow of mucus is drastically reduced. I think all sources were eliminated and that is why the procedures were effective.
ThinkPositive
Junior

Post by ThinkPositive »

so like what happened? Did you find any relief through the procedures?
FuckHalitosis

Post by FuckHalitosis »

ThinkPositive wrote:so like what happened? Did you find any relief through the procedures?
Yes. I no longer have halitosis.
ttylxman

Post by ttylxman »

Very interesting. Congratulations, man!

Seems like chronic type 1 halitosis is almost invariably caused by infections in root canals, tonsils or wisdom teeth pockets.

Definitely good places to start looking, even if there are no symptoms.

So just to confirm.. you couldn't smell your own breath, but how about the lick test? You mention a bad taste in your PND. If you don't clean out your mouth for extended periods of time, does your whole mouth begin to taste rancid?

And finally, your breath cleared up without any use of antibiotics? I thought these were standard after any oral surgeries.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully you will never have to suffer this problem again.
FuckHalitosis

Post by FuckHalitosis »

ttylxman wrote:Very interesting. Congratulations, man!

Seems like chronic type 1 halitosis is almost invariably caused by infections in root canals, tonsils or wisdom teeth pockets.

Definitely good places to start looking, even if there are no symptoms.

So just to confirm.. you couldn't smell your own breath, but how about the lick test? You mention a bad taste in your PND. If you don't clean out your mouth for extended periods of time, does your whole mouth begin to taste rancid?

And finally, your breath cleared up without any use of antibiotics? I thought these were standard after any oral surgeries.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully you will never have to suffer this problem again.
I could not smell my own breath. There may have been a few times in the shower when I smelled it but for the most part I could not. The lick test did not work for me either. The only time I can really fathom what my breath must have smelled like is when i smelled the tonsil stone that I coughed up. It smelled absolutely horrific. And I can imagine why women and even guys would smell that and run from me. I know if I smelled that coming out of a person I would get away from that person too.

I still get bad breath if I don't do my oral hygiene. Like if I go to bed without brushing and flossing I will wake up the next morning with bad breath. But its normal people bad breath. If I do my hygiene it will go away. Most true sufferers are like I used to be, there was no getting away from the halitosis. And if the hygiene was bad it would be even more severe. So I am not completely immune from bad breath. And I am still nervous so if I am going to do any social interaction best believe my oral hygiene is on point. And I still brush floss and rinse immediately after every meal when I am around other people. But now I feel as though I can manage my breath like a normal person. I even have an issue where i think there is something going on between two of my back teeth where I have a crown because when I floss there I can smell and odor. But it's manageable and I'll be getting that fixed soon.

One good thing I can say is that the halitosis did make me develop very good oral hygiene habits. They have served me well and I have a very nice set of teeth.

I never took any antibiotics. My general practitioner offered a course to me but I declined and asked for the referral. And my ENT never offered it to me before or after the surgery.

One thing I did notice since the surgery is that because my turbinates were reduced now when I sneeze stuff flies out of my nose. It's disgusting, but it's true. At first the stuff was kind of smelly. I gues the bacteria was still in the mucus. But now the mucus that flies out has no odor.

Hope that answers your questions. I will be around so if any of you have anymore questions for me please feel free to ask. I will provide any information that I can. I know we may have different causes for our problem. Some of our problems may be the same also. I am hoping that each of you finds your cure because I strongly empathize with the pain and isolation and feeling of helplessness. Never give up. I have known I had bad breath for over 20 years. And it got worse and worse over the years. But every time I found a potential new cause I did something about it. If you keep going you will find your cure.

P.S. I added a new thing to my oral hygiene since my surgery. I chew cloves. I am big into herbs and I have a bag of organic dried cloves. After I do my nightly oral hygiene I chew the cloves. You can google cloves. They disinfect your mouth and nasal area. It is an intense experience. But when you wake up in the morning you can tell the difference. Disinfects the teeth, gums and esophagus. I love it.
salehia802
Post by salehia802 »

hi FuckHalitosis
Congratulations!
i have it for years too. and started my cure months with wisdom teeth and 5 days ago did tonsillectomy. Dr. said after surgery i had no adenoid (he was 5th ENT i visited and agreed to do adenoidectomy) but i can’t believe it. so now i’m waiting to continue after convalescence!
( i want to check all the causes of bad breath. one by one!)
i can’t smell the odor now but see reactions and you had it after surgery too. so im sure i have it.
could you speak days after surgery?
have you ever had white tongue? and please explain more about stuff flies out of your nose...cause i need to have turbinate reduction too.

And please keep updating after 2/3 months. i really want to know if it backs or not...Thank you.
Apologies for my English. It’s not my first language.
FuckHalitosis

Post by FuckHalitosis »

salehia802 wrote:hi FuckHalitosis
Congratulations!
i have it for years too. and started my cure months with wisdom teeth and 5 days ago did tonsillectomy. Dr. said after surgery i had no adenoid (he was 5th ENT i visited and agreed to do adenoidectomy) but i can’t believe it. so now i’m waiting to continue after convalescence!
( i want to check all the causes of bad breath. one by one!)
i can’t smell the odor now but see reactions and you had it after surgery too. so im sure i have it.
could you speak days after surgery?
have you ever had white tongue? and please explain more about stuff flies out of your nose...cause i need to have turbinate reduction too.

And please keep updating after 2/3 months. i really want to know if it backs or not...Thank you.
Apologies for my English. It’s not my first language.
I had my wisdom teeth extracted too years ago hoping that would solve my problem and it didn't. I have very straight teeth naturally but my wisdoms grew in very crooked and they were so far back i could not clean them. They would be black when I go get them cleaned.

The first 7 days after the surgery it was difficult for me to speak. If I spoke for more than a minute I experienced extreme pain. So I did not do too much talking.

Yes there is an odor from the wounds that was there after the surgery during the healing process. My ENT told me that would happen. That went away in a few weeks. I actually could smell that odor. I guess the old bad breath had been with me so long my brain could no longer detect it. But the odor from the wounds was new and different so my brain could detect it.

I had constant white tongue before the surgery. It is a lot less now. I would scrub my tongue with baking soda and it would be pink for a few minutes but mostly it was a strong white all the time. It is not like that anymore. I may get a little white tongue at the back of my mouth sometimes but nothing like before.

My turbinates were large. So before the surgery if I sneezed they would block stuff from flying out. The stuff would get stuck in my nostrils. But now since there is nothing to block the mucus, the force of the sneeze shoots the stuff completely out of my nose onto my shirt sometimes. It's kinda gross but I feel like the sneezing function works better now. That's how your body rids itself of mucus or particles that its does not want in the body. Its just nasty to have that stuff flying out.

I don't think the halitosis will come back. I pray to God that it does not. But if it does I will let you guys know.
salehia802
Post by salehia802 »

i really pray to God that it wont get back for you and you remain healthy forever..

yes...because putridity is the cause and reason for many disease and sneezing doesn't let it to remain in body.

you said you use herbs..so i suggest you for white tongue Coriander(or Coriander seed)- apple vinegar- salt- coconut oil... and there are many other useful things. the oral thrush or Candida albicans is another cause of bad breath that using one of these (esp Coriander(or Coriander seed)) for several days instead of chemical medicine is really effective.

hope your health...
thank you for response
jess
Sheriff

Post by jess »

@ FuckHalitosis, Thank you for all the updates. I'm so happy for you. Reading your latest posts gives me more hope. I just posted an update regarding my upcoming surgery. I pray to God this is it for me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic