Your Email Address:

First Name:

Rebound Effect

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ExhaleSafely

Rebound Effect

Post by ExhaleSafely »

Hi all,

So I'm wondering what peoples' opinions are on the forum regarding "rebound" bad breath - basically smelling your own breath during a conversation with someone else.

I for one do know that to some degree it is possible, and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this phenomena.

This was brought back to my attention today when I was in a store. I spoke to a sales representative, and as he replied to me, I instantly smelled something foul. Now, I try to not judge peoples' hygiene practices based on their appearance, as I am a very clean person (as surely everyone on this board is) but still struggle with smell. But in being purely objective, this guy looked like he didn't groom himself too thoroughly (a bit heavy, long scraggly beard, long hair, etc.). Not saying he doesn't take care of himself, but there's at least a little chance that he didn't come to work with the freshest of breath too.

So, of course it's possible that I actually smelled the bad breath of another person, or, perhaps it was rebound of my own. When I did notice it I got really flush and nervous/embarrassed. It really is difficult to deal with bad breath for people on either side of the fence.

What do you guys/gals thing on here: Is rebound something that happens often, sometimes, or never?

Thanks

Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

I don't buy this "rebound" effect. It's paranoia. So you spoke to someone and as he talked back you smelled something bad. That's because he had bad breath. Everyone has bad breath from time to time. So isn't it likely that some of the people you talk to will occasionally have bad breath themselves?
somethinstinks
Advanced

Re: Rebound Effect

Post by somethinstinks »

ExhaleSafely wrote:Hi all,

So I'm wondering what peoples' opinions are on the forum regarding "rebound" bad breath - basically smelling your own breath during a conversation with someone else.

I for one do know that to some degree it is possible, and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this phenomena.

This was brought back to my attention today when I was in a store. I spoke to a sales representative, and as he replied to me, I instantly smelled something foul. Now, I try to not judge peoples' hygiene practices based on their appearance, as I am a very clean person (as surely everyone on this board is) but still struggle with smell. But in being purely objective, this guy looked like he didn't groom himself too thoroughly (a bit heavy, long scraggly beard, long hair, etc.). Not saying he doesn't take care of himself, but there's at least a little chance that he didn't come to work with the freshest of breath too.

So, of course it's possible that I actually smelled the bad breath of another person, or, perhaps it was rebound of my own. When I did notice it I got really flush and nervous/embarrassed. It really is difficult to deal with bad breath for people on either side of the fence.

What do you guys/gals thing on here: Is rebound something that happens often, sometimes, or never?

Thanks
i dont have much to offer in terms of feedback on rebound effect, but just curious how you reacted to the odor? i dont think I react visibly when i smell someone else's breath
ExhaleSafely

Post by ExhaleSafely »

I know to some extent however it can exist. I have verified this before with a friend of mine. However, most of the time it's probably nothing more than paranoia.

Somethingstinks, my reaction to the smell wasn't much of anything, however I definitely noticed it and immediately felt flush and embarrassed (thinking it was coming from me). Wouldn't be surprised if perhaps my eyes widened a bit, but I don't think I gave any noticeable tells.
pinane
Total Newbie

Post by pinane »

I experienced exactly the same. And I know it was my breath that bounced back. I can not smell myself normally and that is the only moment I can actually detect it, it changes from time to time but very foul. And the strange thing is, only when I approach certain people I can smell it, not every one. This has been posted before: viewtopic.php?t=5415
Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

pinane wrote:I experienced exactly the same. And I know it was my breath that bounced back. I can not smell myself normally and that is the only moment I can actually detect it, it changes from time to time but very foul. And the strange thing is, only when I approach certain people I can smell it, not every one. This has been posted before: viewtopic.php?t=5415
How do you know it was your breath you smelled, and not the person talking to you?
pinane
Total Newbie

Post by pinane »

Corpsebreath wrote:
pinane wrote:I experienced exactly the same. And I know it was my breath that bounced back. I can not smell myself normally and that is the only moment I can actually detect it, it changes from time to time but very foul. And the strange thing is, only when I approach certain people I can smell it, not every one. This has been posted before: viewtopic.php?t=5415
How do you know it was your breath you smelled, and not the person talking to you?
I knew it because everyone else has no problem talking to others face to face but me. The bad breath thing is weird because my family and I can not detect it, but I got reactions everyday.
Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

pinane wrote:
Corpsebreath wrote:
I knew it because everyone else has no problem talking to others face to face but me. The bad breath thing is weird because my family and I can not detect it, but I got reactions everyday.
What sort of reactions do you get?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic