Your Email Address:

First Name:

Do you get reactions like this?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......

Do you get similar reactions to those in these videos?

yes
67%
no
33%

Total votes: 3

somethinstinks
Advanced

Do you get reactions like this?

Post by somethinstinks »

Was scouring youtube in hopes of finding out what my problem was exactly and came across a couple of reaction videos that I found similar to my experiences (except not as much nose blowing). Do you get similar reactions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-oBwuGkbUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGGdHk6KOIM

Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

Those are not reactions. It's normal human behaviour. If that is what you are dealing with, you are probably suffering from "ORS". It's a form of delusion. Many people on this forum do. Please read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory ... e_syndrome
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

Corpsebreath wrote:Those are not reactions. It's normal human behaviour. If that is what you are dealing with, you are probably suffering from "ORS". It's a form of delusion. Many people on this forum do. Please read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory ... e_syndrome
thanks for the reply and the link. I did read it and did notice some similarities to what I'm dealing with, but it almost makes it sound like everyone who thinks they smell is imagining it. I would think we all suffer from some of the symptoms they listed. Also I'm certain that people rub their nose a lot when they're around me. It happens all too often.. someone rubs their nose around me (sometimes almost non-stop), then when i watch them from a distance they no longer need to rub their nose :-s . So something's gotta be causing it... add the awkwardness of others around me ](*,)
The article also mentions fish/vaginal/feces odors.. are they implying TMAU doesn't exist? cause I think TMAU def exists.

Also, are you suggesting those reactions in the video weren't to him? I would doubt that it was a coincidence.

Thanks
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

If you can't see this behaviour as anything other than totally normal behaviour, you need help.

What's more likely - that certain people emit gas or particles that just happen to make people around them spontaneously rub their noses, cough, etc - or that certain people develop a paranoia that makes them believe this is happening?

People with "PATM" are not always people concerned about odour. The paranoia can affect anyone. And no coincidence either that a lot of people worrying about BB describe seeing PATM-like reactions - because they've become paranoid.

I may be wrong, and that there is some kind of chemical or particles being released from some people, which others find they are allergic to. But I think it's more likely to be paranoia. Try to search for videos on YouTube about PATM reactions - these are the same ones I saw about a year ago when this was last mentioned.
Atrial
Advanced

Post by Atrial »

halitosisux wrote:If you can't see this behaviour as anything other than totally normal behaviour, you need help.

What's more likely - that certain people emit gas or particles that just happen to make people around them spontaneously rub their noses, cough, etc - or that certain people develop a paranoia that makes them believe this is happening?

People with "PATM" are not always people concerned about odour. The paranoia can affect anyone. And no coincidence either that a lot of people worrying about BB describe seeing PATM-like reactions - because they've become paranoid.

I may be wrong, and that there is some kind of chemical or particles being released from some people, which others find they are allergic to. But I think it's more likely to be paranoia. Try to search for videos on YouTube about PATM reactions - these are the same ones I saw about a year ago when this was last mentioned.

Stop deluding yourself be a man and face the reality there is no "patm".
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

halitosisux wrote:If you can't see this behaviour as anything other than totally normal behaviour, you need help.

people definitely react to me. People around me rub their noses. it's really not a matter of if people do, its more a matter of why?. Countless times ill be talking to someone and theyll rub their nose while talking to me or before responding. On top of that many times people are very awkward around me and will talk to me without making eye contact or avoid me/give me weird looks.
Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

somethinstinks wrote:

people definitely react to me. People around me rub their noses. it's really not a matter of if people do, its more a matter of why?. Countless times ill be talking to someone and theyll rub their nose while talking to me or before responding. On top of that many times people are very awkward around me and will talk to me without making eye contact or avoid me/give me weird looks.
And how about you, are you awkward around others? Am i wrong in assuming you are shy? A lot of people tend to feel "unsure" when speaking to someone who is shy. Maybe that's why hey touch their noses. How old are you?
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

Corpsebreath wrote:
somethinstinks wrote:

And how about you, are you awkward around others? Am i wrong in assuming you are shy? A lot of people tend to feel "unsure" when speaking to someone who is shy. Maybe that's why hey touch their noses. How old are you?
you're right I'm kinda shy and at times awkward (i think all of us on here probably are.. we are almost forced to be). But I doubt its the way I act. Even when I try to be normal i get reactions
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I'm extremely shy too. Sensitive and self-conscious. My mind never ever stops talking to itself when other people are around me. It's like I'm always on alert for that one stupid bastard to say or do something to bring me down. It's almost as if I advertise myself with the way I act around others. And putting on a shyness is like I'm telling people I'm not going to do anything to them, in the hope they won't do anything to me. Yet I know deep down I could floor anyone.

One thing I really hate is when people act as though they're sniffing the air because they've smelled something. It's almost as though they're doing it on purpose. Yet I know it's just in my head because if I stand back and watch others in groups, it still happens amongst them too. But it's very hard not to end up convinced they're doing it with me because they smell something.

And I can only imagine it's the same thing for others when they see nose rubs etc.
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

halitosisux wrote:I'm extremely shy too. Sensitive and self-conscious. My mind never ever stops talking to itself when other people are around me. It's like I'm always on alert for that one stupid bastard to say or do something to bring me down. It's almost as if I advertise myself with the way I act around others. And putting on a shyness is like I'm telling people I'm not going to do anything to them, in the hope they won't do anything to me. Yet I know deep down I could floor anyone.

One thing I really hate is when people act as though they're sniffing the air because they've smelled something. It's almost as though they're doing it on purpose. Yet I know it's just in my head because if I stand back and watch others in groups, it still happens amongst them too. But it's very hard not to end up convinced they're doing it with me because they smell something.

And I can only imagine it's the same thing for others when they see nose rubs etc.
Yes this is definitely a humbling experience. Its hard to not be shy or timid when you're so self conscious and are constantly reminded of it. I'm curious how you know you have halitosis?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Yes it is a humbling experience when you are trapped by this affliction, halitophobic or not. I have always had reliable feedback on my breath from my brother, but he loses his patience very quickly if ever I mention this "problem". People who don't have BB simply do not understand how BB can be a problem. To him it's like I'm complaining of smelling of strawberries. Yet it was mostly him that made me so self conscious in the first place.

I've never suffered with nasal or body odour, so it's a lot easier for me to know what's happening with my breath. At the moment the best way I've found to know what my breath is like is to gauge the odour of my tongue, and to do several other "tests". The simplest being to stand in a corner of a neutral smelling room that I've just walked into, clear my nose, and just breathe into the corner and try to catch the rebound. If you keep repeating this you find the correct position and you can smell your breath clearly. I'd love to know what my actual gas concentrations are though. Cheap reliable detectors are being developed to plug into iPhones etc.

God really did his homework on this one, ensuring maximum confusion and madness. Let's not go into why though.
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

halitosisux wrote:Yes it is a humbling experience when you are trapped by this affliction, halitophobic or not. I have always had reliable feedback on my breath from my brother, but he loses his patience very quickly if ever I mention this "problem". People who don't have BB simply do not understand how BB can be a problem. To him it's like I'm complaining of smelling of strawberries. Yet it was mostly him that made me so self conscious in the first place.

I've never suffered with nasal or body odour, so it's a lot easier for me to know what's happening with my breath. At the moment the best way I've found to know what my breath is like is to gauge the odour of my tongue, and to do several other "tests". The simplest being to stand in a corner of a neutral smelling room that I've just walked into, clear my nose, and just breathe into the corner and try to catch the rebound. If you keep repeating this you find the correct position and you can smell your breath clearly. I'd love to know what my actual gas concentrations are though. Cheap reliable detectors are being developed to plug into iPhones etc.

God really did his homework on this one, ensuring maximum confusion and madness. Let's not go into why though.
its great that you have a gauge in your brother that you can at least check in with from time to time. How was he the one who made you self conscious? Also, what would you consider true bad breath reactions?

and yeah ive been dealing with this condition for years and years and am still trying to figure it out
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

My brother and sister constantly taunting me about it during childhood. No reaction can ever be considered a definite confirmation, and far more likely to be part of a paranoia.

As a guide though, if you have ever watched the behaviour of people around a person you know to have BB, it depends very much on the person and persons around them. Some people will try go out of their way to pretend they can't smell anything. Others will try to make a point of it by coughing and being completely over the top about it. The most usual thing is that people just politely steer clear or move into clear air as soon as they can
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

halitosisux wrote:My brother and sister constantly taunting me about it during childhood. No reaction can ever be considered a definite confirmation, and far more likely to be part of a paranoia.

As a guide though, if you have ever watched the behaviour of people around a person you know to have BB, it depends very much on the person and persons around them. Some people will try go out of their way to pretend they can't smell anything. Others will try to make a point of it by coughing and being completely over the top about it. The most usual thing is that people just politely steer clear or move into clear air as soon as they can
oddly the times i do notice people with bad breath conversing with others (not that often) I don't really notice anyone reacting
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Yep, that's what I mean. I've never relied on reactions (mostly because I have always tried to prevent subjecting anyone to my breath) but mostly because I know for a fact that if I'm looking for (or expecting) a reaction to my breath, I'll see one, even if my breath smells as clear as mountain air. Those PATM videos really are a joke.

There have been odd occasions where I'm able to speak to complete strangers who I'll never see again, and even when I know my breath has been at it's worst, I talk all over them without any stress, and I see no adverse reaction whatsoever. The only way to know you have BB is when someone you trust can tell you about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic